ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Changing Site from Single to Multiple Graduating Years

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/18/10 11:07 PM Views: 1310 Replies: 7
Monday, October 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I want to add another year to my page. It says that you can't change back and I want to know if anyone has done that before and what problems I can expect.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM - Response #1

We lost a class joining us here on CC today. They chose a 'free' site as they do not think it wise to spend funds and they see the work involved as something they are not interested in. They have no idea what they are getting into and did not take a behind the scenes tour with me while on the phone. This shared...

I considered inviting them to share our site. Yet, I do not want to carry them much after their reunion next year as they do not have an interest to keep a site. That leads me to the same question you pose, Cheryl. Not being able to 'go back' scares me. If we were to add another class and those responsible drop out, am I stuck with the multiple years showing? Do I have to keep the classmate profiles for that year? There are too many unknowns.

Add to my questions, the responses from a handful of classmates to a recent survey. Most of the written responses had an mention of 'when' the other class(es) see what is so good, they will want their own site.

I do not need all to be considering this while I am still trying to get post-reunion info to complete reports. Ahhhhh, but wait...

I had another question that could work. I have read about an "Alumni Association" with classes having individual sites. I believe that was here on CC. If so, I'd like to learn more about that... much more.

That's it. Looking forward to replies. Smile

Gwen

Edited 10/19/10 12:30 AM
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM - Response #2

Thanks Gwen,

I hope others respond because I could certainly use more information and more info on the alumni part.

Cheryl

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM - Response #3

I would love to hear more about alumni associations too.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 10:42 AM - Response #4

I knew I should have saved that site address. I'll watch for it, Jim. The admin has posted in the forums.

Gwen

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM - Response #5

If you're wondering why you can't go back, it's because when you change to the multi structure the system expands to accommodate all kinds of additional data and make it all work together. The underlying database itself is altered. For instance rather than a class table for 1 year, there is a class table for many years. What happens to that structure and that data if you try to go back to 1 single year? Although it's technically possible to program such a thing, the number of connections that would have to be undone and number of structural revisions that would have to be automated is enormous -- so enormous we chose to simply have 1 structure or the other.

I just posted a new link about alumni site concepts here. I think in most cases larger schools will want to use this new alumni site structure vs. the current "multi" structure which was primarily programmed to meet the needs of smaller schools where many classes function more like 1 class, have all school reunions, etc.

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM - Response #6

Hi Qwen:
We may be one of the sites you were asking about. Take a look if you like. The only pages you will not be able to access are the scanned Yearbook pages. If you want to see those, click on the following link. I think it will work.

http://www.albemarlealumni.com/class_custom8.cfm

Friday, January 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM - Response #7

Very nice site, Stan...

Thanks for sharing. You've done great work over the past 3-4 months!

Of course with a database of 19,000+ it will be a never-ending job.

Congratulations.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.