ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Privacy issue

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/19/12 08:34 PM Views: 1123 Replies: 4
Monday, March 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Some classmates are reluctant to have their names appear on the web site. I've been able to lock some information from the public by use of a password, but their names still appear to anyone who logs on to the site. How can I accommodate these people?
Irma

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM - Response #1

Hi Irma,

Classmates who are logged into the site will have full access to all the pages, including the profiles of their classmates. There is no way to disallow this. Casual visitors and search engines will not have access to pages for which you have activated password protection via the checkboxes in Edit Site Pages. You can give the password to visitors to allow them to see protected pages. Currently, the only page you are protecting is the Message Forum. In each classmate's Edit Profile page, the checkbox marked Profile Visibility, when checked, allows display of the classmate's profile page *only* to fellow members of the site who are logged in.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 5:16 PM - Response #2

Eric,

Isn't it that the search engines will capture names from the Classmates Profiles PAGES that are not password protected?

I see it like this:

Classmate Profiles page OPEN Classmates find our sites by a school or class search or by searching their own names. Log-in is available immediately for those currently listed on the site.

Classmate Profiles page PASSWORD PROTECTED Classmates will not find the site by searching their own name. Log-in is not immediately available, as they need to request access.

I have the first option on my sites. However, I understand if someone does not want their name to be found in an internet search. The only way for their name not to be captured by a bot is to choose the second option. It is a tough decision for those of us who have over 50% of our classmates as 'Missing.'

I do not know if it would be possible to add a profile option to the profiles, but here is my thought. Once a member registers, they have the option to 'block internet searches from capturing my name on this site.'

This is a tough topic.

Edited 03/20/12 5:18 PM
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM - Response #3

There would be no possible way for users to block search engines from finding their names on the site if the Classmate Profiles page is *not* password protected.

If that page *is* password protected, classmates could still find the site by web search and register via the Missing Classmates page, but only if the Missing Classmates page is not password protected.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM - Response #4

Eric B Bassey wrote:

There would be no possible way for users to block search engines from finding their names on the site if the Classmate Profiles page is *not* password protected.

If that page *is* password protected, classmates could still find the site by web search and register via the Missing Classmates page, but only if the Missing Classmates page is not password protected.

That might be the key, Eric.I had not thought of that. Thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.