ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Once a member of a class - always a member

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/13/13 06:39 PM Views: 889 Replies: 4
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Over a year ago, a classmate offered to sell her yearbook to another classmate who was looking for one. Though I asked her if she was sure she wanted to do that, she did. Over time, I noticed she was not posting on Facebook nor had she visited our site. In the midst of my life happenings, I paused recently to search the internet for her. Regretfully, I found the two sentences that gave her name, town/state, date of birth and date of death. The first three matched and my fears were confirmed. Very reluctantly, I added her to In Memory but did not make an announcement.

Today, another classmate posted on her In Memory page. He wrote: "Lloyd, You shocked me on facebook, I'm so sorry you had such a rough life. Sorry we as a class were never really there for you. Hope you are enjoying peace finally in the arms of our Lord."

I had not posted In Memory of our classmate. It was time, I wrote: "I agree with XXXX XXXXXX's words, Lloyd/Laura. I thought about you often. A recent search did not turn up positive. It was with deep regret that I added you here - In Memory. Whatever the journey you had in life, it is no one's place to judge. I would have stood in front of anyone and given them my twenty-five cents worth who thought they were better than you or anyone of us. Peace be with you."

In Memory of my classmate, I hope that each one of us will put aside our personal beliefs and feelings to give each individual the respect each one of us deserves.

This is not a post to begin a debate or worse. Please respect that I lost a classmate who deserved better. Thank you.

P.S. You are all a part of my CC family. One seeks their family at times like these. Thanks for being here.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM - Response #1
griefnoquickfixesexcellentmessage.jpg

So sorry for your loss, Gwen. This journey and "mission" of admin is more challenging in ways we did not even imagine when started!
Perhaps your post and the site will offer your class/classmates an opportunity to examine their own views and beliefs, and more importantly to act on them. time is much shorter than we think, and often, it seems, those going through challenges, especially physical in our aging process,etc fell isolated or do not want to share.
CC has given us a tool to reach out, especially to those we have not had contact with in years, or perhaps "close to never", and make a difference!
Thanks for sharing your story, and thanks to CC for giving me an "excuse" to find a way to make sense of this crazy journey, Life, friends, both new and old and "reunions" of all types. I am certain the stories that CC has spawned, as well as the healing of feelings cannot be measured in words! But Thanks!! Brad and crew, you are on a Mission, and thanks for helping us be a part of it!!
Thanks Gwen! Cyber Hugs to you!
(just passing along a graphic found recently, since it seems that grief is the order of the day lately)

Edited 08/13/13 6:54 PM
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM - Response #2

Well, Gwen, you opened the flood gate of tears with that one. Something we should all remember and practice!

Thanks for the message and thanks for being such a phenomenal role model!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM - Response #3

Gwen, you and your classmate are in my thoughts. Thank you for sharing this story with us all, I am sure that each reunion has a back-story, many not as moving as this one.

Anne

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM - Response #4

Gwen, what a bittersweet story. It's too bad that many of us were so "ignorant" and self absorbed in those school days so as to not to pay much attention to those who really needed a friend. It especially reminds us to go ahead and reach out to all classmates. Classmates can be such a comfort and source of support. We are blessed. I love the way your classmate expressed his regret at not having been there for him. It sure reminds us to not judge and to be more aware. I just lost a classmate a few days ago. It is sad in any case. Thanks for sharing your story. B PS Love my CC family too!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.