ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/11/10 01:44 PM Views: 1702 Replies: 16
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I noticed both "** In Memory" and "'a rose' Contains in Memory Entry" on my Classmate Profiles page.

What cause the entry with the rose to be listed? I ask this because I noticed one missing deceased person was missing from this list.

I would like to have only the entry with the rose listed and not with the "**". How do I do this?

Thanks.

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM - Response #1

The rose appears when either you add text to the In Memory listing (usually by including the obituary) or a classmate adds a comment to that individual's In Memory page. It indicates is something to read there, in effect.

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM - Response #2

John Chidester wrote:

The rose appears when either you add text to the In Memory listing (usually by including the obituary) or a classmate adds a comment to that individual's In Memory page. It indicates is something to read there, in effect.

John,on another topic...I gave you the wrong password for my website..Twisted EvilTwisted Evil. So I won't have to kill you afterwords...I will keep you on the guest list for about a wk...let me know if you need more time.CoolQuestionQuestionExclamationExclamation

Reply
Edited 07/11/10 2:10 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM - Response #3

Do you know exactly how it works?

I do not have entries in the obit and there are no comments posted by class mates, yet there is a rose.

Thanks.

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM - Response #4

Darlene,

I suspect you have the "wrong" John in mind here. I can understand how confusing it might be. Both of our first names are John. Both of us are the Class of 1961. Both of our last names begin with "Ch." That's where the similarities STOP though. One of us is good looking, the other always looks like the photo currently displayed in black & white. One of us is in the middle of the country, while the other of us is in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I'm fairly certain that one of us has some of the best suggestions and ideas that the "I" "ME" glean every time the other "John Ch...." posts like one he suggested on another thread titled: "Need an idea...Help!"

Thanks for letting us know Darlene. At least I'm thankful that you won't be killing me before the end of the week and I will probably do all my looking on tomorrow (Monday) & Tuesday if anything further is needed. I can't thank you enough for some of the great ideas I've already gleaned.

The John Ch....in the beautiful Pacific Northwest...where it is nice and green year-round and just recovering from our most unusual heat wave. COOL AGAIN---WHEW!RazzSurprisedVery HappySmileCool

Reply
Edited 07/11/10 2:51 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM - Response #5

Maybe it gets 'turned on' if there is a yearbook photo?

Thanks for clarifying John Chr... I couldn't remember getting a password from Darlene.

Reply
Edited 07/11/10 2:48 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM - Response #6

John Chidester wrote:

Maybe it gets 'turned on' if there is a yearbook photo?

Thanks for clarifying John Chr... I couldn't remember getting a password from Darlene.

Nope, just having Senior Picture does not turn the Rose on. I still have 2 or 3 Memory classmates that all they have is a Senior Picture. When a classmate leaves a memory notation, that turns on the Rose. Also, in there comments section where usually put an Obituary, that turns on the Rose. ANYTHING in that section will turn on the Rose. Some I have not found much information, and I simply put statement something like "Passed Away on July 16, 1992" that will place the Rose.

I have been working real hard on my "In Memory" to the point of traveling home to spend some time in the library, and walking the cemetary. With 28 deceased classmates, I now know something about all but 6 of them. We knew absolutely nothing when I started the website, other than they passed away some time or another.

Reply
Edited 07/11/10 3:47 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM - Response #7

Since the photo is in a "unique" frame (something an admin might create) it shows up as an "entry" and thus the rose is added. I remember reading about that either in the FAQ's or a thread before joining CC. Seems like eon's ago!

John, that site you are helping your friend with is one of the best ones I've seen (so far). I'm also very impressed with Darlene's site. She has been gracious enough to give me access so I can see first hand how a multi-year site works. I'm trying to view every site that I can--getting ideas--so I can provide ideas. I'm just not too sure about some site admins who lock down EVERY page. Found two sites where even the Home page is password protected and other sites that are encouraging their classmates to use Classmates & Facebook. I suppose I'm missing something with those concepts--WEIRD!

