ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Stop the Music

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/31/10 05:30 PM Views: 1373 Replies: 5
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Help! I just started building my Photo Gallery and added Playlist. It works great. So great that it keeps playing along with my other music when I leave the Gallery. What did I do wrong?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM - Response #1

You did nothing wrong. The Playlist pops into a new window so it can continue playing while you view the gallery. You can shut down that window whenever you want just like any other window.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 7:17 PM - Response #2

Either this can't be right or I am not getting this, or maybe both. When I am in the preview mode, and click on "click here to listen" the playlist covers up the top pictures. If I close it,no music; if I minimize it I have music but I have to go back and open it after looking at the pictures and close it to stop the music. It can't be this difficult;I must have missed a step.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM - Response #3

You don't have to let it pop into a new window, although that's what I'd recommend. People usually want to have control of the music. To show you the difference I popped your Playlist code into the edit page instead. Activate your slideshow again and take a look now. There are 2 disadvantages to doing it this way:

1) If you're not running the gallery in slideshow mode the music will stop as you advance from one screen full of thumbnail images to the next. Not desirable.
2) If you leave it on the underlying page you won't be able to control the music during the show. You might prefer it this way though so if you do you can leave it this way.

Most people are familiar with windows and how to switch around, close one, etc., so the theory is that it is better to let the user control the music if desired. If you prefer the way it is now though, you might want to consider setting the width and height of your Playlist to 1 pixel. Then you won't even see the Playlist at all, you'll just hear the music. If you're wondering why it works like this, it's because the nature of the web is to connect and disconnect from pages. The only way to have the music controllable without it getting interrupted is to let it open in it's own window. This is why Playlist.com and similar services offer a "Pop Out" player button to pop the music in it's own window. If the user doesn't do that, the music is going to get cut off the minute they load any other page of the site.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 11:46 PM - Response #4

I admit I'm not a REAL techie, but I'm doing ok w/ my site. Re the Photo Gallery playlist, controlling it isn't that easy for us muggles. I know about the minimize, etc., but I've got the Photo Gallery playlist playing even after I've exited & re-entered the website! And I can't find it to turn it off. I've been to each gallery & haven't found it.
Sad
I'm the admin. If I'M having trouble, my members are surely going to be confused, w/ or w/o my instructions. I have to stop my Home Page playlist just so I don't have to listen to both of them. Isn't there an easier way for us less-knowledgeable folks to deal with this?

And, I'm sorry, but I just don't understand your explanations. How can I make this SIMPLE for my members?

Edited 10/05/10 11:47 PM
Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 12:27 AM - Response #5

The nature of the web is to connect and disconnect from pages. So if you want your music to continue playing as users travel across multiple pages, the music has to be in a new window. This is the exact same reason Playlist.com uses their "Pop Out Player" button. If you don't pop the music into a new window, then it stops playing the minute you leave the page. Using a player in a separate window does require that people know how to use Windows... I.E. if they want to stop the music, they need to click their task bar at the very bottom of their screen and click the tab down there to open the window that has the music playing, and then shot it down.

You do have one other option: Instead of placing your music in the little window that tells our system to pop it up, right in your editor you can click the Source button and paste your music there. That way it just plays along with your gallery. The one pitfall there is, of course, the minute people leave the gallery, or go to another gallery, or go from one gallery inside of a community gallery to another gallery inside of a community gallery, the music is going to stop. If that's ok with you though you can certainly put your music right on the page instead of letting it pop into a new window.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.