ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Separate group lists

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/16/13 06:06 PM Views: 1005 Replies: 6
Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 6:06 PM

You may have covered this topic before when some have talked about multiple class years on same sites. I am the admin for my HS class as well as two non-profit groups. Right now we sponsor home tours each week to raise money for a cleft palate program in Puerto Vallarta. MX. We gather emails of those who go on the tour and then send them a thank you email followup. We enter the names and upload them as a csv file. Is there a way I can enter them into a separate group each week so I don't have to manually go through and mark those from this week to get the letter? There are usally around 50 or so emails (we consolidate couples together if they just give us one email.) The size of the group is becoming unwieldy and is time consuming to select names manually.

Thanks!

Janie Albright Blank

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM - Response #1

So, if I understand you correctly, you upload new "Classmates" each week (to add them to your mailing list) and then you want to email only those that you uploaded this week.

There is normally nothing in the upload template that can be used as a filter, but since your non-profit group probably doesn't use the "Maiden Name" field, you could possibly use that field as follows.
When you upload the "classmates" for your non-profit group, use the MAIDEN NAME field for a field called "(Week 1)". This would be the same for each of the "classmates" you are uploading.
When you do the e-mails, you could still use these fields:
$first_name$ - inserts the first name of Classmate.
$last_name$ - inserts the last name of Classmate.
and the "(Week 1)" field wouldn't show up (I am pretty sure of this, but NOT TOTALLY SURE)
When doing the e-mails, just search for those classmates named "Week 1" and select them for the e-mail.
After you are done e-mailing, you could Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit the classmates, search for WEEK 1 as the name and then edit out the maiden name. Or if these "classmates" are to join the website sometime, they could then remove the WEEK 1 field when they sign up.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM - Response #2

On my high school website we have a separate group at the bottom for guest members. Is there a way I could upload them to guest, send them an email then delete them. Then reload them in the usual way? As we get hundreds of people who have gone on the tour trying to go through and find and click each one will be cumbersome and time-consuming. I can't remember how I set up the group list though. Can you refresh my memory?
Thanks!

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM - Response #3

There is no way to upload a guest. You must upload them as a classmate, then change their Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmate, DETAILS the "Show on Class List" to be "Show as a guest". There is no way to filter the Email the Class to only show guests.

That is why I said you could filter on the word WEEK 1 on the Email The Class because that would be the only way to filter in order to email only those with that filter turned on.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM - Response #4

Kyle, thanks for the suggestion. It actually works perfectly. We decided to use a date code in the "Married Name" column each week so we can then go back and identify when someone took our tour. We just search on our code and can send thank-you's to those people each week. Worked like a charm! Smile

Since the actual people who go on the tour arent really going to use the site like classmates would having a date code in parentheses after their nams makes no difference and we don't need to bother to delete.

Janie

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM - Response #5

Just wanted to say THANKS! THANKS Janie for sharing this issue, as it is sure to be of help to someone else. And, THANKS Kyle for the perfect solution! I so enjoy seeing these kinds of postings! AWESOME!!! ~ Marla Bryan

Thursday, January 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM - Response #6

Glad it worked. Before I thought about it for a minute, I was going to tell you that there was no solution to what you were trying to do, but then I thought about the married/maiden name field.

Actually, a Date Code is probably better than the words (Week 1) because the date code would always be unique to when they took your tour.

If you kept the date code in the field, you could also download the entire class list and sort by the Married Name column and get the list of those who went on the tour and the dates (if that information is ever useful)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.