ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New Classmate Notification

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/02/09 01:49 PM Views: 1439 Replies: 5
Monday, November 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Hi..Someone joined the site and for the first time, I didn't receive a "New Classmate" Notification.. Wondering why?? Thanks, Bonita

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM - Response #1

A new Classmate cannot join within that notification going out. Why you didn't receive it, your guess is as good as mine. Possible reasons include:

1) It went to your spam or junk email folder
2) It was flagged at your Internet Provider as spam or junk email and never made it to you in the first place.
3) You inadvertently deleted it (unlikely I know, but possible)
4) Somebody else who uses the same computer or shares an email acount deleted it
5) It was queued at your provider for whatever reason and will still show up at some point.

It's really just hard to say. I could come up with another dozen reasons why an email might not be received. Should this become I trend I'd encourage you to open a free gmail account and add it as one of your Alternate Email Addresses. This way you can check your alt box when you think a notice should have been sent to your primary box and see if the notice to your Google box arrived. If it did then you'll have confirmation that the notices are in fact going out. I like to use gmail as a test case because their deliverability has been flawless in all of our tests.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:47 PM - Response #2

Brad, I eliminated all of those possiblities. Thing is, this particular classmate called me and told me he FINALLY got a PC and was on the site and going to join. He did so shortly after. I went to his profile page once I saw that he had joined. So, was that a way of verifying him and so didn't get a notice? Yet, my co admin DID get the notification.

As usual, you give me way more time and explanation that I probably deserve! NOt that important, was just curious, cuz I love those "NEW Classmate Notifications", whether I know or not!!!!! We are at 95...5 to go!!!

You're amazing and I always picture you like this when you hear from me...Rolling Eyes PS. I still want to send you a virtual gift, but I have yet to figure it out. Imagine that.Exclamation Thank you very much for your response. Bonita

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 11:05 PM - Response #3

We'll gladly accept all virtual gifts sent. Smile

There is no way for a Clasmate to join and the email NOT to be sent. The process is one and the same. So, the question is why didn't you get it. I could list a buch of other possibilities, but I think you get the idea, I have no clue. It's possible something changed at your Internet provider level and this could happen again (just one possibilty). For good measure it might be a good idea to add a gmail alternate email address. Then if you don't receive the next notice at your primary email address you can check gmail to ensure it really did get sent out, which you'll find it did. This can be helpful if you end up having to call your email provider. I.E you can explain that the exact same email was sent to you at your regular box, and the exact same email was also sent to gmail. And only gmail received it. You can forward a copy of the email successfully received at gmail to your main email provider. And then ask them to explain why gmail accepted the email and why they didn't. When you give them evidence like this they'll have to explain what happened. In the past I've seen it be things as simple as an email provider decided to block ALL emails from postmaster@anydomainname.com. More often than not your own email provider can determine why the email was not received.

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM - Response #4

Brad,

I know this has been raised before, but not for sometime.

Are we any closer to allowing all Classmates to receive notification when someone registers for the site? Profile updates can be notified but not new registrations, and it would be a good incentive for some of the less active members to Log On when they see a name they recognise or had been hoping would appear one day.

Friday, November 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM - Response #5

This is slated for a new Member Preferences page. It's a ways down the list currently but coming.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.