ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

additional obituary question

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/03/08 04:21 PM Views: 1304 Replies: 5
Friday, October 3, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I was doing a search for people who are deceased and I can't find anything on them in the obituaries. So I decided to do a search on them. I put in their first and last name, the city and the word death. I was surprised to see our site come up and then something about the classmates death that wasn't very becoming. I looked everywhere on the site and I can't find where this would be and why it is associated with it. Help!!Question

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM - Response #1

This is one site that works for obits http://www.legacy.com/Obituaries.asp?Page=ObitFinder

You also get some info here.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/obituaries/

Best of luck

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 8:13 PM - Response #2

I used the epodunk.com suggested by someone earlier and have found quite a bit on dates, which was all I really needed. We had 5 die in Vietnam before our 10 year reunion. On that site you can look up military records and I found the dates on all of them there. To get a full obit on that site you have to pay. I didn't need that much info.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 9:21 PM - Response #3

Ann Clayton's wife wrote:

I was doing a search for people who are deceased and I can't find anything on them in the obituaries. So I decided to do a search on them. I put in their first and last name, the city and the word death. I was surprised to see our site come up and then something about the classmates death that wasn't very becoming. I looked everywhere on the site and I can't find where this would be and why it is associated with it. Help!!Question

Tell me exactly what you're searching for. Maybe it was something listed directly after your site. You are solely responsbible for what gets posted In Memory, and obviously you wouldn't post something not very becoming. Thus I can only imagine you are seeing information somewhere not pertaining to your own site.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 10:00 PM - Response #4

I sent you an email with the exact name of the deceased. But for others sake I will put John Smith. I put in Google: John Smith Wadsworth death. And it came up as one of the options, our website and then the discription of his death. It's not anything that I have seen in writing anywhere I have looked.

Saturday, October 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM - Response #5

Ok, here's the deal:

That entry was cached by Google on September 18th. So it's about two weeks old now. I guarantee you before this entry got indexed that one of your Classmates did in fact post the comment Google indexed under this Classmate's In Memory entry. Then one of two things happened:

1) An Administrator later deleted this comment

2) The Classmate who posted it later deleted this comment

Now, I'm guessing on September 18th your In Memory page was not password protected. Now I see that it is.

Bottom line, most likely next time Google spiders you're site they will drop this entire listing. First and foremost the text was removed anyway, so they're not going to keep that -- but now Google can't get into the entire page, which will make their system ultimately drop all of the In Memory listings.

Edited 10/04/08 1:56 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.