ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Announcement Placement

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/20/08 01:26 AM Views: 1855 Replies: 15
Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Brad,

I know, I'm being high maintenance and greedy...... Razz........but....

I'd REALLY like to have the option to have:
1 announcement on the top of the page
a choice of placement of announcements
(i.e. I would like my COUNTDOWN clock to be on the very bottom of the page, the announcements before that)

Is it possible to do it?
(answer: of course!)
Will you give it to me? (Please?)
(answer: )

Thanks for this fabulous website!

Irma Cool

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 2:24 AM - Response #1

Currently Announcements can go at the top, or at the bottom of the page. And that's it. Reason being, we have no idea what else you're gonig to put on your page. If you want Announcements between your own content somewhere, we'd have no idea where that is, unless we allowed you to put in something like which would then put the board right where you want it. I wonder if that's getting overly difficult though. One thing we have to keep in mind is 30 or so schools a day are seeing all of this stuff for the first time, so maintaining high usability standards is important.

You do have a couple of other options though:

1) Why not put your Reunion Clock right in your Announcement Board?

2) You can also deactivate your Announcement Board and just type Announcements on your page wherever you want. In a few minutes you can probably reproduce exactly what you've got (just copy and paste it) into a table of your own, and put it wherever you want. Voila, now you've got Announcements displaying exactly where you want them.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 1:10 PM - Response #2

But doesn't the member have a link where they can post an announcement? Then you'd want to make sure it was activated to be shown at the top or bottom. Right?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM - Response #3

Member Announcements don't go live until you approve them anyway. So if a Member posts an announcement, you would just copy their Announcement into your own custom created announcement board. The only feature you'd really be losing by doing this is Announcement Expirations. You'd just have to delete Announcements yourself when they are no longer pertinent.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 1:20 PM - Response #4

By the way, you can leave your Announcent Board activated so people can continue submitting announcements. Just don't actually put anything in there. If there are no active announcments in there, then the system will skip showing the whole board. Thus allowing you to use your custom made board.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 at 1:32 PM - Response #5

Thank you Thank you! I haven't had a member do so, so wasn't for sure what would happen.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 2:35 AM - Response #6

Thanks Brad!

I'm going to try it next time I "mess around" with the web (and the website). Then I'll come back and report on how it went.
Don't like my count-down clock much anyway, so have to change that one too. Just need one that shows the YEARS as well as the rest. Not that many FREE ones (that I saw) that have the year on it too.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

ciao
Irma

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM - Response #7

Would it be possible to have a feature that emails classmates when the website is updated? Maybe a radio button the admin can click once the page is set correctly that will email the class?

Alternatively, could a button be placed in the classmate profile area that gives the classmate the option to be emailed when the site is updated?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM - Response #8

Depends on what specifically would constitute a site update. What if somebody just fixed a typo? Or added something really insignificant? There's really no way we can auto detect just how important/significant the update is. If the act of just updating the site alone caused a bunch of emails to go out, I'd suspect you'd wind up with some unhappy Classmates when the update wasn't too relevant. You could always just "Email The Class" whenever an update was important enough to let everyone know, but you already know that of course. Your thoughts?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 11:08 PM - Response #9

Yep, what constitutes an update is the formative question, which is why I suggested a button to click once the update is ok'd. You're right, people won't want update after update, but one that is controlled. I frequently had to edit a page many times for formatting errors, typos etc. I wouldn't want an email to go out for that.

YOu're right, I think email the class is the best.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 11:39 PM - Response #10

Ah, you certainly did say a controlled button. Had I had some maple syrup here I probably would have read your question more carefully. In any case, Email The Class is probably better anyway, because rather just just a generic update notice leaving Classmates to guess as to what to look for, that way you can tell people right off the bat exactly what's been updated, and thus probably get a better response to your update anyway. Or so it seems to this non maple syrup receivin' guy, anyway.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 1:09 AM - Response #11

Since maple syrup is so thick and gooey, it would probably cloud your mind, not clear it! HAHAHAHAH!!!!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 1:31 AM - Response #12

Well I sure wish we could put that theory to the test! But, it seems we can't!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM - Response #13

PPPffffffffft! Wink

ETA: I do admit I ate the chocolate bars!!

-------------> Cathy is running and ducking

Edited 12/03/08 2:46 PM
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM - Response #14

Why not just put your countdown clock as your very last announcement? I did something similar on mine, and put the number on that announcement at 99 (cuz I am pretty sure that I won't have that many announcements).

Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 11:48 AM - Response #15

I didn't like the announcement format, either, so I was planning on doing as Brad suggested and just putting anything we needed to announce in the body of the page. Thanks for suggesting deactivating the announcement option- I'm going to do that so no one messes up my page format. Haha!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.