ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Wallpapering Site Pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/11/13 01:34 AM Views: 1794 Replies: 59
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I'd like to add a holiday background (wallpaper) to a site page. Can I do this and if so how?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM - Response #1

You mean other than the home page? That can be done, just making sure that's what you meanWink

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM - Response #2

Yes Jack. I am not referring to the home page. Can you tell me how you go about it?

Thanks...Vinnie

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM - Response #3

Go TO "CHANGE DESIGN" then under "SITE COLORS" you will find "BACKGROUND IMAGE". Upload the image and it will be the background on all pages. I have found that a JPEG image 500 pixels wide works best when the main site area is left justified. See my site.

Edited 12/11/13 8:12 PM
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM - Response #4

You can vary the background to any custom image by inserting the following code in editor source mode on a page. That overrides the normal CC background you've loaded.

Make the url image anything you want. The image there I stole from your home page.

There are other parameters to not repeat, expand and so forth. Some of the others do not work with IE8. I'll be very happy when that dies.Idea

Add this if you have a single large image.

Edited 12/11/13 8:31 PM
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM - Response #5

My understanding is the Change Design/Background Image function apllies to the homepage only. I don't want to change it. Looking to create a single site page with a unique backgound.

Am I off base here?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM - Response #6

Vinnie,

The CHANGE DESIGN > Background Image changes the background behind your site... not just the home page.
I believe we can say the majority of admins use that.
Give it a try. Then let us know when you have a background to your liking. I'd like to see it. Smile

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:48 PM - Response #7

Note to those who visit this page, you are not seeing things. Jack shared coding with Vinnie that gave this thread a background.

One question, Jack... when you saved that post did you say, "Ho, Ho, Ho"? Wink

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM - Response #8

So that's another bug in the forum. It's in CODE tags which is not supposed to interpretTwisted Evil

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM - Response #9

Vinnie, I showed how to vary that for any page, but CC disabled my post because the post interpreted the code (when it's not supposed to). I'll show you again and give a link to the page doing same.

You should see post #4 missing although I can see everything even not logged inQuestionQuestion. Must be an IP check thing.

Edited 12/12/13 12:03 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM - Response #10

Here's the data again but in a form that you need to modify. Change all the [ to < and the ] to >

You can vary the background to any custom image by inserting the following code in editor source mode on a page. That overrides the normal CC background you've loaded.

Make the url image anything you want. The image there I stole from your home page.

There are other parameters to not repeat, expand and so forth. Some of the others do not work with IE8. I'll be very happy when that dies.Idea

Edited 12/12/13 12:09 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM - Response #11

Here's a LINK showing what it looks like. Also has some snow code I'm going to post in the snow topic.

Notice that the background is completely different from the home page.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM - Response #12

Gwen,

I want to create a holiday site page with a special background and overlay text (foreground) to it without "erasing" the background. Not interested in changing bckground behind the home page.

Sorry for not being clearer in previous email.

Thanks...Vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM - Response #13

Jack,

Got it to work. Thanks.

Now, when I attempted to add the specific background I want I couldn't get it to work. Here's the url: http://backgrounds.funmunch.com/christmas-background-361.html.

The site also includes a background image code as follows:

Does any of this help?

Finally, I noticed that I can't add text without over writing the background example you sent. Is there a way to change the background and add text (foreground) without altering the background?

Many thanks...Vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM - Response #14

Sorry Jack,

The Background Image code actually produced the wallpaper and I don't know where the underline came from.

vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:47 AM - Response #15

Not sure if you got it to work or not. That code you posted is meant for a table, not a full page. That's what your post is showing.

Did you create the page? If you still have a problem can you tell me where it is and unlock for a bit so I can see where we are?

And last but not least, is post #4 showing for you? I can see it from 2 different ISPs but Gwen made it sound as it it wasn't thereQuestionQuestion

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM - Response #16

I used the image that you showed above and it works ok.

