ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

TAP - The Administrator's Place... Join Us!

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/07/13 12:49 AM Views: 2418 Replies: 50
Monday, January 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You may have read one of many posts announcing our weekly Chat on TAP. If you have not joined us, now is the time!

Brad Switzer, Class Creator Founder, will be previewing new features via webinars in the coming weeks and months. As he does, TAP members will be the first audience!

Head on over to TAP now. Sign in. Be sure to RSVP. Look around. Come back for a chat soon!

Monday, January 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM - Response #1

For anyone not familiar with TAP, a group of our own users started a membership site using our own system to talk about our own system. Now how cool is that? They hold weekly live chats and discuss all kinds of other cool stuff. Anyone can head over there and join.

So here's the deal: We have significant new features ready for launch. Rather than just dropping such a big change like this on everybody I'd like to prepare everyone as best I can, thus Yours Truly has agreed to preview the new features for the TAP group on a live Webinar. Sign up now if you'd like to get in I don't think spots will last long. You'll be able to ask your questions live as we go. If you don't make it this time we'll have another all-system Webinar prior to launch. Watch your email.

Here's what will be previewed to TAP members:

* New link management system
* Unlimited pages and custom naming
* 2nd and 3rd tier links w/ flyout and dropdown menus
* Page centering
* 3 new professional designs
* 3 new advanced customizable designs for anyone really wishing to take their site to the next level

Although not slated for this upcoming release, I'll also give a brief glimpse (and I do mean brief) of our new Reunion Planner, new Social Profiles, and new Facebook sharing options for those who want them (all optional).

I'd like to thank Gwen for rallying everyone and giving us such tremendous support. Many of the features in this release have been very long awaited and I'm glad they're finally here. I look forward to sharing them with all of you shortly.

Edited 01/07/13 3:11 AM
Monday, January 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM - Response #2

Thank you Gwen and Brad!

Monday, January 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM - Response #3

What a terrific opportunity. Thank you Gwen & Brad for your consideration to include usVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Monday, January 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM - Response #4

ANNOUNCEMENT!

The date of the webinar for TAP members is set. Find it on TAP now!

Edited 01/07/13 9:07 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM - Response #5

LIVE CHAT - TONIGHT!

WEDNESDAY, January 9, 2013

at 8:30 pm EST

STARTERS: Basic site questions

MAIN TOPIC: How might you organize your sites now while you await the new releases?

Before we turn out the lights: What's on your mind?

See you then! Smile

Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM - Response #6

LIVE CHAT

WEDNESDAY, January 16, 2013

after the Webinar

Gather for a bit before calling it a night.

See you then!Smile

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:31 PM - Response #7

Is a microphone required for the webinar? A camera?

Thnx.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM - Response #8

Only Brad will need a camera.

The phone number you call would record your voice if you have a question.

There might be sound coming from the recording (your computer speakers), too, so you might just need to phone in if you want to hear it over the phone and/or ask questions.

I am not sure if phoning in is optional or not. We will have to wait and see later tonight. Phoning in might be the only audio, but if that was the case, the recording of the webinar would be without sound (not very useful)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Response #9

Got kicked out of the meeting and was locked out from rejoining. Won't be using that again.

Edited 01/16/13 9:07 PM
Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM - Response #10

Gwen - As I mentioned in Webinar, I recorded the audio portion - attached in MP3 format about 10 MB. Please distribute as needed - Dick - OK I can't attach more than 2 MB. I will send directly via email. Also I have used both joinme.com a little bit, but they are owned by logmein.com which i have used the free version for years as remote login to my parents computer for support. The joinme.com is to be competing with webex but no recording. We HAVE used webex - the standard bearer - but it's expensive....have also used gotomeeting.com

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM - Response #11

I missed last nights Webinar. Is there any way to down load and watch it.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM - Response #12

I tried dialing in - right @ 8pm EST. Got a message that the organizer had closed the attendance. Hated to miss it - as I have 3 very active sites (and a 40th reunion being held in April 2013 for my 1973 class) Looking forward to having a chance to watch.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM - Response #13

Brad has mentioned in a separate post that it wasn't him that limited the webinar to 200 people, but the webinar company. We won't be using that company again.

