ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

off topic

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/10/09 12:59 PM Views: 1971 Replies: 8
Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 12:59 PM

We have been looking around for a database that we as a committee can share online. Since we have 25,000 names to manage it is getting to be too much for one person to handle. Does anyone know of a good one? And maybe what they cost?
thanks

Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM - Response #1

What do you need to do that you can't do now with multiple Administrators?

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM - Response #2

Brad,
Right now we use MS Access to maintain the database. This is used to keep the address correct, keep a record of dues and donations. We also have differant kinds of mailers that we do, for instance we do a golf mailer so that anyone who expressed an interest in golf it gets it. Your database has been very helpful. I do notice that not everyone gives their correct address online. It may seem like a little thing but when you maintain a database and see that some people do not put apartments numbers or units numbers it can get confusing. They also do not usually put zip code extension too. This saves us money on mailers. We want the database not for Alumni to see but just the committee. For example we just sent out 14,000 pieces of mail. We had abut 500 come back with a change of address or lost. That is alot of changes and right now the DB is in my office so I have to update all. I would like to get to the point that this chore can be shared by our committee. Of course on Access we can create queryies, reports and forms. We work like we are sort of like a magazine or newspaper.

Monday, January 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM - Response #3

Hi Ray,

Goldmine has online options you might want to check into. http://www.goldmine.com/micro.aspx?id=6566

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 at 9:40 AM - Response #4

Goldmine looks like a possibilty especially for the younger crowd. It looks like they could help maintain the DB on their blackberryies. It is just a little to much for us right now. Thanks

Friday, January 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM - Response #5

Ray,

Don't you think it would better to at least hire a younger alumni part time, just to help you maintain the site through goldmine?

Edited 01/16/09 6:14 PM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:49 PM - Response #6

We are all volunteers. I am looking for ways to get more people involved. It seems the easist way for people to get involved is right at home on their own computer. If can do this I can really increace the amount of work we can accomplish.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 8:06 PM - Response #7

Then you have to find those are interested in keeping the Spirit alive. Just got to reach out to the young alumni. No matter how much it takes.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM - Response #8

Ray Guim wrote:

We have been looking around for a database that we as a committee can share online. Since we have 25,000 names to manage it is getting to be too much for one person to handle. Does anyone know of a good one? And maybe what they cost?
thanks

You could use "Data Access Pages" (DAP) sharing function to allow your helpers to update the Access database. Google info... There are some good tutorials in the search results. Obviously you need to be make sure the edit page is secure to prevent tampering. Frequent, multiple, backups are pretty important also.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.