ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Complaint of Slow Website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/19/12 10:59 PM Views: 1069 Replies: 1
Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Today we received this note (see below) explaining his difficulties when visiting our website today and with recent visits. The only possible problem that I could come up with other than connectivity … is his browser. Could it be as simple as his web browser? I currently use Firefox and/or Explorer. My own experiences with the two… there’s some tasks that I cannot accomplish when using Explorer when uploading… trying the same tack with Firefox, usually the upload or download will work just fine. This individual has pointed this out to us on a couple occasions. I discussed this with my Co-Administrator this afternoon and she’s just like me, she has never experienced any problems when moving from one page to another.

This is our first complaint concerning slowness … we have over 250 former classmates and guests on our site.

What should we advise this person to do in the future?

Thank You

Mac

The website seems to be running slower and slower every time I access it. Occasionally when I click on a student name, that student web page does not even open. E.g. this morning I notice that ^^^^^ was on line while I was. So out of curiosity, I clicked on her name. All I got was the orange page with the cougar walking down that tree. No ^^^^^. Maybe it would have opened if I had waited 5 minutes but I didn’t wait.

I don’t know the reason (I’m pretty sure it is not my computer) but my speculation is that the site is accumulating a lot of content. Maybe not. I don’t know. I’m no IT expert. However, if that is the case, there is a lot of content on the home page that could be removed until after the reunion.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM - Response #1

There are many variables to consider - connection speed, browser, Operating system, computer, memory and video card - and then there's content. Each site has to decide their minimum requirements. The less demanding the site, the greater the audience. Commercial sites are a good reference for page length.

Here's a LINK to a topic on CC discussing page length. It wouldn't hurt to make this a "sticky" since there are some basic design rules that can help give boundaries.

It is sort of a personal thing and therefore a somewhat sensitive topic. But there are some rules one can discover just by doing some google searches on page design. John Chidester who started that, has commercial graphics experience. Has nice clean CC designs.

If one constantly visits their web site they will not notice the accumulation of "stuff" that slows things down because it's cached on your machine.

Flash objects, especially with animation (or any animation for that matter) tax a system more. Every graphic has to download. In this particular case, the page length is approaching 100 pages. Is that too long? Are there any commercial sites that are that long?

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.