ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

join here link broken

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/19/16 02:47 PM Views: 931 Replies: 5
Friday, February 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM

On our site, the "join here" link near the login box on the home page is broken. Clicking on it takes you to Classmate Profiles instead of a dialog to join.

As far as I know, I cannot access that link.

Will Class Creator fix it for me?

We are just about to launch a US Mail campaign to get remaining class members to join in advance of our upcoming reunion.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 2:53 PM - Response #1

This is working AS DESIGNED. The "Join Here" link is supposed to take the classmate to the Classmate Profiles page, where they click on their name and then if they haven't joined the website yet, they will see a "Join Here" link to start the member wizard for their name/profile.

To access the link, you would need to LOG OUT of the website first.

When I was logged out of your website, I click on your home page, I see the JOIN HERE link, I click on it, and I can then see the list of classmates. If I am "Mary Jo Smith", I click on my name and see my yearbook photo. I then see this at the top of the page, "If you are Mary Jo, please join here and update your profile!" (the words "join here" are a link to start the member wizard process).

What needs fixing?

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 2:57 PM - Response #2

PS: If you password protect the "Classmate Profiles" page, then the JOIN HERE link will take classmates to the "Missing Classmates" page and those classmates will also see the "JOIN HERE" when they click on their name. All of your non-joined classmates will not appear on the "Missing Classmates" page unless you change your Missing Classmate Criteria to be "not joined" instead of "Consider Missing Classmates to be all Classmates with no email address entered in the system.". Criteria can be modified when you Edit Site Pages, EDIT PAGE for the Missing Classmates page.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM - Response #3

Kyle,

Thanks for the speedy reply. Now that you have reminded me how it works, nothing "needs" fixing. We are resuming efforts (after about a year) to get the rest of our classmates to join. So, I had known this, and had forgotten.

But, the prospective member has to know to look for his/her name on the list of profiles, click on it, then follow the instructions.

It would be good if, upon clicking the link, the visitor was given instructions on what to do.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 4:15 PM - Response #4

Richard,

You mean like the text that is already there? It says to click on "your name". All they have to do is read what is there.

Not a member?
JOIN HERE
Find and click on your name.

If you think they need more instructions, you could direct your classmates to your "How to Join Our website" link, which says "To join our site, go to the Home Page and click on the words "JOIN HERE" in the upper right corner of the page. This link will take you to the Classmate Profiles page. Scroll down to find you name. Click on it. Then follow the instructions to join."

I don't think any more instructions are necessary. It is in multiple places.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM - Response #5

Checking again, I think you are right. I had become blind to the instruction just under "Join Here" which, as you point out, says "Find your name and click on it."

Also, I added a couple of sentences to our page "How to join our website".

So, I agree, no further instructions are needed.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.