Brad said that today he would be working on a video presentation of what was talked about last night to introduce everyone to the new features. It will be better than the webinar (no "DING" every few seconds). He will post the link to where to access the file after it is done.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM - Response #14

Excellent info, Kyle. Thank you!

Dick, I received your email and message above. Smile

Friday, January 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM - Response #15

I hope all of you are excited about the new features coming on January 27th! I thought Brad was excited when he wrote about the coming features. I can't wait!

The preview of the January 27th features and the videos Brad provided have me getting ready. Is anyone else prepping their sitesQuestion

Edited 01/18/13 10:01 PM
Tuesday, January 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM - Response #16

LIVE CHAT

WEDNESDAY, January 23, 2013

8:30 pm EST

STARTERS: Might we need another chat scheduled?

TOPIC: HINTS & TIPS, such as:
The best way to move pages... copy/paste coding.

BEFORE "LIGHTS OUT": What's on your mind?

See you then!

TAP is for all admins!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM - Response #17

I posted a notice on my class sites to warn my alumni about the expected outage this Sunday. If I recall, the planned time was between 1 PM -- 6 PM, EST... right? What are we calling this release? "3.0"?

I am very excited and particularly looking forward to the new link management system with drag and drop sorting, 2nd and 3rd tier links w/ flyout and dropdown menus, as well as the advanced customizable designs. (That advanced feature may have to wait until I have more "playtime" available, though!)

Btw, I was wondering, did this release get beta-tested in a live environment?

Also, please remind me... what is the new maximum page width allowed in the new release?

I hope to join the TAP chat session this evening, if possible. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM - Response #18

Lemme hit all of those:

1) Maintenance starts Sunday, January 27th at 1:00 p.m. EST. Could be offline as long as 5 hours. It's really a system replacement of sorts (a big operation). Any users hitting the site during that time will receive a maintenance message.

2) You can call it the conclusion of the 3.0 features.

3) Yes we extensively test. However, there's 15,000 class sites here, and of course we allow you to create your own content including your own html. So while on most sites I'm not expecting significant problems (you might have some formatting/wrapping issues to deal with as all designs are now slightly wider), it's inevitable that there will be at least some. There's simply no good way to test all 15,000 sites in advance for custom code scenarios... So, we'll swiftly move to resolve any problems that are caused by Sunday's upgrade.

4) The new body width is 685 pixels. Old body width was 646 pixels. So it's not a huge increase, but it's large enough it can and will cause wrapping changes. Everything will still work and content will still wrap like before, but lines of text might break in different places as a result of this, giving your page a slightly different appearance. If you do not like how the page is wrapping as a result of the upgrade you may need to go in and do some light editing until you're happier with it. Again I'm not expecting this to be much of an issue in most cases.

In general, I'm expecting light issues and some possible page formatting necessary as a result of this upgrade. In some cases where pages have been heavily hand coded there will be larger issues. If you're experiencing anything beyond what's been described, or something you're unable to resolve on your own, post the issue here in the forums or call and we'll try to assist you as rapidly as possible.

Edited 01/23/13 11:26 AM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM - Response #19

Thank you, Brad! I understand the challenges with live beta testing in a largely variable environment. I'm not expecting any real problems personally, but it's great knowing you all at CC are standing by, ready to help as always!

When you say, "heavily hand coded" what does that include, for example? Most of my html codes are those button functions available in the editor and, besides fonts and formatting, includes links, tables, anchors -- and lots of it on some pages. Is this considered heavily hand coded? Or do you mean more advanced html?

Also, can we expect a "New Release" email, similar to those you have written up in the past? Or should I compose something from what available above to share with my other administrators?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM - Response #20

We've run many tests on real sites here, and the biggest problems are those who have gone into the actual html and added something, or people who have used the Google Analytics box on the Preferences page to inject code other than Analytics. Some people have stretched out their site design beyond what the design was intended to be, etc. These are the really rare cases though. We're probably talking 1%. Still, that's 150 sites affected by stuff like this. 99% of people should have at most some page reformatting they wish to do. And also, on something this significant, despite any amount of testing there's always going to be something that surprises us. It's inevitable. We have the entire team in on Sunday for this so we can fix things as quickly as they're identified. That's about as good as it gets.

