ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Ca

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/10/09 05:54 PM Views: 1983 Replies: 1
Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM

In the past if a classmate requested a password, I could go into their profile using their sign-on and the system password and, using the "change password" utility, I would create a "temporary" password for them and then email it to them. Now, for some reason, I can't seem to use the system password that way (Well, Brad has always told me NOT to do that, anyway, so now I can't disobey!)

So how do I set up a password for someone who apparently doesn't have one? Using the Edit Classmate Profile doesn't work, because there is no space on the profile for a password. That space only seems to show up in Details [u]after[u]the classmate has created a password. So I can change it but I can't create it?

For that matter, I just tried entering the site with my own log-on name and the "system password" and it didn't work, either. I guess I don't understand what the system or root password is for if I can't seem to use it at all anymore.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 8:46 PM - Response #1

A long time ago we temporarily made the system password work to log into the site. Long story there, but the bottom line is, here's why allowing people to log into their own personal account with the system password is a very bad idea: Anybody who knows both the system password, and somebody else's personal email address, could easily log in as that person. This is an incredibly insecure situation.

Click on our FAQs link above, and then click on Questions About Passwords. If you still have questions about how the two password features work let me know.

Edited 01/10/09 8:48 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.