ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Wintering in Florida - Two Addresses

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/22/08 06:49 PM Views: 1345 Replies: 9
Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 6:49 PM

Our class is at the age where some of the lucky classmates (not me) have two homes and spend the winter in Florida or Arizona and the summer here in Michigan.

Is there a way that would be able to have both addresses and phone numbers show in the profile?

Maybe be able to put in the dates you will be at the second addresses so that people can reach them during the winter, or maybe just a check box for which address that you are at at that time.

Edited 11/22/08 6:52 PM
Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM - Response #1

Sure. Just click on Profile Generator and add a second address field. Or any other questions you'd like. What your ask your Classmates on their Profiles is totally up to you.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 7:00 AM - Response #2

Another option, is to use the photo section attached to each classmate. There's nothing to stop you from creating a "picture" of pure text that includes any kind of relevant information...now in this case, you could possible include a photo of the house (or houses) and the address, just to spice things up.

Using this methodology, it's completely free-form--add whatever information you want for whomever you want.

Just thinking, on this friged morning,
Jim

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM - Response #3

Brad... I recently found another reason to want to visit this subject again.

We have grads who winter in Florida or Arizona. They would like to connect to each other. To find out who is there near them they would have to go through all the profiles.

If a second address field could be on the profile (chosen by the admin to appear) for the older classes, and both addresses would show on the Google map. Then if you winter in Naples, the map would show you those that lived there and those who are wintering there.

Maybe the second address would show in a different color? Or the addresses could be shown based on the dates shown for that address.

Brad, I'm sure that you'll have good reasons to not want to do this... but Think Old! And how it will help the older grads.

We had two grads meet in Arizona while wintering only because one happened to look at the others profile.

With over 600 grads, it's difficult to go through all the profiles.

I hope that I have explained this so you will be able to understand our 'older' grads needs.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 9:16 PM - Response #4

Heh Ken, you know me. Smile It's not that there's any good reason not to do it -- it's a perfectly valid idea. The only "problem" with the idea is the only thing I could mark this as on the Task List is Low Priority. Many more fundamental things, like Community Photo Galleries for instance, need to make the live system before we can possibly get down to niceties like this. Absolutely good idea, I can certainly see the need for "older" Classmates to enter two addresses for where they're at during different times of the year, and I can certainly see why a matching option would be nice in these situations. Realistically with 470 pending tasks we're working through, this type of thing will come somewhere near the end. Happy to create such an option when the time is right, but we're looking a very long time down the road. Just the realities. Smile

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM - Response #5

Great... as long as you see it as a good idea and you did not say NO! Very Happy

Put it on the list... someday you'll get to it... just like someday all the younger classes will have a need for it.

With winter over, it's not needed until next winter, maybe by that time this will get higher on the list.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM - Response #6

I am new and building a list of people with two addresses and/or two emails and/or two phones. What are the pros and cons of just duplicating the classmate name with a 2 after it for the additional info.

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 12:25 AM - Response #7

I wouldn't do that. Each person would have to maintain two totally different accounts. For much now you're better off either password protecting your entire Classmate Profiles page, or ensuring all of your individual Classmates restrict their own Profiles, and then using your Profile Generator to simply create a summer and winter address field.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM - Response #8

But what if you have 3 houses or more? Cell phone numbers get you down to one phone number. Facebook lets you see who lives where and then you can contact them and let them know you winter nearby. Or, if you want to contact a classmate, get in touch with them and then you may find out you have an additional house nearby. Surely you don't want ALL of your information on this website? Think of your classmates who are on here to sell you something. They will call you first if they see you have multiple homes.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM - Response #9

Then I wouldn't add that information with Profile Generator. There is no one thing that's right for every class. In your case it sounds like public "wintering information" is not a good idea. But you can see there's other Admins here who want to offer this. This is actually the precise reason we created Profile Generator. YOU get to decide what information you ask of your Classmates. You can even reword or even deactivate our default questions. This way you can do precisely what you want on your site, ask for and show only the information you want, and others can do the same thing in a way that suits their own needs. After launching Class Creator it took us about 2 seconds to realize Profile Generator was an absolute necessity. That's why we built it. As a result, Classes have radically different Profiles tailored to their own needs and desires.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.