ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Transfer Profiles to new Class Creator Website

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/10/10 11:43 AM Views: 1230 Replies: 7
Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Our website was set up to manage the class of '64. Classmates of '65 were allowed to register as guests so they could see the profiles, etc.

The class of '65 now wants to set up its own website - and will be contacting Class Creator soon, to get the domain name, pay the subscription, etc.

How can we transfer the guest profiles to the new website and also, how can we let classmates from '64 and '65 (and perhaps '63, later) see all the profile info from each class, given each class will have its own Class Creator site?

I looked in the Forums but did not find the answer there - it might be there, I just couldn't find it.

Thanks

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM - Response #1

Larry,

You are talking about a "Guest Pass" system. It hasn't been developed yet, but it has been talked about and I believe it is on the ClassCreator internal task list. If/when this is developed, you would have a list of different websites and the classmates from those websites could view the information on your website, provided they were logged in to their own website.

At least that is how I think it would work.

Right now, there is no EASY way to transfer your guest classmates to the other website. One of the reasons is because the profile questions can change and are never the same. If you wanted to transfer them individually, that would be the best way.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM - Response #2

Along those same lines, couldn't Larry convert to a Multi-year site and then offer each class their own Admin to maintain their own particular year.

This is something I've been thinking about six to 12 months down the road. Or am I missing something?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM - Response #3

John..you took the words right outta my mouthy...Twisted Evil
We have a 3 yr site..with over 1700 grads...we only have 14% joined...some that are missing are really...they just haven't joined the site or our puter challenged..like me!!! he! he!Rolling Eyes

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM - Response #4

Take a look at this thread, where the same question came up. That link will take you directly to my response regarding this question.

Bottom line, it's a very good and valid suggestion, but would come with a serious business model revamp first. We'd obviously have to price that at something that keeps us profitable as Support requirements become significant. I'll bounce it back at you just in case you're interested in brainstorming it -- what do you suggest? What would work for you? Too much and nobody does it. Too little and the thing sinks. It would have to be carefully thought out then tested, any ideas, hit me.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 4:48 PM - Response #5

Donald Carter wrote:

That is a great idea for multi-year sites. An admin to manage their own class year, that way the root admin would have less stress to manage all years.

I am the Root Admin...of a 3 yr multi-class site of over 1600..we are at 14% participation..cause we are still trying to get them off classmates!!! and locating them. I give the other 3 certain duties...they carry them out...No Stress here!!! If it's stressing you out..you are trying to do too much. WinkQuestionQuestion
You can get a few from each class...and assign duties to them they feel comfortable with. Smile

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM - Response #6

Brad wrote:

Quote:

I'll bounce it back at you just in case you're interested in brainstorming it -- what do you suggest?

I wasn't looking at this as a way of "saving money" per se. However, now that you have brought that issue up, that alone answers many of my questions. Interestingly, it also creates some new ones.

I think something like this could be very workable for all parties concerned. Brad, as you so often reflected, "Let me think on this and I'll get back to you." I actually already have a good example in mind--just need to polish it up a bit and find the time to write it up--I think you will see it has merit and that you will like it.Idea

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

Take a look at this thread, where the same question came up. That link will take you directly to my response regarding this question.

Bottom line, it's a very good and valid suggestion, but would come with a serious business model revamp first. We'd obviously have to price that at something that keeps us profitable as Support requirements become significant. I'll bounce it back at you just in case you're interested in brainstorming it -- what do you suggest? What would work for you? Too much and nobody does it. Too little and the thing sinks. It would have to be carefully thought out then tested, any ideas, hit me.

I looked at that thread..and this is my comment with the quoted reply ahead of it.
Brad Switzer wrote:

Thanks Terry. Let me think on that. 98% of sites here have 3 admins or less. With Admin Rights generally being something people are only going to set once, I'm not sure it warrants real estate on the interface.

Putting individual Admins by year on multi year sites would probably make us have to change our pricing model for multi year sites. The multi system was initially built to accommodate smaller schools who often threw All Year reunions. We may well do that as the alumni sites really take off here, but realities are that all of a sudden you have 20 Admins on a multi site, all running their class within that structure, and we're supporting all of them for $9 a month. If that was our model we'd sink faster than the Titanic. So, should we do that in the future, we'd definitely have to change our business model first.

Brad is right, good programmers cost a good buck..you need good system analysts, customer service, etc etc. Try to find another site for $9 a month..and get this kind of service. Brand & Co...ROCK!!! You can't get any better!!!
No need to have different admins for each class...I don't...we all work together...The classes of 64,65 & 66...all wanted to attend a reunion.Most of us knew each other...now some 67ers are getting fired up.
It's a win win situation for us. I have over 1700 classmates in my database and about 250 have joined and active. Remember your site needs to be funded...if we would have to split the site up and pay for each...there would be no 64 or 66 class site. Crying or Very sad
Again...CC ROCKSExclamationExclamationExclamationExclamationExclamationExclamation

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.