I'm going to send a final reminder on Friday about the maintenance window. I've already sent the videos demo'ing the new features to all Admins of course, so I plan nothing more on that right now. If new features affect Classmates I often write a copy/paste email Admins can send out. In this case these particular updates are only affecting admins, so yes if there's anything you want to share with your co admins you should do so. They too should have gotten the email demo'ing the new features. When I send important emails I usually send to all site admins not just root admins (each site admin can choose whether or not to receive system emails like these under their Notify Me options).

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM - Response #21

My gripe is that when I asked a LONG TIME AGO (over a year) if this would be an 'opt in' to 3.0, the answer was YES.

Then it was also promised that widths would be variable. Since one of the choices would be something exactly the same as what I have (1024) I wasn't worried about that.

But the MAIN issue is that at no time was it ever mentioned that ALL the changes would be forced on us. This is literally a brand new surprise with 4 days notice from a email describing that my 'mods' won't work and navigation won't work and to remove them. Whatever these mods are - somehow CC knows what's wrong but can't tell meQuestion

Don't forget, it was advice from THESE FORUMS by your support people that suggested to use the Google Analytics to provide generic overrides for things like background control. Kyle was one of those.Idea

It's just not right Brad. You need to delay this or provide the OPTION originally promised. There was no discussion about any of this.Exclamation

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM - Response #22

I'm am sorry to hear about your issues, Jack. The unusual coding issues seem unique to a few and I guess I don't understand the requirements you seek from CC, so I'll leave that between you and Brad.

For the majority of us, I do wish to thank Brad and team. I have no clue how long this has been in production or how much it was discussed here in the forums, or what the specific requirements were based on, but I liked the demo of the release. I have wanted to rearrange and add links for a very. long. time. Smile

When were the videos sent out to admins? I don't recall getting that message. Are the videos available somewhere I can retrieve for myself?

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM - Response #23

We strongly recommend all Administrators watch the first 3 videos below prior to January 27th when our new features are slated to go live:

THIS RELEASE

1) New Link System: http://screencast.com/t/kVLCFaOP
2) New Designs: http://screencast.com/t/syzDOoGVxCkF
3) Using Advanced Designs: http://screencast.com/t/8cSAn1j5QQ

UPCOMING RELEASES:

4) New Reunion Planner: http://screencast.com/t/IvyCFK3c6KZF
5) Social Profiles: http://screencast.com/t/WIKS5W6Qke
6) Facebook Connection: http://screencast.com/t/OEUWRyTe

For those who would like to see what we're working on for release after this coming release please watch videos 4 through 6.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM - Response #24

It's not "unusual coding" at all. It's vanilla html. That's another gripe, it's an unfair characterization, as if some of us did something wrong, when the truth is that we were -encouraged- for a lot of this from these very forums to overcome CC limitations.

For example, one modification that was often encouraged was absolute image placement and ALL of those are going to be in trouble. (Not something I did).

Brad for one, was well aware of what I did since I thought the CC width was way too narrow and I even told him of my solution. There was a little ruckus when I complained here about the somewhat limited narrow style used.Very Happy

The point is simple: Promises were made, promises were NOT kept. If I spotted something that potentially could cause a problem, I ASKED. There were no secrets on my endRolling Eyes

It would have been possible to keep the 2 systems totally separate. CC just didn't want to support 2 systems. What they could have done was say: You can keep using your existing system or switch over. If you keep using the old, support will stop in x amount of time. That's how it's done.

The bottom line is that 4 days is simply NOT enough time for a discussion.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM - Response #25

Jack, I understand your frustration. Frankly, you have probably jury rigged your site more than anybody else on the system (that I know of anyway). It's cool you can do that and know how, but clearly stuff like that is a non standard use. Yes, we never said don't do it. But at the same time Class Creator can't stay in the dark ages using very old outdated table based layouts, forcing IE browsers into quirks mode, etc. We simply cannot continue in a yesteryear mode. We must update and be current. Incidentally, with your advanced knowledge, your site is probably the #1 most impacted on the entire system...

