ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Geoencoding and Who's Online

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/20/10 10:41 PM Views: 1492 Replies: 9
Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I am pretty interested in the 2 subject enhancements that are planned, particularly the geoencoding mapping function. My curious classmates see me living on a bare spot with no roads to the top of a mountain Razz The location is about 5 miles off my actual location. Do you have a general expectation when that enhancement will be active?

Also, I understand the Who's Online will be corrected to look as frequently as our new IM, and present a more accurate picture of who really is online. Is that expected in the near future?

Sorry, just a little anxious for those 2 items.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:26 PM - Response #1

What? You don't like living in a bare spot with no roads on top of a mountain? I dunno about you Derrell, but that doesn't sound all bad to me. Smile

Map plotting: We're changing to geoencoding as you mentioned. although we're setting it up to plot all people in a particular in the city center, with all Classmates being listed under 1 bubble. It's better this way. First no Classmates get buried behind other Classmates. And second we can't plot people right on top of their house. If we did that we'd have privacy issues comin' out our ears. So we have to give an indicated of what city somebody is in, but that's it -- we're not going to make it any more specific than that. We have a script running now that will replot 750,000 people over the next several weeks.

Who's Online box: Al, programmer who made the new Instant Messaging system, will be remaking the home page Who's Online right module as you mentioned. We should probably hit this sooner than later considering the new system is extremely accurate and the old isn't, thus making them a bad mix if they're both active. I'll see if we can get that in there pretty soon.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM - Response #2

Thanks Brad,

Hadn't thought of the privacy thing. I was relating to my own separate Weather Station site, which lets me map to latitude and longitude to the seconds of degree. However, no privacy issue, as it is specifically myself that sets that up. And, yes Google maps will zoom right in to the roof of my house! No problem, what you describe is understandably best.

I'll be looking forward to driving from my house location instead of by "back pack"! I am located apparently on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a long drop into the river.......FOFL (I really am in the mountains, but a bit more accessible, and it is quiet and I love it!!!!!

Edited 05/21/10 10:11 AM
Friday, May 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM - Response #3

Classmates and I notice that the IM box is showing people who have been off the site for quite a while, as being still there. Are we the only ones having that difficulty?

I don't think the IM indicator (who's online) was accurate when we had 8 of us in chat last night either. Thought you were still tinkering so I didn't say anything....

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM - Response #4

The home page "Who's Online" box will definitely not be accurate to the second. It only loads once and never refreshes. I'd disable that for now until we redo it to be consistent with the IM Members Online feature. That one is accurate to the second. It "listens" for activity and the moment somebody is no longer on the site, their name goes away. Curious though, if you think somebody's name is appearing there but you say they're no longer online, how do you know exactly? Are you sure they're not online?

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM - Response #5

This "not online" issue has been mentioned by several. I instant message, and I don't get a message back or someone tells me, "no, I was only on for 5 minutes". (lol...maybe they just don't want to talk?)

Ok, assuming they aren't telling tall tales....I'm wondering if people who use tabbed browsing might just think they are off, because they no longer have the site in front of them? lol....

You know we're a buncha oldies Brad....we're still looking for the "return" bar next to the paper rollar!

..Now where's my ink eraser? I spelled that wrong...darn it!! I'm going to have to fix the carbons too! Laughing

Oh!...but what about chat? Why weren't people showing up in the IM box when we are all online? Does it eventually drop people who have been on the site for a while?

Edited 05/21/10 3:50 PM
Friday, May 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM - Response #6

The user count in Live Chat and the user count for the IM and not connected. A user could potentially open up a Live Chat, be interacting with others, and navigate away from the site in their main browser window, thus leaving them included in the Live Chat count and not the IM count.

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM - Response #7

If you are not sure about who is online, just refresh page.
Classmate Jim

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM - Response #8

No need to refresh page, the IM updates every second even if you're just sitting on the page doing nothing. As Scott was saying though, IM is built into the web site itself -- every page. But Live Chat launches in a completely new window separate from the web site. The Live Chat has a user total listed so you can see how many people are chatting. If you're in the Live Chat and then in your other window you close the web site itself or just navigate to a different web site, you're no longer going to be logged into the IM. You're only going to be left in Live Chat and technically no longer on the web site. Thus you will then be reflected in the Live Chat count, but you will no longer be reflected in the Members Online count on the web site itself. Hope that makes sense. This is how it's possible you can have 8 people currently in Live Chat but only 6 showing up on your Members Online panel. All that means is 2 of the people who are still in the live chat have closed down or left the web site itself completely. If they do that they are no longer able to get IMs and thus we cannot list them. They can keep chatting in the Live Chat all they want though.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM - Response #9

Brad Switzer wrote:

What? You don't like living in a bare spot with no roads on top of a mountain? I dunno about you Derrell, but that doesn't sound all bad to me. Smile

Map plotting: We're changing to geoencoding as you mentioned. although we're setting it up to plot all people in a particular in the city center, with all Classmates being listed under 1 bubble. It's better this way. First no Classmates get buried behind other Classmates. And second we can't plot people right on top of their house. If we did that we'd have privacy issues comin' out our ears. So we have to give an indicated of what city somebody is in, but that's it -- we're not going to make it any more specific than that. We have a script running now that will replot 750,000 people over the next several weeks.

Who's Online box: Al, programmer who made the new Instant Messaging system, will be remaking the home page Who's Online right module as you mentioned. We should probably hit this sooner than later considering the new system is extremely accurate and the old isn't, thus making them a bad mix if they're both active. I'll see if we can get that in there pretty soon.

Hey! I just remembered to look again at the new mapping. I moved! I am no longer on bare spot on top of a mountain Brad; I'm in the middle of a Golf Course........LOL

I think this is a very nice improvement for the class sites. Much easier to see where generally classmates are located.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.