ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Suggestion!

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/31/10 07:42 PM Views: 1341 Replies: 7
Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Perhaps this is already on the "To Do: list, but after spending WAAAAAY too many hours moving back and forth between editing pages and viewing the actual site, I wonder if it might be possible to include a Preview button on the editting page?

Going live this evening...cross your fingers for me!

Kelly

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 8:20 PM - Response #1

Great suggestion.....Brad - we know all we have to do is ask.........

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 8:25 PM - Response #2

And send baked goods to the programmers. Smile

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 8:51 PM - Response #3

If baked goods will get that suggestion on your platter - yes indeedy - we'll send 'em.

By the way Brad. I have another issue that I need help with. I sent a note to you via email about an hour ago. - I tried to add a new message to the Home Page of my www.wachoviaoldgang.com website - hit Save - and the message didn't attach to the HOme Page. I can still see it in 'edit mode' - but it won't upload to the HOme page. I update HOme pages ALL the time - and this is only the 2nd time something like this has occurred.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM - Response #4

Make sure you don't have a "display: none" before your verbiage.

Now that I have ya on the line here, just an FYI, one thing you shouldn't do is write in for support and then ask the exact same question in the Help Forums. People do that a lot actually. Kyle, Jessica, Rhonda and I all do support, so at a minimum one of us is going to get your same question twice, but at a maximum two different people are going to answer your question. You can ask questions over the phone, on our Live Chat service, through our site's Contact Form, and here in these Help forums. I can assure you that no matter which of those 4 ways you contact us, your question will get answered.

All right that concludes my lecture for the day. Smile

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM - Response #5

gotcha...I'll be sure not to dup going forward. I have heard from Kyle as well. I was able to correct the veribage in the Source button (but am curious as heck why that occurs from time to time. Of the hundreds of times I've added content to 1 of my 4 sites, I've only encountered the problem twice.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM - Response #6

What browser/operating system are you using? Do you remember using some text editor/word processing program to enter the text and then copy it to the website? Did you drag/drop the text from somewhere?

The next time it happens, see if you can give exact steps to reproduce the problem.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM - Response #7

You wrote:
Perhaps this is already on the "To Do: list, but after spending WAAAAAY too many hours moving back and forth between editing pages and viewing the actual site, I wonder if it might be possible to include a Preview button on the editing page?
---------------

If I understand what you want to do with editing and viewing, it's easy enough, although it involves saving the pages, not just previewing them. If you have two monitors or a nice wide monitor it's better, but even a single old monitor will work well.

Open up two browsers, and log in the your website on both. On one, do the editing. On the 2nd, go to the page you want to view. If you've got a wide-screen monitor, you can adjust the size of each browser so you can fit the two side-by-side.

After editing and hitting the "Save Changes" button on your editing browser, click on to your 2nd browser (the viewing browser) and click on the refresh button (or Ctrl-R on Firefox, or F4 on IE). This will show your new changes. Go back to your 1st browser, and press the Back button... and you'll be back into editing that page. Yes, this works -- you'll be in editing mode right where you left off.

Or, you can use two tabs on the same browser window -- works the same way.

For getting exact placement of content on a page, being able to switch quickly like this between editing and viewing makes it all possible without too much frustration. As we know, WYSIWYG on an editor is not truly accurate.

If I'm doing some experiments on making large changes to pages, I may do it in the wee hours, to decrease the likelihood of other classmates being on-line at that time.

Hope this is helpful.
-- Fred

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.