This is the LINK to the image that you use to replace the image in the code above. Copy the URL shown.

Edited 12/12/13 1:00 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM - Response #17

Jack,

Yes I can still view Response #4.

I page is named Test. Will unlock it now...

Vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM - Response #18

It needs to be active for me to see. Just post the link here. Use the link icon, the chain looking thing in the msg editor, next to camera on the left.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:08 AM - Response #19

Jack,

Is this what you arelooking for?

http://backgrounds.funmunch.com/background/christmas-background-016.gif

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:09 AM - Response #20

Ah, I finally understood what you meant. You are talking about the editor. Just ignore that and create the content as you would normally.

If you make that into a file and include it vs coding in the editor, it might fix that little annoyance. Let me test.

Edit: Sorry editor still interprets, but don't worry about that. Page will show just like all the other pages.

Edited 12/12/13 1:16 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM - Response #21

Yes, that image works for me. Look at my test page again. Also added some junk so you can see that the background you see in the editor is not really there.

You can also make a special background for just a table vs the whole page. If you look carefully you'll see that my page content is not white, it's a repeated graphic.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM - Response #22

Test page??? Is that the code in response #10? For now I'm looking for a full page.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:24 AM - Response #23

This clickable LINK has that background and also shows you can add text, etc.

The editor just makes it look as if it's destroying the background.

Edited 12/12/13 1:28 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM - Response #24

Jack,

Any chance you can set up the code for the background I sent you (response #13) and send to me? I'm not having any luck at all.

Many thanks for your assistance & patience!

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM - Response #25

Vinnie and Jack,
I just uploaded Vinnie's background using the site's background upload on the CHANGE DESIGN page. It looks good to me. Check it out at TAP - The Administrator's Place

Edited 12/12/13 1:34 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM - Response #26

Gwen...received the following...

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM - Response #27

I saw that as well, Vinnie. Try it again. It is the same... but works.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM - Response #28

I guess I'm not being clear. I have the image as a background on THIS PAGE (click THIS PAGE to see).

It also shows that ONLY that page has that background compared to all my other pages.

It's literally the code I posted except the url is that shown in post#16 and also posts #13 and #19

I can't see your page Vinnie since it's not active. You can make it active for a bit for me to see what the code is that is causing the issue or ??

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM - Response #29

Gwen,

Yes I did see it.

Am I correct, that's the background behind the home page whereas I'm looking to create site content pages with different backgrounds than CC's default.

Don't think the Change Design feature is an option...am I wrong?

Thanks...vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:48 AM - Response #30

I get it, Jack.

Vinnie, are you wanting the background to be the same no matter what page your classmates view? If so, use the background image upload on the Change Design page.

If you want the background to show ONLY when your classmates are on the home page (or other page) and not when on the rest, then use Jack's way of doing it.

I get that now, Jack. The season is so short, I am good with one background for the site. Thanks for sharing!

Edited 12/12/13 1:49 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM - Response #31

You are right, Vinnie. You would need to use Jack's suggestion.

Jack, If time allows next year, I may be asking "How do we do that?"

Vincent Gorman wrote:

Gwen,

Yes I did see it.

Am I correct, that's the background behind the home page whereas I'm looking to create site content pages with different backgrounds than CC's default.

Don't think the Change Design feature is an option...am I wrong?

Thanks...vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:54 AM - Response #32

The way I read your requests Vinnie, is that you want a different background from the home page (and all the other pages). So that eliminates the Change Design option.

What I showed is the easiest way to do this. Page I showed did exactly that but it almost sounds as if you wanted something different or you can't get it to work or?

A single typo will cause failure here.Wink

This is also a handy way to switch backgrounds via "announcements".

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM - Response #33

Gwen & Jack,

Gwen - looking for background only on selected pages

Jack - I'll activate the test page so you can look at it.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM - Response #34

Your test page is working. If you want the other image just change the http of the existing with this one

Be sure so put quotes around it just like the original. This would be

I'm afraid to post the whole thing since Gwen said it messed up the forum. But that should be enough.

