ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Grad Year on download/upload from single year site to multiyear site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/11/11 03:28 PM Views: 1274 Replies: 6
Friday, November 11, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I'm trying to retrieve data from our 1981 class year site (at ClassCreator) and batch upload it into our multiyear site. My question is: will the upload automatically recognize and assign the list of classmates to 1981? I seem to recall this worked with our 1979 cvs file, but that was a while back and I just can't be certain.

Today, our multiyear site has several graduating years populated and some classmates profiles are already registered... I don't want to have to "reset" the database or create a lot of manual editing work for myself... so PLEASE let me know if this direct batch download-to-upload will work without adding the "Graduation Year" field.

Thank you!

Terry

Friday, November 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM - Response #1

Hi Terry,

When you upload classmates the list is not checked against any other list, so there is no way the new site will "know" what class year to assign to the uploded classmates. You'll need to add a "Year" column just like the one in the template file, and populate it with the 1981 value (you can do this easily in most spreadsheet applications).

When you upload a class list, the records are just added to the existing class list. They will not replace an existing one, so if you err in the upload, you'll have to delete the uploaded classmates and do it again. However, in no case will you have to go back and change or replace the existing classmates who have already registered with the site.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM - Response #2

Hi Eric,

I believe I answered this in another thread last night. It would be under my log-in for www.classcreator.com/chat. Please check my info to be certain I did misinform Terry.

Thanks!

Gwen
Site Admin:
www.mchs1970.com
www.mchenryalumni.com
www.classcreator.com/chat

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM - Response #3

Terry,

The template for multi-sites is a bit different than the single year sites. It did not work for me by simply adding a column for the class year. There may have been a glitch... I do not know. I do suggest you try as Eric noted. If that does not work, then download the sample template and copy/paste the other years into it. Note: I did an upload per class - my own preference.

Let us know how it worked for you!

Gwen

I located the same topic in another thread at http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=DA6B804C-1422-725F-3CCF77775DE6AF13#DA6B804C-1422-725F-3CCF77775DE6AF13

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 12:56 PM - Response #4

Thank you Eric and Gwen for your help on this. It is the logical conclusion I reached as well, but for the life of me, I cannot remember having taken this action when I uploaded my 1979 class list. However, my memory isn't all that trustworthy, so... !

Gwen, thanks for your invitation to join the admin chat group. Perhaps I'll check out this feature when I have a bit more time.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM - Response #5

Terry Alers wrote:

Gwen, thanks for your invitation to join the admin chat group. Perhaps I'll check out this feature when I have a bit more time.

Terry, what is this thing you call "time"? Laughing

Saturday, November 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM - Response #6

That is such a good question, Gwen! Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.