ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Transferring data from another site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/14/08 05:16 PM Views: 1273 Replies: 3
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:16 PM

We have a website with a lot of classmate profile information already posted. Can I transfer that info to Class Creator? How? I tried with one and when the person created a login, all the profile info I had transferred was gone. I don't want to waste my time, and I don't want to force all the classmates to recreate their profiles. I'd like them to create a login and then already have their old profile info appear. Possible?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM - Response #1

In most circumstances I dont' recommend this, but in your particular case you would want to actually go the Classmate Profiles page, click on the Classmate's name, and then officially join the site on behalf of each Classmate. Create the email address and the password and the whole works, and then specifically contact each Clasmate and give them their login information so they can get into the site.

Even though you can do this (I understand you're trying to save your Classmates the rework time) in a way I still really don't recommend it. Because your Classmates will miss the opportunity to subscribe to other Classmate's Profiles in the automated 1 screen fashion that happens during the Classmate signup wizard.

If you're spending time entering all of this information, but not actually joining the site on behalf of the Classmate, you're probably wondering why this information isn't preserved when the Classmate joins the site. And an explanation for this can be found in this thread here.

Personally, even though you don't like your Classmates having to do the rework, I'd tell them to come in and re-enter their info into your new site anyway. They'll understand the system better when they do it themselves, they'll immediately subscribe to their friends' profiles, and it'll sure save you a heckuva lot of time... That's what I'd do. You'll find most Classmates will be willing to enter their info again -- and you get never, more relevant Classmate Profiles to boot.

Edited 08/14/08 5:42 PM
Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 6:36 PM - Response #2

Both of those options require a lot of extra work by someone...whether it's the individual classmate or the admin. The reunion is over, so the hype and drive to enter all the information is passed. For the most part peolpe will have no motivation to enter their info. We have over 680 classmates and I would like the website to appear as if a lot of information is already entered, but the import I already did doesn't show that any profile info has been entered. There's got to be a way around double entry double work.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 7:25 PM - Response #3

You can show any information you're putting in right now if you want to. Just go into your Manage Classmattes area, click on Enter/Edit Classmates manually, and select the second radio button at the top of the page. The information you enter plus any photos will all show right now with that second option selected. If you want to create the illusion that everyone's already on board essentially, there's the ticket right there.

Now -- as each person joins, only photos you've entered on their behalf will be preserved. Otherwise the system is going to ask for contact details, etc. from the Clasmate as they join your site, and any information they supply is going to overwrite information you may have entered on their behalf. If you want to preserve absoultely everything so the Classmate has to do nothing whatsoever, then you have to join the system on behalf of your Classmates, enter all their information, and then supply them their login info. You cerainly have that option if that's what you want to do.

Edited 08/14/08 8:26 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.