Now, please bear with me here. All we have asked you to do is remove the rigged code before the update. And then you can put it back in one by one. I don't think you have THAT much. Because the layouts are brand new slick CSS, your old techniques may or may not work. You may find that only one thing is the problem. We will work with you on this in every way we can.

One thing I want to point our real quick is the necessity of having the right per our Terms & Conditions to change things at any time any way we want. We absolutely have to be able to do that. Clearly we're going to make an attempt to make 100% of the people happy. But, in a case where you've heavily customized the site with your own html, that's going to be difficult. 99%+ sites on the system haven't done that and probably couldn't if they wanted to. You're at a much, much higher level than most of the admins here.

Again, we will help you in every way to get your site back to how you desire it after the upgrade. I'm sorry if somebody communicated something that proved to be false a year ago. Again though, we absolutely must move into the modern world. I'm sorry the notice seems short but we couldn't even test for third party code compliance issues until the new system was evolved enough to do so.

Please hang in there. We will NOT leave you (or anybody else for that matter) in the lurch. Out of 15,000 or so class sites here there's about 150 that have scenarios like yours. Yes I know -- if you're amongst that 150 you're not going to feel any better. Again, we are here to help and I promise you we'll do everything in our power to accommodate you after Sunday's upgrade.

Edited 01/23/13 7:24 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM - Response #26

One additional note: While technically possible to keep an entirely separate system and discontinue support for it, that would have been unbelievably unpractical. In a sense it's like discontinuing support for something old that simply cannot keep pace anymore. For instance Google and Apple dropped support for IE7. They had to. It was just too old. We have stuff old enough on here it simply doesn't meet the modern need. Inflexible, doesn't work on iPads, isn't conducive to an efficient development process in the future, etc. Sometimes you have to swing the axe and move on.

Let's work together Sunday and thereafter and get your site back up to speed. Ok? I apologize this is a burden but if you bear with me and work with us we'll have ya back up to speed. Ok?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM - Response #27

Since some of my websites have custom code that I have added to the PREFERENCES page, I plan to create a new announcement that is not active and paste my PREFERENCES source code into the announcement. Then on Sunday after the changes, I can paste back in my PREFERENCES from the announcement and see if it causes problems. If it does cause problems, I will know that it is something custom in the PREFERENCES code that is causing the problems.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM - Response #28

Let's drop defensive mode and explain better. It's interesting the 'old' system was defended the same way when I criticized it. Even got a bunch of heat from you and others - rememberRazz

I look forward to evolution, but you can't just make CC all of a sudden not work. Let's assume none of the sites would work as now set up. Just think for a second Brad before you resort to any sort of legal angle. Luckily this isn't a business site however, there is a performance requirement.

I'd much rather have had CC bring this forth in the forums MUCH SOONER and have a much clearer explanation.

Here's what is not clear in any explanation so far:

What is "rigged code"?? The only thing 'nonstandard' is the table width thing so we got a usable width. Nothing else is 'nonstandard'. I need an actual 1024 width or more accurately an actual 810 pixels for content. Without that, every single page is broken. The margin style overrides are minor. If CC changed link IDs, also minor. So are the redirects to get things reordered. All I need to know are actual details.

So far, all this is like someone posting something doesn't work on their site but they don't give actual details.

IOW I need a much more specific technical description. Except for the scripting (which should work), it's pretty basic html there. If you asked a web developer they would not call it heavily customized html. Indeed, for the most part it's vanilla html. Just because I bypass the editor, doesn't make it all that special.

Let's not shift blame, recognize the issue: CC (you and others) PROMISED that it would be an opt in system. Did CC ever post anywhere that this was going to be forced? NO. You had ample time to inform us. And if you had done so, I would have pressed for details. The change from flexible widths to a single width floored me. That promise was from also you Brad - not anyone else.

Like you admitted, it's not that hard to have 2 separate systems. It might be a PIA, but doable. Gives breathing room vs this frantic time. If the width is not 810 usable, there's no way it can be fixed in 1 day. Remember, that CK editor is still a screwy beast that sometimes likes to do it's own thing.Cool

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM - Response #29

Kyle, by PREFERENCES do you mean you put all your code into a single page? Nonstarter for me. That's waaaaay too much work. Would take me longer than fixing the pages - where the width should be the only issue. Why would scripts no longer work?