And last but not least, ignore the editor quirk that makes it look like you are destroying the background. Just add some stuff and you'll see.

Edited 12/12/13 2:04 AM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM - Response #35

Jack,

U R the BEST! Running out of steam here in NC as it's after 2AM. Will resume tommorrow and let you know how it goes.

Again...many thanks:

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM - Response #37

Jack,

Sorry to report I'm still having a problem. Below is the [b]source entry I made and it doesn't work.

url("https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4s46_fUj8dyhVe4614i5ASzRrdbJhMX6ZlDksYMi5h-OhtoUS")

FYI -- It's a different background than last night's. Do you see anything wrong?

Vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM - Response #38

It's https which is a special security format. What you need to do is store that image in your file vault and then reference the file vault. This is no different than the links you've used on your home page for the images there now.

That's a better way to do it anyway and makes the background more reliable.

Btw, if you keep the "test" page unlocked (no PW) I can check it if there is still a more problem. I have the URL for that page now so you don't have to make it active.

Edited 12/12/13 3:51 PM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM - Response #39

Jack,

I've not used the file vault feature to store items. How do I access it?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM - Response #40
Editor-Image1.gif

File Vault is accessed via Editor. It's the 3rd icon on the second row counting from the right.

Edited 12/12/13 4:31 PM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:28 PM - Response #41
editor-Link-Image1.gif

After you click on that the next dialog is displayed

edit:
Click on File Vault, a new page opens. Go to the bottom left Browse, then Upload. Then click Insert and copy the link in the Editor page that shows now from the page you came from. Don't save the page with that link. It was just a way to get the link.

I thought there used to be a Preview, but that no longer exists??

Edited 12/13/13 2:46 PM
Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM - Response #42

I think I have it...the Image icon right? I see the screen you last sent. Do I enter the url and go from there?

I'm heading out to the dentists. Will pick it up later tonight.

Thanks again for your assistance...Vinnie

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM - Response #43

Meant to say Link icon...not Image.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM - Response #44

Let me reduce the number of steps since you can't directly upload from the original image link. So I stored it on my site for you to access and upload to your file vault. (I created that by doing a Save to my system and then uploading.)

Click this LINK to see the image. You can then copy the URL from the browser or copy the following:

http://www.bothellhigh61.com/000/7/7/0/13077/userfiles/file/backgroundimage1.jpg

Give the browse a bit of time (20 secs maybe) to resolve the address. Then click upload.

To get the URL from your site, click the insert showing in the file vault next to the image, go back to the Editor and the link will be there. It will look a bit different but that's ok since by default it will use your site as a base.

Test page LINK modified to show this new background

If you don't like that one, just try something else.

Edited 12/12/13 5:06 PM
Friday, December 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM - Response #45

Jack,

Here's what I did:

1. Copied the url;
2. Went to the Editor and selected "Link" to open file vault options;
3. Pasted url where indicated and selected "Upload" (the option located on the Link page);
4. url successfully loaded to the Editor;
5. Checked File Vault entries and could not find any reference to the url;
6. End result - url loaded in the Editor but no background (just url link) shows when selecting "Preview"

Obviously I'm still missing something. Not sure what you mean by the "insert" reference in your instructions. In that the image isn't listed in the File Vault list I wasn't able to do it anyway.

Question - where is the "Upload" function you reference located as I'm not confident I'm using the one intended?

Your thoughts?

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM - Response #46

After step2 click File Vault. See response #41

The url is pasted on the Next screen that pops up. It shows your file directory. Then upload. Tiny little buttons on the bottom of the file vault screen dialog.

After clicking File Vault, a new page opens. Go to the bottom left Browse, paste in the URL in the open dialog. After dialog closes, click Upload.

The Insert shows on the right of the file you just uploaded. Clicking Insert copies it to the page where you came from. Copy from there - don't save that page.

