ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Text Boxes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/28/13 06:31 PM Views: 1536 Replies: 11
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I'm trying to create a text box and have concluded from prior posts that I can accomplish this by creating a single cell table. But is there any way to change the border color from the default black? I don't see any options for this. I've also tried the background color button but it doesn't appear to work.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM - Response #1

Border color will work for some browsers but not all. In addition, I believe you will need to go into the Source view and manually add the attribute : bordercolor="colorHere" inline with the other attributes in the table code.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM - Response #2

Frank,
Scott is correct. What I do is go into Edit whatever page. Then within that edit screen, I go to the area before the box I have made. I make a bunch of 88888888s across one line so that when I go into "Source" mode, I will be able to find it easily.
Now go into Source, scroll down to find your 88888888s. Your text box is after that. Find the border size and color. Something like this...."border: 10px solid rgb (128, 0, 255); background-color: rgb (0, 0, 0);

Play around with it. It's fun what you can come up with!
Hope this helps, and does not confuse you.

Edited 08/29/13 3:42 PM
Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM - Response #3

Melodie's code is better than mine. Smile

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM - Response #4

Except how did that div get into the forum code? Her in-the-clear example is not nearly the same type of code. Pretty weirdConfused

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM - Response #5

To Frank Vermeulen: Surely you can give Frank a better explanation. I am not very code savvy.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM - Response #6

I'm just surprised that the code example affected your response.

It's probably not easy for readers to see what produced the border shown. To show code samples use the code tag like this

I'm testing to see if this will happen again. Edit .. and it did. This is not the same as the original question about cell tables (html) vs CSS though.

Edited 08/29/13 9:36 PM
Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM - Response #7

Here's the reference for CSS

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_border-style.asp

And here's the reference for table/cell borders

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/tables/index_famsupp_149.html

Edited 08/29/13 9:44 PM
Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM - Response #8

Appreciate everyone's input. I found some helpful websites and managed to figure a few things out. Of course, I probably could have saved time by asking my 12 year old granddaughter Smile

Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM - Response #9

I think I know the answer, but here goes. I would like to place a message relating to the President's assassination. Our class graduated in 1964, so this is our 50th anniversary as well. I would like the text centered AND justified. If at all possible, I think it needs to be done in a single text box, or the center box in a 3-cell. In either situation the borders would be invisible. Here are my questions:

1. Can cell borders have no color?
2. If the answer is yes, would I need to edit the html?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, what are the values?
4. Can I set the paragraph inside a cell to have justified margins?
5. Is there another/better way of doing what I want to do?

Thanks for your attention.

Barry Levinsky

Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM - Response #10

1. Just make the border size = 0

2. no but if you forget to set the size, you can manually modify with the editor.

3. same as 2

4. yes

5. Not sure what you want to do. Since you have centered text on the home page, looks like you know how to do this. Is this message different than what you have done on the home page? (No table is required to do what you described so far.)

Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM - Response #11

Thank you, thank you, thank you. For a variety of reasons, I have to delegate the keying in of my ideas. I didn't know you had responded when I asked the delagee to type in the text. I was rethinking where to the paragraph. I liked the way it looked without doing more. I was looking at the page through the default browser on a Samsung Note 10.1. The text was aligned at the left margin and the lines wrapped at the right places, so I left it the way it was. I don't think what we wound up doing would have laid out to my satisfaction other than on the homepage, so I will be very surprised if I don't use your response at some point in time.

Barry Levinsky

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.