ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating a Facebook link

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/17/10 09:17 PM Views: 3094 Replies: 22
Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Facebook shouldn't be viewed as an alternative to your Class Creator website. Think of it as a source for finding some of your class members -- and most probably ones that are active on the Internet and familiar with Internet use.

Create a Facebook group for your class if you don't already have one. (It's kind of complicated to find out how... Shame on Facebook.)

Once you've got the group going, simply copy the URL to the Facebook Group.

Right-click on the above image and choose Save Image As... and save it to temporarily to your desktop.

Create an announcement or simply edit your home page and write a few words about your Facebook group. Click on the IMAGE icon in the editor. Browse to find the image you just saved on your desktop and upload the image. While that image is still selected, click on the "Image Info" Tab and type in the complete URL to your Facebook group page. (This makes the image clickable; you can also create a CLICK HERE link to the same URL.

Here's the completed announcement (by itself) as it appears on our homepage.

Edited 10/17/10 9:23 PM
Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM - Response #1

Here's a site that can walk you through setting up a Facebook Group -- and gives some advice on which choices to make regarding organization.

http://www.squidoo.com/createfacebookgroup

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:43 PM - Response #2

I am still having trouble getting the facebook link to work..do you have any ideas? when I save the link the facebook logo disappears..frustrating..

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 12:52 AM - Response #3

Cheryl,

Please review your home page and see if what I fixed for you is what you wanted.

Kyle

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM - Response #4

Yes! Can I hire you? Very Happy

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM - Response #5

If you look at the source code, you were trying to insert your facebook group as the image. What you really wanted is the IMAGE that you already uploaded to be the image and then the group and the surrounding text to be included in the link.

You could hire me, but I already have a full time job. The Class Creator job is just part-time.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 12:19 AM - Response #6

John, I am trying to create a facebook link on my home page (announcements) on my International Friendship Club (CC) site and I keep getting the red X when I click on image info and add url. If I just upload it not putting in the url I can get the graphic. I already did this a couple of months back on my Watterson High school site with no problem. Then on a mac now on husbands pc. Sad Cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Before I did a nice Click Here button and have no idea how I did that now either. Sad HELP!! Confused

Janie Blank

Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 1:00 AM - Response #7

Hi Janie:

You have a link to the Facebook page now -- the link says "Click Here" -- and what you want to do is make the "Find us on Facebook" graphic to be clickable instead of having the text link. Is that correct?

1. Right-click on the text link and choose "Copy Link Location"

2. Edit this announcement and click once on the graphic "Find Us on Facebook". This will cause that graphic to be highlighted.

3. While it is highlighted click on the link icon in the Editor Strip -- the globe with the links of chain. This brings up the Edit Link window. Right-click in the URL box and choose "Paste". This copies that link location into the URL space. VIEW THIS

4. My rule of thumb is if I'm creating a link that will take my visitor to a different domain, I want that link to open the new domain in a new window/tab. To make that happen, click on the "Target" tab and select "New Window" from the drop-down window. If you don't mind sending your visitors off your website, then don't do this step.

5. Click on "OK" and Click on "Save"

6. Test your link. Remember it will open in a new window or tab. If this works, you can get rid of the "Click Here" line.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM - Response #8

Thanks John. After some trial and error -- your instructions above worked. A little tricky -- but it workedRolling Eyes

Friday, February 3, 2012 at 6:10 PM - Response #9

This is not working for me. It was working a couple of days ago and now it is not.

I need help.

Thanks.

Monica

Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM - Response #10

Monica,

It is fixed now. You were using the name= attribute for the link. It should be the href= attribute so that the link would go to your facebook group.

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM - Response #11

I think I have a Facebook Group page which is identified as our high school's 1964 class 50th reunion. We have double the number of classmates on FaceBook as have signed on to our web site. I want a clickable link on our FB page to drive the FBk'rs to our reunion web site. I have read all of the above tips and I am still befuddled.
Any other tips and/or step by step instructions. I am out of computers for almost 10 years and my learning curve seems to be a cliff! Thanks, Glenda PS: the squidoo link mentioned above is now off-line. I am wondering if FB will allow me to have a link that will take people FROM FB and send them to my web site?

Edited 05/10/13 11:12 PM
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM - Response #12

[quote=" I am wondering if FB will allow me to have a link that will take people FROM FB and send them to my web site?[/quote]

Has there been any information posted regarding Glenda's question of FB allowing us to include a link to our web site (s)? This is an essential idea for us seeing as I have 800+ classmates, a 25th class reunion approaching and more registered on FB than on our web site Crying or Very sad

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM - Response #13

Raquel and Glenda,

This is very easy to do on FB. Post a new comment that says something like "to read more details about our class and to connect with old friends, go to www.XXXXXXXXX.com." After you hit Enter, there will be a link to your site. I've done it many times.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM - Response #14

I post a link to our website on Facebook all the time. It's been essential with an upcoming reunion and in getting people to register on the website.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM - Response #15

I have this on my home page but as far as linking to our facebook class site --not working. Can you help class creator guy?

Edited 06/26/13 9:20 AM
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM - Response #16

Mill,

Can't help unless I know your Facebook link you want posted. If you just want the general www.facebook.com link, I can do that.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM - Response #17

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EtownClassof75/

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM - Response #18

OK, it is done.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM - Response #19

I lost that facebook link after I added a playlist. Now I placed the facebook image to the announcement area. Can you link https://www.facebook.com/groups/EtownClassof75/

And what am I doing wrong that it disappeared after I added the playlist so this won't happen again?

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM - Response #20

OK, the link is fixed in the announcement. I don't know exactly what you are doing, but it appears that somehow you are deleting the link, so it stops working.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM - Response #21

I am confused when I get in the editor. I went to add my playlist and my facebook link and message was there. When I watched the instruction viseo, it says to delete those and not fill the page up. I did and it deleted the facebook link. Mad

Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM - Response #22

Well, mystery solved. You could have copied them and pasted them into the announcement and the link to Facebook would have followed the image. I don't know why the instructional video says to delete the contents because I don't think that is necessary.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.