ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Obituaries

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/03/08 09:46 AM Views: 1322 Replies: 4
Friday, October 3, 2008 at 9:46 AM

Does anyone know of a good site for finding Obituaries? I have checked local papers, but their online archives don't go back very far. I would at least like to find dates for the classmates that are listed in the "In Memory" section.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 10:01 AM - Response #1

Our local library website was very helpful in finding archived obituaries.

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 10:35 AM - Response #2

If I know where the classmate most recently lived I go to epodunk.com. Enter the town or city and after pressing search look for "Obituaries" in the left hand column of Quick Links. From there I usually select the last of the three selections, "Recent death notices." Enter pertinent information and press search. You'll get a list of newspaper obituaries. If you try to get information directly there is some sort of charge. I don't do that. I go to the website(s) of the listed newspapers and search there. There is often a charge for the full article but usually a free truncated obituary is available. The farthest back these archives go is generally around 2000. Hope this helps.

If you opt to pay to get information from the epodunk site I'd be interested in knowing what it costs.

Another site for getting information, dates in particular, is the Social Security Death Index.

Edited 10/03/08 10:39 AM
Friday, October 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM - Response #3

I've been sucessful using www.legacy.com

Good luck!

Friday, October 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM - Response #4

One thing I did was talk to a couple of the large local cemetery's in town and explained to them what I was doing. They were more than than willing to help. I emailed them the names of our deceased and they were kind enough to email me back the names that were buried at their cemetery along with the dates of death, and the garden and plot number they were buried in. They were extremely helpful.....

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.