ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

MultiYear site & History/Videos

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/27/09 10:09 AM Views: 1287 Replies: 6
Friday, February 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Is there an easy way to add the "History/Videos" tab for multiple class years? I only see a box to pick which year to display. I would like to show that tab for both years. Thanks!

Friday, February 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM - Response #1

Welcome Heather.

Let me explain how this works: On multi year sites like yours, the History/Videos link will automatically take the user into history/videos for their own graduating year. Then any other years that are included on your site appear as a dropdown list at the top of the History/Videos page, in case the user wants to watch videos from surrounding years.

We can't put two different history video links on the navigation. In your case it wouldn't be so bad with only 2 years, but in some cases there are 50 years worth of Classmates. Thus the only good way to organize this is to default the user to their own graduating year, and then let them move about within the History/Video area at their leisue after that.

Friday, February 27, 2009 at 12:45 PM - Response #2

And limiting the dropdown list to just the years that history/videos are available (1958-2008 ) instead of what years the multi-site covers (ours is 1907-2009) is still on your honey-do's list? I would guess that even multi-schools with only '70's classes would be curious about all those other years, too. Are they now limited to just the years they show?

And having the menu say "1958 History/Videos" for registered classmates early than that, right now not getting anything? ETA?

Sorry, I woke up with my nagging button turned on this morning, I guess.

Edited 02/27/09 2:32 PM
Friday, February 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM - Response #3

Thank you, I see now! I just switched the site to multi-year today & I guess I didn't look around enough. I thought I was just seeing the drop-down for the year because I was the admin....silly me! Thanks for the quick response!

Friday, February 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM - Response #4

Honey-Do List: No, it is not, because there are no videos in our system prior to 1958. That's why you see that year as the start date.

Yes, the History Videos only span the years that the site spans. I think primarily people are going to watch the videos from their own year of graduation, or surrounding years. The pages are set up to encompass the time people were in high school, and weren't really intended to go outside of that. It's clear to any viewers though that these are just YouTube videos. If somebody wants to see YouTube videos from a time period that is not included in their school's year span, they'll just have to do it the old fashioned way: www.youtube.com.

Good point about the people from 1957 having no videos link at all. This happened because Class Creator originally had no multi system. And since there are no videos for 1957 and before, we simply didn't show the videos link at all on those sites. But clearly, on multi sites there are videos after 1957, so viewers from 1957 and before should still be able to see the video span that is included in the multi site. Agreed! We'll make this adjustment, thanks so much.

Now turn off that nagging button, it's Friday. Smile

Mary Smith wrote:

And limiting the dropdown list to just the years that history/videos are available (1958-2008 ) instead of what years the multi-site covers (ours is 1907-2009) is still on your honey-do's list? I would guess that even multi-schools with only '70's classes would be curious about all those other years, too. Are they now limited to just the years they show?

And having the menu say "1958 History/Videos" for registered classmates early than that, right now not getting anything? ETA?

Sorry, I woke up with my nagging button turned on this morning, I guess.

Edited 02/27/09 5:50 PM
Friday, February 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM - Response #5

Just so I can let go and be able to sleep over the weekend, you did get the part where I said that our dropdown starts at 1907 for picking a history/video segment? If I still had my programmer's hat I'd know right where to get into that little sucker and set the lower limit of its query at 1958....

Edited 02/27/09 6:48 PM
Friday, February 27, 2009 at 6:50 PM - Response #6

We can not have you losing sleep over this! That would be bad. Yes, got it, no years prior to 1958 should ever be appearing in the dropdown regardless of the fact a multi site may encompass years prior to that date. Me comprehend Senioritta, consider it as good as done. Well, at least it will be when the programmer gets to it, anyway. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.