ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

A home page with many fun features

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/30/10 12:47 PM Views: 1997 Replies: 11
Monday, August 30, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Hello, Everyone --

Our 40th Reunion is in 39 days. I credit a large part of the anticipated success to ClassCreator, and to many of the wonderful people who have posted here. Thank you !

The home page of my site is much too busy in many ways, but is a lot of fun, and classmates are enjoying it. There are many features there that may be of interest to some of you (many of which were gleaned from other posters on this forum). Included are:

-- Some animated GIFs
-- A banner at the top, that overwrites the generic top of page
-- The CC trick of using no-question surveys in order to have more custom pages
-- A day-countdown, done with javascript (I've posted this one before; do a search on the forums here for it)
-- A scrolling marquee -- press the refresh button on your browser to start it again
-- A fake event ticket
-- A fake Steven Colbert "You're on Notice" image
-- A fake license plate
-- Absolute positioning to put text and objects outside the right-side border (See also the "Contact Us" at the top left, under the Panther logo)
-- A smaller US Map image that links to the interactive map of our classmates
-- The "sign up now" yellow post-it that links to the "I'm New - Now What?" page
-- On the "I'm New - Now What?" page, there's list of FAQs about ClassCreator, privacy, and other questions -- I got this from another site here, and modified it for our class
-- A playlist of 1965-1970 songs

Have fun there !

Cheers,
-- Fred

Edited 08/30/10 2:35 PM
Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM - Response #1

Nice page..alot, but full of information and very colorful. Where's you find the license plate, the ticket and how did you put the music link on the 'returning users' box??? Bonita

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM - Response #2

Very nice job, Fred. Thanks for sharing your 'outside-the-box' ideas and techniques!!

You've taken things well above and beyond -- wishing you the very best for your 40th Reunion in October!

John

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM - Response #3

Nice Homepage..a little busy for my taste..too much going on..My classmates would go crazy..I have people crabbing about the music.
I don't know what browser you are using. I use Firefox. The fake ticket is over the classmate profile update box and part of the page where you have all those reminders on the right side of the page..many pictures in there are overlapping the content page.
Just a FYI!!
The page does look great. I do like the little gifs you have..I am always looking for them.
Thanx for the lookie loo.Wink

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM - Response #4

Great page! We are having our 40th reunion on the same weekend! (and working hard to get people to register and get a head count, kind of like pulling teeth....you can check our site for my version of the beg-a-thon) Where did you get the Colbert graphic, would like to use that one.

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM - Response #5

Bonita Lyon wrote:

Where's you find the license plate, the ticket and how did you put the music link on the 'returning users' box??? Bonita

Music link -- helps if you know your way around basic HTML.
The code below refers to an anchor on your page of #playlist, which you can put where your playlist.
This is inserted in the source code:

License Plate: Probably http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/
I may have done some photoediting to get rid of any extra stuff on the plate.

Concert Ticket:
http://www.says-it.com/concertticket/
And then photoedited the output -- more contrast, cut off a section, etc.

http://www.says-it.com/ has lot of fun fake stuff.

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:38 PM - Response #6

Jeff Lorber!!! I like his music. Also like your class logo

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM - Response #7

Thanks for the invitation to visit. Enjoyed In the News and Fun Quotes especially from Golda Meir. I love humor that enlightens. Home page is packed but everything fits. Great job!

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 2:32 PM - Response #8

Great job Fred!
I see a few things I'd like to use as well.
Keep up the good work!

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM - Response #9

Another CC trick utilized on my page is the use of no-question surveys in order to have more custom pages. But with the new sweeping upgrades on the horizon, this will not be necessary.

Colbert graphic: http://www.shipbrook.com/onnotice/
You can find all kinds of things by googling the word "generator" with colbert, license plate, ticket, etc.

Darlene -- thanks for the comments. I use Firefox, and also check the site with Safari and IE 8. I am aware that the ticket overwrites a portion of the page -- when a person signs in with a password, the Profile Updates column shifts up and it's not the same problem as what you are seeing. The ticket covers the birthday cake and the "more profile updates" box, not much more for me. On my screen, the images of people on the right don't overlap the content -- but let me know specifics, I am interested in getting it right.

Rick -- your name is "Rick Nelson" and you like the music of Jeff Lorber ? Jeff and I were high school friends, and we've stayed in touch over the 40 years since. Coincidentally, he just wrote to me a minute or two ago. He was inducted into our high school's Hall of Fame last year. Other famous (in some circles) Cheltonians include Michael and Randy Brecker, Reggie Jackson, and Yoni and Benjamin Netanyahu (I was friends with younger brother Iddo, who was in my class), Wally Triplett (a color-barrier pioneer in college and NFL football -- his story is on the "In the News" section of the website, link at the upper left side).

Golda Meir is responsible for some great quotes. Listed there are: "Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil !" and "As President Nixon says, presidents can do almost anything, and President Nixon has done many things that nobody would have thought of doing."

Thanks, Everyone !

Edited 08/30/10 2:39 PM
Monday, August 30, 2010 at 10:31 PM - Response #10

Wow~!! What a great site~!! We just came in a few weeks ago and are trying our best with Class Creator. A wonderful tool~!! Our 50th reunion is Oct. 10. Not a lot of time left to find classmates~! Hope you have a great time at yours~!

Good luck,
Mickie
Bayside High School
Class of 1960

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 9:04 PM - Response #11

Wow, Fred! I was here late into the wee hours. As I began to nod off, I was able to add "On Notice" to my site. I left the tab open to this page to return today. I'm heading back to your site to take a second look.

Thanks for sharing!

Gwen

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.