ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Upload a file that is not on YouTube?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/29/10 05:55 PM Views: 1591 Replies: 7
Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

A classmate has granddaughters competing in some sort of equestrian gymanstics. Videos are here: http://download.leonardfamilyvideos.com/Nationals2010/SundayRush-ATeam-ccd3/index.html. Is there any way we can add them to our class website that does not simply consist of putting up a link to them where they (for now) are?

Sunday, August 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM - Response #1

Do you have the original videos? If so what format are they in?

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM - Response #2

The classmate merely gave me the link I sent you. She does not have the videos.

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM - Response #3

All right, there's a variety of answers I could give you here and they all vary in complexity. So, unless you have a need to do something different, I'm going to give you instructions for embedding these videos on your web site but pulling them from the server they're currently on. Nobody watching them will realize where they're pulling from, it will just look like part of your web site.

1) First, it's important to note what the full links to these videos are. I have provided the paths for you below:

http://download.leonardfamilyvideos.com/Nationals2010/movies/SundayRush-AteamComp-H.264-highBandwidth-04fe.mov
http://download.leonardfamilyvideos.com/Nationals2010/movies/SundayRush-AteamFree-H.264-highBandwidth-75c7.mov

I got these paths just by clicking View, Source on the site hosting the videos.

2) Next, you need to understand how to embed Quicktime videos on your site. And when you do, you'll need to put in the paths above inside the embed code. This is a lot easier than it probably sounds so let me simply give you a link to a site with instructions for embedding Quicktime videos: http://www.jakeludington.com/project_studio/20050911_embedding_quicktime_mov.html

3) Read the instructions on that site, replace the path with the paths I gave you in step 1, copy the embed code into your site (make sure you click the Source button on the upper left corner of the editor first) and the videos should play great.

If you need a hand with this just let me know.

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM - Response #4

Hey, Brad -- Very complete response. I may try it, but I have two issues:

1. If the site they are on drops them, we are SOL. I'd really like a way to import them wholesale. I do have an ISP where I could host them so we don't impact the ClassCreator storage volume, if that matters.

2. This approach means that every time someone views the video from our site, there is a bandwidth consumption from the present site. If they are bandwidth-billed, they get dinged for our access. Is this an outdated concern?

Much obliged,
Guy

Monday, August 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM - Response #5

Correct, if the site drops them with this method you are SOL. You can host the videos anywhere including here, it's really a matter of whether or not you want to take up your 200 megs of File Vault space here by doing that. For us it doesn't matter if you do it either way.

Most sites still allow you to pull in objects like videos or images. Your concern is valid though. The people who run that server don't have to allow it -- most do like I said though.

Here's a little trick to get those videos downloaded to your local computer:

1) Take the two links I gave you above and make them clickable links on any page of our site
2) View the page live in your browser
3) Right click the link and select "Save target as" (or the equivalent based on your browser) and save the videos to your local computer.
4) Now upload the videos to File Vault or third party host of your choice
5) Use the embed code to embed the videos on your page

Now you've got control of the videos, eliminating your "SOL" concern.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM - Response #6

I have an original video on a DVD that I would like to upload onto my site. Someone who knows what he's doing (not me) said he could help me by making it into a format that can run on our website. He just needs the format that the site uses. It could be .avi, windows media player, mpg3 or whatever.

The video is about 6 minutes long. I don't know if that uses a lot of storage. I would like to economize, inasmuch as I will be loading lots of photos from our reunion last weekend.

And a plug for you. Our classmates love the website and are really excited that we are continuing our subscription!

Thanks for your help.
Julie

Friday, May 27, 2011 at 11:40 AM - Response #7

you could choose mpeg4, windows media, or FLV. However, you will need to have the code for your player and change your code so that it will access our file vault once you have the file uploaded. Honestly, the easiest way would be to upload to a private (non searchable) YoutTube channel. It will not be found with the general searches on YouTube and you will not have to worry about using up a log of file vault space. Simply upload to YouTube and then use the embed code that they provide.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.