ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

SITE Admin Profiles - Getting to know each other

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/01/10 03:31 PM Views: 2788 Replies: 18
Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM

A Suggestion & Request for you Brad,

How about establishing a IdeaSite Admin Profile PageIdea here on the forum similar to what each of our CLASS sites have?

A few of us Site Admins have been discussing this idea for some time.Wink I think the time has come, now that there is an interest in having a Class Creator Convention. Something like this could be a great resource tool for just about anything Class Creator might want to put together. The biggest value of course is that many of us are part of a "FAMILY" and all the rest of you are "Cousins" whom we've lost touch with over the years.

Certainly some of the questions need to be changed. My guess is that several will share their ideas. I know I have a few that I'd like to see. For now, I'd like to see what others think of this idea & perhaps add their own questions.

Brad, The word "Profiles" would fit very nicely between "Members" & "Search" in that top line that begins with "Forum List."

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM - Response #1

Sounds good to me. It would be interesting to find out a little more of the regular posters..and the newbies too.
BTW...John..where the heck our you now??? Meaning City???
We had our reunion 2 wks ago..still trying to recover!!! I have to start building the Post Reunion Page and upload my photos and videos. I need a little R&R from the site. I do spend about an hour or two a day on it.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM - Response #2

I like it! Admin profiles. Could it just link to the ones on our websites? That would give us a taste of how we're each laying out our pages via Profile Generator. I'd rather not have yet another profile to fill out, if it were to be separate and somehow incorporated in the CC Forums.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM - Response #3

Great idea. The Admin Forums are great source. Anything that we can do to take it to the next level. JohnB

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 9:32 PM - Response #4

Great idea . . . we communicate a lot with each other and would be nice to get to know all of you administrators better!
Louise

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM - Response #5

How about this:

1) A new optional setting here in these forums to open up your password protected Profile on your Class web site to just fellow Administrators here.
2) For those who turn it on, a new "View Profile" button on the left.

This way people wouldn't have to maintain separate Profiles but could easily share Site Profiles with other Admins here. Thoughts?

Edited 09/02/10 12:37 AM
Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 12:32 AM - Response #6

Aren't the search engines crawling these forums? Wouldn't they have access to our profiles?Question

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 12:43 AM - Response #7

No, they would be readable just to fellow Administrators here. I.E.

1) Allowing it at all would be optional in the first place.
2) Those who allow it would only be allowing other CC Admins into the Profile, no public and no search engines.

It's pretty easy to do this, you'd have to have a CC Admin cookie to click the Profile button, which only CC Admins have. Otherwise when the button is clicked the viewer would be asked to log in, and of course you can only log in here if you're a CC Admin. I suspect the Programmers have other measures to further secure this as well.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM - Response #8

I was thinking I didn't have to log in here -- but now that you mention it, I am entering via a link on my home page that only Admins on my site can see and I do recall that quick message "Log In Successful" when I reach the Help Forums.

ThanksRolling Eyes

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 1:35 AM - Response #9

Yup. That link on your site bypasses the login process here because we already know you're an Admin. And we know what Admin you are. We know lots of other stuff too but I'll never tell.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 2:09 AM - Response #10

I keep my webcam unplugged. Especially when I see you staring at me from the screen several times a day. Embarassed

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM - Response #11

Wise. Very, very wise.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:14 PM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

How about this:

1) A new optional setting here in these forums to open up your password protected Profile on your Class web site to just fellow Administrators here.

This way people wouldn't have to maintain separate Profiles but could easily share Site Profiles with other Admins here. Thoughts?

Brad,

I for one see no problem with your "counter-offer." I then presume, that all other profiles on any particular class would still be BLOCKED? I have no problem with other admins viewing the rest of my site, but want to be sure that if they can, that they DO NOT have privileges to change any of the content (unless I give them those rights). Am I correct? And if so--then I'm all for this modification.

Funny, the two people who convinced me that I should be the one to post this idea haven't even so much as "blipped on the radar screen" yet! I'm beginning to think maybe these two are in some way related to my Class of 1961. Crying or Very sad

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM - Response #13

This only applies to your own personal Profile, and it only pertains to other Admins here viewing it (if you first allow it that is). No other Profiles would be affected in any way, nor would any other pages of your site be accessible by Admins here.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM - Response #14

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yup. That link on your site bypasses the login process here because we already know you're an Admin. And we know what Admin you are. We know lots of other stuff too but I'll never tell.

It's especially comforting to know too that my xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ID sometimes shows up in Salt Lake City, UT and sometimes Seattle, WA and other times Mexico City. And since I also have five totally different static IP addresses, (along with a couple hundred dynamic IP addresses) depending on which service I chose to use, this must keep you guessing all the time, doesn't it Brad? RazzRazz

Edited 09/02/10 10:25 PM
Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:24 PM - Response #15

If I answered this question regarding whether you are keeping us guessing it would prevent me from keeping you guessing as to whether or not we are guessing, I guess.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:28 PM - Response #16

Okay no more guessing--

Approximate Timeframe when this modified request will become active?

Thursday, September 2, 2010 at 10:43 PM - Response #17

I'll say early winter. Unfortunately I'm letting too many things get in the way of the system overhaul, which has to come before all kinds of other things can happen, so by and large everything is going to have to sit on the backburner until that is done.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 11:24 PM - Response #18

How about this:

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.