ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

A couple usability suggestions

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 04/04/10 03:13 PM Views: 1363 Replies: 2
Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Our site has been up since Oct 09 and registration open since March 1, 2010. I wanted to pass on a few usability issues classmates have encountered:
1. Creating first-time login - Revamp "Join Here!" page
Situation: After selecting their name from the list of classmates, the user is taken to a page with the headline "Join Here!". If they are not reading carefully, instinctively they are drawn to the form field that says "[Name's] email". So they type in their email address, click "Send invite" and wonder why they don't get any further into the site. Then they receive the email saying they've been invited, they go back to the "Join Here" page, input their email address again and get frustrated that they can't get in to the site. (Yes, I realize if they were reading the directions, they should understand what to do, but people are conditioned to fill in blanks and click on buttons, so they are overlooking the "click here now" hyperlink.

Additionally, a separate usability issue someone had with the "Join Here!" page was the phrasing "if you are [name] click here now to create your profile". The person interpreted having to "create a profile" as having to give up a lot of personal info just to get logged in an registered, which he didn't want to do. After he discovered he could create a profile with just his email address, he was fine, but the phrasing of "create your profile" deterred him. He would have responded better to something like "click here to create your login" and then add a sentence on the "Join Here" page or the following page, that you can add additional info to your profile to share with your classmates but it is totally optional.

2. Position of "Home" and "Log Out" buttons: More than one of our classmates has become frustrated that they can't get back to the home page. They are looking for "Home" at the top of the left navigation (where traditionally most websites put the Home button) and they overlook it down at the bottom of the list. A similar issue, but not as problematic is the position of the Log Out button -- it's not in a place people are logically conditioned to look for it.

Other than that, I think your website is great and I've been recommending it to others every opportunity I get. Yours' blows those other class reunion websites out of the water!

Sunday, April 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM - Response #1

Great comments Linda. There's nothing better than overcoming objections before people can even have them. Good stuff.

I'll give you 2 out of 3 for now. But we'll ultimately give you the 3rd one too.

1) Done. Added some wording under the box where the email address is entered.

2) Done

3) Link sorting module is under development now. You'll be able to rename and resort all site links. So you can put the Home and Logout buttons exactly where you'd like them. This is actually a huge system overhaul and will take several weeks to complete. It's comin' though.

Thanks again for the excellent recommendations. It's people like you who take the time to stop and recommend these subtle improvements that make the system better for everyone.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM - Response #2

All great ideas. Thanks for the expert advice. We will all benefit as these are made! Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.