ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Blown Out Home Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/04/13 12:32 AM Views: 1160 Replies: 10
Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM

It's me again!!! When I copy and paste things that blow out my page, I do not know how to find the culprit that is causing the problem.
You are always great about doing it for me, so I am asking for you to fix it for me and maybe give me a lesson on how to spot the problem. I know nothing can be wider than 390, and when I put my own things on the Home Page I have no trouble, but when I copy and paste something I have borrowed from another subscriber, I am at a loss.
Thanks,
Esther

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM - Response #1

You have a very long homepage. Help me out a little. If this page was not "blown out" prior to you last update, what did add. I took a look at this for about 10 minutes and could not find the issue.

You might want to break up your 1 long announcement into many individual / shorter announcements. It will be much easier to troubleshoot.

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM - Response #2

Hi Esther,

In reading Scott's reply, it seems you have one long announcement vs. individual announcements. I suggest single announcements because you can:

1) Schedule one in advance with the start date option.
2) Change the look of your home page by turning one off or on or move them around with ease. (I have used several off and on over two years.)
3) Find a problem when one announcement does strange things to your home page. Wink

In our TAP Forums, I have a thread under "How do I? What is the purpose of..." called: ANNOUNCEMENTS PLANNING AHEAD. It basically says what I wrote above and it includes a screen shot of some of TAP's announcements - as seen from the admin's view.

Moving your announcements from one large announcement to individual ones will take a bit of time. I found it easier to copy/paste the source code. If you choose to do this and would like help, just send me a message.

And Esther... for now you have one different home page. Cool

Edited 08/05/13 1:12 PM
Monday, August 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM - Response #3

Gwen,
I would love some help in getting the Home Page more organized. I also need help in other areas of the website. I can call you some time or we can chat. I am nearly always available on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons after 2:00 p.m.
Just let me know.

The page became blown out when I copied the month of August information from another CC subscriber.

Esther

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM - Response #4

The mistake in home page are these 2 tags
added in the Warren Buffet section. Remove those tags (make them just a simple "p" and it is fixed.

Here's a link explaining the reason why it did that LINK

It treated the whole quote as a single line, hence it expanded to that width.

--------------------

Another idea for organizing is to create multiple pages. Not only does this make it easier to organize and edit but also is easier to browse. There are about 40 "pages" there (counted using the PgDn key). I suggest keeping it to about 10 max.Wink

Edited 08/05/13 9:47 PM
Monday, August 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM - Response #5

Esther,
I will be happy to help you. Will be in touch privately.

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM - Response #6

Checked your home page, Esther in Firefox and Chrome. It is still blown out.

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM - Response #7

Esther, If it is the August birthdays, you should be able to pull that graphic in to make it smaller. Yes?

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM - Response #8

Jack, Thanks for the suggestions for Esther. Would you like to be part of our phone call this coming weekend? I'd be happy to make it a conference call.
Wink

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM - Response #9

Thanks that fixed it. I will work on getting the site organized, just not tonight. I appreciate yours and Gwen's help.
Esther

Monday, August 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM - Response #10

It looks good, Esther! Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.