ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Many notification messages

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/23/14 10:10 PM Views: 667 Replies: 12
Friday, May 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM

In the last couple of days I noticed that sometimes several times a day a message indicating a comment made or a profile changed is being sent out. This has only started happening in the last few days. While this may be a nice things for a single year website, it is "flooding" our multi-year site members with lots of messages about classmates they could not have known.
1 - it would have been nice if we as admins had been notified that this would happen so that we can send out information to our thousands of enrollees from about 60 years of classes. While some like this feature, I'm starting to get direct email messages from alums who are not happy about this.
2 - there should be an ability for admins of multi-year sites to modify the default Notify Me buttons so that a new member doesn't start getting all kinds of messages about classmates they don't know.

I just thought you'd like to know about this at least as it affects multi-year sites. Please take sites like ours into consideration when decisions like this are made (I know we're a small minority of sites, but please at least let us know at least)

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM - Response #1

I believe that this feature has been turned off for your Multi-Year website.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM - Response #2

Hi - thanks for your reply. Did this just get turned off today? If not, then whatever was done to turn it off didn't work. Since you turned this off, will any portion of the Notify Me feature work for anyone? What one person suggested is that it might be nice to be able to turn on this feature for the graduation year + 3 years and - 3 years because that's the range of years that an alum from year x could possibly have known others. …. just a thought … I'm sure this is a nice feature for single class sites. Thanks

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM - Response #3

It was restored to what it was before. If a classmate didn't set the Notify Me options, they won't be set for them automatically.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM - Response #4

I just had an email from a member who wants to get all mail stopped. I removed her email address. Then in order to look at her Notify Me page, I set a fake email address and password, then logged in. I see that almost everything is set to Never which is fine. So how is she continuing to receive all of the messages that she's receiving? Or was this feature just turned off this afternoon? (If that's the case, then she's probably responding to previous messages; if it was turned off days ago, then something still isn't working). Please let me know so I can tell what I'm dealing with when I get further emails from alumni. Thanks

Saturday, May 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM - Response #5

Only a few hours ago, earlier today. The emails that were in the queue were sent, but no new emails should be generated.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM - Response #6

Hi Kyle,
I'm getting the same complaints from alumni on my multi-year site - suddenly a flurry of emails to poeople who checked Never on their notification settings. I believe they're getting notices of What's New postings to the Class Connection pages or ?? I have my preferences set to never send notification of page updates, so not sure whaer these emails are coming from.

Thanks for helping us keep our subscribers happy!
Sharon

Monday, May 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM - Response #7

I'm getting the same feedback from classmates, including my own notifications. Never got them before yesterday but am getting them now. Changed my setting again to "never" on our Forum. Don't know what changed.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM - Response #8

Hi Sharon,

Your settings were restored possibly during the update for multi-years. If you get any additional notices beyond today let me know. Your settings should be back to before the update.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM - Response #9

Hi Gary,

I just updated your settings so there may be some in the queue but there shouldn't be any past today. If you receive any more tomorrow let me know.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Jessica,
I'm more concerned about other alumni getting multiple notifications that they don't want. Do they need to reset their notification preferences?
Sharon

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM - Response #11

Hi Sharon,

They should not have to make changes. If they were signed up before they are still signed up and if they had not responded in the past they have been set to the default of never. They can turn them back on if they wish under their own Notify Me settings, however, they won't need to do anything to turn them off.

Jessica

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 at 4:19 PM - Response #12

Thanks! You guys are awesome as always!
Sharon

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.