If I get some actual detailed information, I'll see. Worst case, I'll have to figure out how to override the CC pages.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM - Response #30

No, I am talking about clicking on the PREFERENCES link, scrolling down to the Google Analytics section, Select ALL, CUT. Save Changes. Go to POST ANNOUNCEMENTS, create a new announcement, call the announcement PREFERENCES_SAVED, click SOURCE, then PASTE the codes. Save the announcement, DO NOT ACTIVATE the announcement. Then after Sunday, reverse the process and after you paste back into the Google Analytics section, see if your website is broken or not.

I have told other admins that if they want the same code repeated on each page of their website, you need to paste it in the Google Analytics section.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM - Response #31

OH. I don't have a preferences link. I'm not root. That's something I asked to be enhanced (long ago) so other admins can access this. I'm the only one that does, but I have to do it via proxy to the root.

To solve this I change it indirectly via files rather than direct code there. So I can change content at will by changing the files contents.

However, not much there. Just the google script and margin+background override. Not much to break.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM - Response #32

Yes anything is technically doable. But believe me when I tell you, that would have been a major, major deal. There's a whole litany of reasons for that.

If I said something in the past, and honestly I truly just don't remember specifically what it was, about flexible widths or opting in, I would have said it at the time with the best knowledge I had available. I apologize if I miscommunicated something.

Changing the width of the default templates through your own custom html code alone amounts to a big deal. Again I completely understand why you wanted to do that. No issues there. But if we have to change something to join the modern world, we absolutely must have the ability to do so. And that means that somebody who has made a custom change to the default system may be impacted.

You may be able to change the page width in a similar way or possibly even the same way after the updates. One of the main things we were screening for is code in the Google Analytics box that is not Google Analytics. Anything there could cause a problem. I'm going to agree with you: we should have screened for non standard usage html code, especially in the Analytics box, before this so we could have given those in this boat a lengthier window of warning.

My best recommendation is:

1) Remove your custom html code Sunday just prior to 1:00 p.m. This way when we go back live Sunday evening your site will be fine.

2) Put any code back in 1 by 1 and let's see what code is the problem.

This may actually be a simple fix. It may not be. Let's look at it together and work together on it until you're back up to speed. I know you're not happy to be one of the people who found themselves in this boat. You're not floating alone though -- we will assist you until you are happy. Once that has been achieved I think you're really going to enjoy the new system. Everything happening right now is far more important than just the new features you have coming Sunday. It's actually a whole different, much better setup for all of Class Creator itself and it opens the door to all kinds of new opportunities this year. Hang in there and we'll get your site through the upgrade together.

Edited 01/23/13 9:26 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM - Response #33

This is getting somewhat humorous. I see now that the reason I'm not getting specific examples is that no one at CC has bothered to look at why our site is the way it is.

My Analytics section is harmless. Reminds me of a SF book I read where everyone used remote visuals and never went and actually looked what an animal was like in the wild. Your program (and subsequent inference) is incorrect. That's not where the changes are.

There's NOTHING in Analytics section to worry about. See post above why I did it this way. It is just google analytics, style (margin) and background scroll override. Short and sweet.

I didn't override anything to change the width. I just used the -legal- behavior of tables and didn't change ANY CC code. Does that change things?

If I remove this table behavior code, ALL of the pages will break right now - NOT good. That's for EVERY single page, (nothing to do with analytics). You need to LOOK at what I did vs what appears to be guessing. It's quite a simple change.

The only time I can look at changing anything is when the change occurs. It literally has to be 810 pixels (or more) display space available.

I'm guessing the main issue should be the very top of the page where the school name appears. Meaning I need a way to expand the top area with a larger graphic. I'd hate to use absolute positioning for a graphic. Home page right side stuff might be a problem depending on how you are going to generate those.

It's too bad you forgot about the width options. That would have made more people happy.Wink

Edited 01/23/13 10:18 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM - Response #34

With a table based layout, of course, if you put something in there that's wider than the table's specified width it just stretches out the table to accommodate. Totally different scenario here where everything is done in CSS. Essentially a larger container is being put into a smaller container and the two don't fit.

