ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Traveling Message

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/27/11 11:31 AM Views: 1921 Replies: 15
Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I'm trying to see if it's possible to put on a moving announcement that will scroll across the top of the Home Page (or portion thereof) that we can use to make special announcements, which can be changed regularly. Like the emergency weather announcements at the top of the TV screen. I don't know what you would call this, and I'm not even sure I'm capable of understanding the instructions to do it, but would like to try. Any suggestions?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM - Response #1

Hi Carmela,

Try this:

Check out this cool scrolling message!

Copy the above and paste it into the Source view of your editor.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM - Response #2

Just one word of caution. Those of us with newer systems and current browsers that use video acceleration (and that assumes a decent video card) will think this looks nice.

And for those without the above will notice a system that starts crawling. I had to remove ours for just that reason.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM - Response #3

I know I'm really thick when it comes to this sort of thing, but by copying this and pasting it to the source view, will I be able to change the message that scrolls? Also, I copied by clicking on the scrolling text, but when I pasted it to my Home Page (clicked source first, pasted, then clicked source again) all I get is "check out this cool scrolling message" which isn't scrolling. Clearly, I'm not getting the right steps. Help!

Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM - Response #4

Carmela,

I pasted the needed codes to your home page. You will notice the difference when you view your home page. In the EDITOR, it won't scroll. In SOURCE mode, you will be able to see the MARQUEE codes that are needed.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM - Response #5

Wow, I did notice the changes and they were GREAT. But I fear, I've messed it up. Since the statement I wanted is different, I tried to make the change (it was scrolling the first line of what was already there), and not only lost the original sentence of the static portion, but lost the scrolling again.

Also, I noticed that a pending announcement which I hadn't yet approved was showing, but the 2 previous were missing. When I screwed up the scrolling message, the old announcements came back! Were they somehow connected?

Anyway, I appreciate that you pasted the codes, but how will I be able to do this in the future? Do I always have to click source code first before I make changes?

Friday, October 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM - Response #6

Eddie Azman also has edit site pages privileges. Could he have approved those announcements? Are you talking about the announcements found in your POST ANNOUNCEMENTS page? I am not sure which announcements are showing up that shouldn't. I didn't do anything in that area of the program on your website.

Any time you want to change codes, you need to use the SOURCE page.

You can use the page backup feature to restore a change that you made mistakes. Looking at your page backups (scroll down to the bottom of the page), I see that I made the change at Thursday, October 27, 2011 @ 11:43:57 PM. You can go back to that page backup and see how the change was made with the MARQUEE codes (you have to click SOURCE to see the codes). The page won't display with those codes unless you click SAVE CHANGES.

Friday, October 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM - Response #7

The announcements were mine, however, last night a classmate submitted a Birthday announcement. When I checked the announcement edit page, my 2 were active, the birthday wasn't, but they appeared on the screen in reverse. When I existed and returned all was right! No, Eddie hasn't done anything on the website yet.

I don't know what I did (truly, I don't), but it seemed to work! Hopefully, I'll remember how this was done for next time! Thanks.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM - Response #8

Our reunion is approaching in a few short weeks.

As expected - there are many last minute announcements and clarifications.

I would like to create a scrolling message alerting classmates that there is something they need to know.

I understand that the site automatically sends out alerts when you change things, but often those appear in People's
Junk mail and get missed.

I did see previous correspondence from you to another site administrator. But it appears you went into her site and changed things for her.

Unfortunately that does me no good. Where can I find the correct "codes" (don't know what else to call them) that I can place in the source so my messages scroll.

Thanks

Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 5:42 PM - Response #9

Scrolling messages are 3rd party, Lynn. You'll paste the code into SOURCE. I'll be back with one or two sites you can check out, though another admin may beat me to it. Wink

Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 5:50 PM - Response #10

Could not find my sources quickly, so I googled 'scrolling text'. Here are a few:

http://www.flashvortex.com/Scrolling-Text-Marquee-Generator

http://wigflip.com/signbot/

http://www.quackit.com/html/codes/scrolling_text.cfm

This one is probably the best of these:
http://www.hypergurl.com/marquee.html

I'm still looking for the source of two I use.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM - Response #11
Marquee.txt

In HTML it's called marquee and is something I used to scroll the words to our school song across the home page. I've attached the source code in the text file. You can paste that into a test page on your site to play with and see if you can get what you want.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM - Response #12

That's great, FC!
I am keeping that one! Smile

Lynn, are you okay changing the words and color in the coding. It isn't difficult.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM - Response #13

Where can you get the color code?
I've added the words to our school song. Would like to add the Music along with the words. How do I do that?

Edited 08/20/14 1:34 PM
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM - Response #14

I think you mean the value to put in the font color where you now have #D3D3D3?

Here's a LINK to get colors and values.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 at 2:14 PM - Response #15

No help needed unless you want to add for the next person.

Went to the Help Admin tab and found out how to add the music.
Found the color on another announcement I had added to a page.

Thanks,
kk
Check it out! www.wichitanorth64.com
Reunion is Oct 2 -5, 2015. Ike's it getting close. Wish registrations would come in faster. lol

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.