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM - Response #8

Ian,
So far, our classmates seem a bit "mum" on posting anything, and although i may not have known all those posted on our Memory page, i just posted a simple "Sorry to hear of the passing of ...." "Belated deepest condolences to his family and friends..." so that everyone gets a rose!
Derrel,
That's kind of you to take the time and provide dignity even in death on your Memory page also! Many of our classmates have seemed to have "passed away" with nary a murmur and i hope to at least give others a chance to post their thoughts or at least think about it!
Miracles just take a little longer sometimes!
What goes around , comes around and perhaps this is the one place others can find the name of their loved ones and reflect on their lives and the importance of leaving some sort of positive legacy.
Just a thought, and i hope that others will give a thought to others in the future. At our reunion in two weeks, our "Guests of Honor" will be the children of our classmates that are unable to attend due to their untimely demise.
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas on how to honor those that are unable to attend because they are "out of body"!
It is most appreciated!
kris
p.s. On the past subject of commemorating those that have passed away,etc, perhaps differing icons of a red rose for "deceased" and a yellow rose for "comments posted" may be helpful. Roses are universal and always "politically correct"!

Reply
Edited 07/11/10 3:40 PM
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM - Response #9

John,

You seem to be correct in that ANYTHING in the comment section turns on the rose.

Looking at the source I saw that I had inserted the HTML code "

. That did it. THANKS.

So...now that I have the rose for all my deceased classmates I want to remove the "** In Memory" listing from the Classmate profile. It seems redundant given that I have the rose listing.

Do you know how to do that?

Thanks.

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM - Response #10

Ian Guthrie wrote:

John,

You seem to be correct in that ANYTHING in the comment section turns on the rose.

Looking at the source I saw that I had inserted the HTML code "

. That did it. THANKS.

So...now that I have the rose for all my deceased classmates I want to remove the "** In Memory" listing from the Classmate profile. It seems redundant given that I have the rose listing.

Do you know how to do that?

Thanks.

Good question. I am pretty sure the "**" is internally generated with the program, in order to Create the In Memory menu section itself. I don't think that can be removed, but good question to ask the Support folks. Smile

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM - Response #11

OK support folks...what say you? Smile

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM - Response #12

It cannot be removed.


Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:29 PM - Response #13

OK...then can I replace both "**" with am image, say a rose?

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:44 PM - Response #14

John Chidester wrote:

Maybe it gets 'turned on' if there is a yearbook photo?

Thanks for clarifying John Chr... I couldn't remember getting a password from Darlene.


Sorry....I was checking the forum quickly.....while editing my website...mmmmmmm!!! I guess I can't multi-task as good as I use to!!!
Thanx for understandingWink

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM - Response #15

John Christman wrote:

Since the photo is in a "unique" frame (something an admin might create) it shows up as an "entry" and thus the rose is added. I remember reading about that either in the FAQ's or a thread before joining CC. Seems like eon's ago!

John, that site you are helping your friend with is one of the best ones I've seen (so far). I'm also very impressed with Darlene's site. She has been gracious enough to give me access so I can see first hand how a multi-year site works. I'm trying to view every site that I can--getting ideas--so I can provide ideas. I'm just not too sure about some site admins who lock down EVERY page. Found two sites where even the Home page is password protected and other sites that are encouraging their classmates to use Classmates & Facebook. I suppose I'm missing something with those concepts--WEIRD!


Geesh...why would these peeps recommend Classmates??? or even link this site to there??? Rolling EyesRolling Eyes I hate that site. So many of our classmates still sign up there...even tho when you Google my HS..Our website on CC comes up around 3rd or 4th. I have made announcement after announcement telling them to go the our site here....they are deaf and dumb..I swear.ShockedShocked I tell them on classmates the only way to pay is to go to the our website...I even fudged it so good...any puter challenged get find it.CoolCool
Check out my homepage..I just revamped it..with more to come tonite!!!!

Reply
Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM - Response #16

Sorry...Brad & Bunch...John and I kinda got off topic..I should have posted my long reply somewhere else!!! Twisted EvilTwisted EvilWinkWinkQuestionQuestion

Reply
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.