Edited 12/13/13 2:43 PM
Friday, December 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM - Response #47

Jack,

I copied the url (Step 1). I then selected Link in the Editor screen and clicked on File Vault (Step 2). When I attempt to paste the url in the dialog box at the bottom of the File Vault page it won't let me. Instead it asks for a file name.

Still searching...

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM - Response #48

Gwen,

Thanks for sending me the "hide the player thread." I'll check it out the next few days. Working on another project that's keeping me pretty busy now.

Very much appreciate you tracking that down for me...Vinnie

Friday, December 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM - Response #49

The "file name" is the URL. Just paste the URL in the open dialog (created by Browse button). You might have to wait a bit as explained earlier.

After the Open dialog closes, click Upload.

Edited 12/13/13 10:09 PM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM - Response #50

Got it Jack...now when I look at the preview of the page the

following appears:

/000/6/1/3/22316/userfiles/file/backgroundimage1_1_.jpg

No wallpaper effect...am I making progress or not?

Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 1:57 AM - Response #51

Yes, that's progress although there are 2 copies of the image in your file vault. Somehow it was uploaded more than 1 time. Worry about that later. It's easy to fix.

That text you show is the url to the image in YOUR file vault put there in the page when Insert button was clicked. What you need to do is go back into source mode and put the

url("/000/6/1/3/22316/userfiles/file/backgroundimage1_1_.jpg");

in the code shown in response #4. You already have all that code on the test page (at 1 time anyway), except it is a different image. Replacing the url will now make it the one you wanted.

The http://... is automatically added by the browser, that's why it looks different.

Edited 12/14/13 1:58 AM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM - Response #52

Jack...GOT IT!!!!

Question - when I click on "Preview in New Window" the wallpaper doesn't show. Is that a problem?

Also, there's a dialog box (white background) to add text. Will it, the white background, disappear in the final version.

Jack - you are a saint...patience and persistence beyond compare.

Many thanks...Vinnie

Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM - Response #53

Jack,

As I look at it further, after activating the snowflake page, what appears to be happening is the snowflake background appears behind the homepage and not on the site content page even though it shows it in the Edit mode.

Does this help?

Vinnie

Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 2:49 AM - Response #54

I think terminology got mixed up here. I thought you wanted the page background modified? In Post #13 it appeared as if that was what you were looking for.

There are 2 ways to modify the content: tables or CSS modification.

Table are more commonly used on CC because the editor does some of the work.

First you create a table and then in Source mode add a background image. Similar to what we've done now, but also different. My home page has various examples of that - the dark blue inner table. You can vary the images or colors more than once.

Need to verify how this forum handles examples. So will show in next post so I can tinker a bit.

Edited 12/14/13 3:09 AM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM - Response #55

Here's the code you need to put a background image in a table for the Content section of a CC page. I created the 1x1 table using 100% as a value for the width. No height. Height will automatically increase as required.

Replace my image url (background) with your image url. Same rules as before. http start stuff not required.

Here's my example LINK modified to show actually both a page background modification, a table modification and the generic CSS I use to modify content.

Test to see if forum displays this? (It does)

Sample Table with Image Background

Edited 12/14/13 2:22 PM
Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #56

You got it Jack...THANKS SO MUCH for your help!

Future reference - What if I wanted to simply add a color as background. How would I go about it?

Vinnie

Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM - Response #57

You got it Jack...THANKS SO MUCH for your help!

Future reference - What if I wanted to simply add a color as background. How would I go about it?

Vinnie

Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM - Response #58

To put Color in a table background, create the table in the Editor, then right click, select Cell, then Cell Properties.

Click Choose next to Background Color. This only works for the Cell. Editor does not have a table option. But that's easy to do. This is the code to do a complete table, including ALL cells.

Sample Table with Color Background

Edited 12/14/13 2:22 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM - Response #59

Thanks again Jack. You've been a great help!!!

Vinnie

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.