There's so many points I can make about why we can't offer designs of different widths and all the problems that would entail, switching between incompatible designs, problems porting content to the new Facebook app, iPad and other device readability issues and so forth. Please know the new sizes were selected with considerable rationale and usability for all in mind.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM - Response #35

Of course that's how tables work. You also said that it was -impossible- to make pages wider when I first posted on CCCool It's all about wanting to do something. I'd say 4 years is a LOT of time to work on something.

Now that you finally see how it's done - HOW are we going to solve our page width issues?

I/we need REAL examples of what the new basic home page will LOOK like.

For example, where are objects going to be on the home page. Same as now, different, can they be moved (I talked about that 2 years ago)?

Why not give a demo site we can visit? You should have something up and running that you test with.

So except for the home page, why wouldn't the other pages work that have no right side content?

How can the top image be stretched?

Worst, but better than nothing: Post a file with all the source of the new home page and a picture of the page displayed in a browser.

Let's have something to make progress. It still feels like a vacuum to me.

FWIW It's not like CSS makes tables not work. CSS is about 16 years old and yet CC picked tables originally for the main layout?

Edited 01/23/13 11:36 PM
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM - Response #36

I keep forgetting to ask:

Why won't navigation work on our site after the update? That's what I was told, but again, not a single hint on why that would be so.

That has nothing to do with any width changes.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM - Response #37

Correct. Table based layout was standard for many, many years. No time for history though I'm only focused on solving the problem at hand.

Although you have been doing this for a long time you're still using the system in a non conforming use. There's no blame here nobody is stating you did something wrong. I'm just stating a fact. We did not discourage you from a non conforming use. I acknowledge that.

The reality is we have a non conforming use we're now trying to get to somehow conform to the new standards. Yes I see it's largely just your content itself. I have not scrutinized every possible thing though.

Let me ask you this and this is very, very important: Assuming we can find a way to make your current design choice conform to your current non standard content width, you understand the "fix" would only be for this one design alone. I.E. should you attempt to change designs, or attempt to use the new advanced designs, your content would once again not fit correctly. If you understand that and are comfortable with that, would you choose to stay in your current design or would you choose to be in one of the others or one of the new designs? I ask you that now because if you wish to continue with a non conforming size we're only going to be able to put in a fix for one design.

Just wondering: Is narrowing your content to fit the actual size of the designs simply not an option? Doing so would make this a whole lot easier to solve obviously. Plus you would be able to use any design or any future designs created.

Edited 01/24/13 12:36 AM
Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM - Response #38

Email was sent to all sites flagged as non conforming use. They all don't conform for different reasons and possibly multiple reasons. No I or we did not scrutinize the code on every one of them it would be impossible.

In your specific case your navigation will actually be just fine. I have personally previewed your site in the new system. What you actually have is simply content of one size put into a container that doesn't accommodate it. So for instance your home page content crosses over the home page right hand modules. Doesn't behave at all like the old table based layout.

There's only 2 possible solutions here:

1) You narrow your content so it fits
2) We put in a template adjustment just for you that forces the template width into a permanent non conforming use.

Again if you want to pursue #2 we'll work with you on it. My personal recommendation is you make a content width reduction, which wouldn't be that significant it seems by looking at it. It would be hard for me to recommend you go into a permanent non conforming use as you'll limit your future options. You'll also risk further sizing problems. For instance should you choose to share pages out to Facebook, the content won't fit correctly there either. Facebook gives us a certain size to work with similar to how we provide a size to you, so our stuff has to conform to their stuff.

Whatever your choice is, I will help you the best I can.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM - Response #39

#2 template adjustment.

Narrower pages would have mild to severe editing to get it all to look correct. I'm just much fonder of wider space and images.

I'm assuming that the left side menus are ~ the same width or close to the same width. Our current total width is 1024, which works just fine on iPads. Just in case, I don't care if 810 content width happens to spill past 1024 a bit. Chopping the right side is not a big deal.

