ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Changing Home Page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/10/09 09:53 AM Views: 1349 Replies: 1
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I want to change a few things on my home page, but when I hit source code, I can't tell where one of my items ends and where the next one starts, so I am afraid to delete anything.

I want to put a skin on my playlist, but it took me forever to get it on in the first place so I really don't want to mess that up. Does anyone know where I might get a Jukebox skin?

Also, I want to move my weather to the bottom of the page.

I am a novice at this and the last time I changed the home page, I had stuff everywhere.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 12:13 PM - Response #1

Welcoem to the world of being a Web Designer. You don't have to be a Web Designer to use Class Creator, but as soon as anybody starts getting into source view and tweaking html code and third party code and things like that, you're officially a Web Designer. Smile

So having said that, I have two recommendations for you Web Designers who are working "under the hood" so to speak:

1) Google "html tutorial". There are many terrific free tutorials out there. Most can be read in an afternoon -- it's really quite easy. Knowing just a few basics can be a big help when you're working in Source view.

2) We're going to build in a system that auto saves the last 5 or so versions of your page so you can quickly restore if you make a mistake, but until that comes you should do this:

A) Go into edit mode for your page and click the Source button
B) Press Control-A to copy all code
C) Paste the code into Notepad or any other text editor of your choosing. Make sure it's a straight ASCII text editor and nothing else (the built in Windows Notepad is a great choice). Save your code as a back.
D) Now tweak your code in any way you see fit. Don't worry about making mistakes. If you do just open your Notepad file, press control-A to select all code, delete the live code that's now broken, and paste in your working backup copy. This way you can work without fear of breaking something.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.