ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Sharing Classmate's Addresses and Email address with a third party

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/14/22 12:12 AM Views: 527 Replies: 5
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 12:12 AM

This Fall our class will be celebrating our 50th class reunion. We have been using Class Creator since 2008 as we were getting ready for our 40th class reunion in 2012. Now being our second go-around in putting together our class reunion our reunion committee is considering using Reunion DB in helping us in collecting monies for ticket sales, creating a memory book of our event and help locate missing classmates. Reunion DB is requesting that we give them personal information such as home addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses on current members and missing classmates for their database. My concern is sharing private information with a third party. Through the years as a root administrator for my class, I have been very concerned about keeping my member's information secured and safe. Has anyone used ReunionDB for their reunions? Looking for opinions or advice in handing over classmates information? I am concerned in doing the right and legal options. Simply...is it okay to hand over information without classmates' permission? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Edited 06/14/22 12:22 AM
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 1:40 AM - Response #1

It's absolutely not okay to share personal info without a classmate's permission. Under Admin Functions, Edit Contact Info, look at the last sentence on the page for your own contact info. This appears on everyone's page: "Note that we will never use personal information for anything other than contacting you regarding issues directly related to the East Longmeadow High School Class of 1970 web site." In my opinion, you are on very thin ice if you share contact info with a third party.

Edited 06/14/22 1:41 AM
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:40 AM - Response #2

Thank you, Scott! Yes! I am one hundred percent agree with you! I have pointed this out to my committee members over and over that it's not okay to share any information without their approval. I also pointed out ... Reunion DB should have the same policy as Class Creator has... When a classmate purchases their ticket(s) through Reunion DB... then and only then... ask the individual for this information, allow the member to decide if they are willing to share their personal information. This issue should not be left up to us, the administrators of our class's website. It is not our place as Administrators to give away that we have promised to protect. Thanks, again Scott for your important input.

Best Regards,
Dennis "Mac" McDaniel

Edited 06/14/22 11:03 PM
Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 12:44 AM - Response #3

Hi Dennis,
The subject of your post had me silently shouting NO!

You may recall that when you started your site, street addresses and telephone numbers entered by our members were shown on each member's profile page. I recall Brad Switzer's post announcing that Class Creator would no longer show that information; it would only be visible to administrators. Brad's post was dated April 18, 2013, and can be found at the link shared by Scott Moore in the next response. (Thanks for the heads up, Scott!)
Wait, let's try it again... Brad's post is found here.
Cool

I believe we cannot be too careful when it comes to the privacy of our members and hope you are successful in protecting the privacy of your members.

Edited 06/15/22 1:20 AM
Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 12:51 AM - Response #4

Gwen, I agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately, your link doesn't work. Here's the link to Brad's 2013 post about the sharing of classmates' addresses and phone numbers: Your text to link here...

Edited 06/15/22 12:58 AM
Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 1:45 AM - Response #5

Dennis, I am always interested in why a class chooses not to use the tools available on their Class Creator website. As I am neglecting my post-reunion wrap-up by visiting CC's Forums, I will not ask... for now. Wink

A few years ago, I helped another class from my school find missing members of their class. I found a total of 30 on Facebook. So I took a minute to visit your Missing Classmates list and immediately found one of your classmates on Facebook.

I sent you a private email here in the Forums. If you are not familiar with that, click on INBOX in the middle of the menu across the top of the page.

Gwen

Edited 06/15/22 1:51 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.