We will not do Facebook, etc. To us that's a totally different animal. After you get it all converted Sunday I can examine other CC sites and experiment on my own with a "stock" template (this would be outside of CC). I will be interested in seeing what your actual width ends up being.

The new menu control will simplify things a bit. The nested menus will be fun to play with.

Since I'm not the only one that can change things and some of the other admins are not always 'careful', what if they accidentally change the design, can I switch it back? Or is there some way to lock it if that's a problem. (Only by contacting you could we change it.)

Thanks for listening to my gripingShocked

(P.S. Did you catch all those sites with absolute positioning for right side images with your scan?)

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM - Response #40

Yes you could switch back. Although there might not be an automated way to do so. Maybe we can give you a URL to switch you back. Will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Is there a site here with right side absolutely positioning you can link me to as an example?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM - Response #41

I'll have to look. Dog grooming today - it's the Newfoundland. Later this afternoon (PST) I'll try to find them.

In my first posts here, one was given as an example of how to make things 'wider'. Just comprised absolute positioning of stuff off the right side. Then I've run across a few now and again by linking to sites that posted here.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM - Response #42

Here is one with a picture on the right side.
http://www.classcreator.com/St-George-UT-Dixie-1994/class_index.cfm

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM - Response #43

This one with lots of placement

http://www.classcreator.com/Wyncote-PA-Cheltenham-1970/

LINK

Dog is hiding

Edited 01/24/13 1:17 PM
Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 2:37 PM - Response #44

Ah, yes. Right. In situations like this one there's both bad and good news. The bad news after the upgrade these sites are going to be slightly out of whack with some contenting overlapping. The good news is anyone who has done this knows how to fix it. In this case they can simply move their content out 39 pixels further to the right and they're good -- achieving the exact same thing they're doing now. In the case of a non conforming top they'll have to either make a top slightly wider (again 39 pixels) or even switch to one of the new advanced designs where they can better achieve what they've done here. Fortunately very easy fixes.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM - Response #45

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM - Response #46

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

This one with lots of placement

http://www.classcreator.com/Wyncote-PA-Cheltenham-1970/

LINK

Dog is hiding

Hi Jack,
Don't forget that you are very welcome to join us on TAP. I realize your skills are more advanced than many, yet there must be a topic we could plan... any ideas?Idea

In reference to the site your link takes us to, the one thing I would like someday is to add an overlapping cutout of a classmate - as the site shows Obama. I can see that as a classmate spotlight of the month, which would increase traffic.

Look forward to hearing from you and possibly planning a chat on TAP. Please use the 'email' button to the left. Smile

Thursday, January 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM - Response #47

In a nutshell: EST vs PST = 3 hours difference. My wife will really wonder what I'm up toVery Happy

The image position code is pretty easy and discussed by Kyle on the Forum now and again. Use the "source view" of any browser to see how things are done.

This is the first image at that site (not counting the top overlay). If you put this in your system on a page and vary the position values to move anywhere you want

I create test pages that let me try anything without messing with any real live pages. You can't hurt anything prototyping pages this way, although it is possible to create something that you can no longer edit. You then have to enter the editor with a special keyword that I forget ATM. I hope the 'new' system doesn't change any of this. I'll find out right awayWink

I've had Kyle tell me a few times how to get back in the editorWink One of them as I recall is a redirect. Can't view that in anything except source view. So I put a warning comment there to remind me to never put it in display view.

Edited 01/24/13 11:59 PM
Friday, January 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM - Response #48

Thanks, Jack. It may be good info for others, as well. Smile

One note, I am only interested in a photo or graphic related to the class or school. If you look at my sites, you'll see I try to keep them simple.

Looking forward to discussing what topic you may be interested in bringing to TAP. Smile

Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM - Response #49

TAP is down for a bit this morning. In all the excitement about the new features, yours truly FORGOT to pay the domain subscription! Go ahead... all together... "GWEN!"

My apologies!Embarassed

Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM - Response #50

Gwen Corey wrote:

TAP is down for a bit this morning. In all the excitement about the new features, yours truly FORGOT to pay the domain subscription! Go ahead... all together... "GWEN!"

My apologies!Embarassed

Mine is set up for auto renew, so I won't have to worry about that.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.