Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

military service recognition

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/27/09 01:26 AM Views: 1569 Replies: 10
Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:26 AM

I received this message from one of my classmate:

"Hi Joe,
Just a quick question..how come I do not get a flag next to my name for military service...I was activated during Operation Enduring Freedom and spent 15 months at Walter Reed Army medical Center..even though I am still an active reservist I am a veteran as well...thanks"

Can this person have two flags by their name?
Thanks, Joe

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM - Response #1

Most likely the Classmate needs to go in and add the branch of the military he served in his Profile. Tell him to do this:

1) Click Edit Profile on the left navigation
2) Make sure all info in the military section is complete

Doing this will cause the flag to appear next to his name. When you mouse over the flag on the Classmate Profiles page, the branch of the military served will pop up. No, somebody who has served the military can only have one flag next to his or her name, not 2.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 1:47 AM - Response #2

So if she wants the American flag,her reserves info should be deleted and only her active duty entered?

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 2:14 AM - Response #3

Hi...
It makes no difference if you are Reserves or Active Duty...There is plenty of room to enter the information in the space on Preferences, and she can indicate dates of service. I think most just put the branch, but there's room to be specific.
One basically becomes a Vet once they have served, so no need for more than one flag. We even had a mom enter her son's service in the box, and i left it, because the family serves also. She did indicate that in the box also though.
Thanks again to all who serve and who have served.
A reminder that Freedom isn't Free.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM - Response #4

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 4:46 AM - Response #5

I'm not getting this across. All the people on my site have an AMERICAN flag except her.
I'm guessing this is what shes unhappy about.
I'm also guessing it is because she entered "USAR Nurse Corp", that she got a different flag.
Do you follow me now?

Monday, July 27, 2009 at 5:18 AM - Response #6

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I get it. She's confusing the country served with the location she was in while serving. She might have been in Germany or wherever else, but she was serving the United States. She needs to go back into her Profile and under the Military question select "United States" for the country that she served. The military flag shown is a direct result of what country you've indicated you served. We had to set it up this way because many overseas schools are on Class Creator. So if somebody wants a Canadian flag, they sould select Canada, if somebody wants a US flag, they should select the United States, etc.

Edited 07/27/09 5:20 AM
Monday, July 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM - Response #7

Joe,
Brad is right, have her keep it simple, indicating her service (UNITED STATES ARMY) and country (USA), and then specify Nurse Corps if that's correct in her narrative. (i am also USNR/NC/RET and i just put my years in parenthesis...) but most just leave it at the service, unless they are still in or did their 20 or retired,etc...Hope you found an answer somewhere! Good Luck!

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM - Response #8

I've had this issue come up today on our site for the second time. I think vets are confused by this question because if the first answer is US Army, answering US again for the second question seems kind of redundant. Additionally, if they served for the US overseas, they are proud of that fact, so they give the "wrong" answer for country.

CC certainly makes it easy to correct the error for each person individually, but I'm wondering if a re-wording of these questions might be in order? Perhaps something like: 1. Country Served 2. Military Branch

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 1:06 PM - Response #9

I fixed it for sure this time, check it out.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM - Response #10

I don't see any way anyone could get that mixed up!! Thank you Brad!!!!! Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.