ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Vertical scrollbar color

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/08/21 04:52 PM Views: 276 Replies: 3
Monday, March 8, 2021 at 4:52 PM

In Admin Fuctions, Change Design, there's a section under Site Colors called Scrollbar Colors. We can set any of five choices for the vertical scrollbar color on the right side of our pages. If you choose the first option, "Use default scrollbar, do not color," you get a gray scrollbar in a white scrollbox, no matter what browser or operating system you use. This is the internet standard --- a gray scrollbar in a white scrollbox, like you see on this page.

The other options result in different color scrollbars and scrollboxes, depending on the browser, operating system, and type of computer you use. This problem is especially prevalent when accessing sites using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge on a PC. In the worst case, you end up with the same color scrollbar as the scrollbar box, making the scrollbar all but invisible. I saw a site the other day with a black scrollbar in a black scrollbar box. I had to put my cursor in the scrollbox and pray I was on the scrollbar. Horrible!

May I suggest Class Creator eliminate scrollbar color options. Just let the scrollbar be the internet standard, gray in a white scrollbox.

In short, why even allow the option of anything other than a gray scrollbar in a white scrollbox?

Edited 03/08/21 6:44 PM
Monday, March 8, 2021 at 7:00 PM - Response #1

I might have missed it, but I don't think Responsive has that as a choice. But I think the main reason is that classic is sort of obsolete Cool

Although Responsive had some hiccups in the start, I really recommend that everyone switch to it. It becomes obvious on a phone that Responsive is much better.

It also removes the left hand menu clutter for admins and concentrates all the admin choices to make maintenance much faster vs classic design. I can't emphasize how much faster and easier it is to find admin choices.

The only issue is that Responsive is a bit more difficult to configure and understand. But it's easy to tinker and see what changes do.

Maybe this needs a refresher post to get people more comfortable. There are some design considerations (never clearly explained by CC) that should be made. Mainly to NOT put absolute dimensions on images, tables, etc, but instead use percent (%) values. Once you do one, it's a fairly easy edit.

I experimented with a "free" site and did all my work there. Then copied it all back to the live site. That avoids a lot of fear. So take advantage of the "free" site to get all the kinks out of how it looks.

Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 5:01 PM - Response #2

Hi Jack,

Are there specific things you ran into that would make a good checklist from an administrators standpoint during the switch. I know you mentioned absolute links and percentages on tables. I do think it is a good idea to do a refresher on this. I appreciate any insights you have from an admins perspective as I get the request for this going internally.

Thanks,

Jessica

Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 6:55 PM - Response #3

Maybe a topic devoted to difference that people may notice and not know how to resolve.

The other thing that can affect a site is if a lot of text is used - as I recall, that came up a lot in the beginning. The full width choice can make a site not as easy to read. showing how to pick the narrower Responsive option can reduce that first impression a bit.

My hardest learning step was getting text and images lined up when I got rid of tables Smile

Tables are still used frequently to align elements so that's probably the #1 issue.

Maybe a demo site showing how having absolute sizes (for tables and images) looks and then compare to the same site with those elements changed to percentages.

A special topic like that can also have others comment on how they modified their content or what is more difficult.

Not meant to be an html class but some simple style things strictly geared towards CC are fairly easy for a show and tell.

The one part of CC that is invaluable is the easy ability to make test pages for experimenting.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.