ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Yearbook photos

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/02/11 04:08 PM Views: 2009 Replies: 12
Friday, September 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I scanned all the pages containing the senior photos but they are so small! Classmates are complaining because they can't really see the pictures very well, nor read the names. HELP!

Friday, September 2, 2011 at 4:47 PM - Response #1

When I scanned mine, I actually cropped each picture individually, and saved it a bit larger. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt (we had 535 in our class), but it works.

Friday, September 2, 2011 at 6:15 PM - Response #2

When I cropped my pictures, using the snipping tool, I was unable to save them in a larger format; I wasn't given that option. Can you tell me how to do that? Thanks for your help.

Friday, September 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM - Response #3

The best photo editor I've found is IrfanView. It provides all the editing capabilities I've ever needed and IT'S FREE!!

Just go to www.irfanview.com and download it.

You can crop, resize, combine photos to form a panarama, add text, and on and on....Cool

Also, a hint when scanning. I alway use 300 dpi for high quality resolution. Then when I crop the small pictues they will be nice and sharp. I usually crop and set the size to 500 pixels wide before uploading to the website. Class Creator atomaticly adjusts the size further, but it come out nice and clear.

Edited 09/02/11 11:01 PM
Friday, September 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM - Response #4

I first scanned all of our senior yearbook pages that contained the classmate pictures and then saved each page to a disc.

After cropping and saving each individual classmate's picture, with first and last name below each person, I saved each classmates picture seperately, without worrying about scale.

When it came time to upload senior pictures, I let Class Creator software take over the scaling because it states, in print, that each picture will be automatically scaled to meet their requirements in order to be displayed in the upper right hand corner of the classmate's profile page. It worked perfectly.

If picture editing software is needed (for cropping and other needs), gimp, photoshop & Corol Paintshop Photo Pro and excellent, in addition to those mentioned by others here.

Edited 09/02/11 11:31 PM
Friday, September 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM - Response #5

Kevin Levin wrote:

When I scanned mine, I actually cropped each picture individually, and saved it a bit larger. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt (we had 535 in our class), but it works.

When we started several classmates volunteered to scan their individual year. [Three classes with over 700 total] The pictures I scanned were acceptable, however, their pictures were all too small so I ended up doing all of the scanning (and it was time consuming and a pain in the butt). I attempted to keep it simple and used "PAINT" (comes with Windows) to do my cutting and pasting of each classmate. I used a simple multi-function printer (Brother MFC-210C) to do the scanning. I did scan each page individually then did the cutting & pasting. No special software to do the scanning, just used the S/W that came with the printer. The print under the pictures was readable.

Friday, September 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM - Response #6

I scanned all my B/W images at 900ppi. If I needed a larger image, it was easy to do.
Jim Zeman

Saturday, September 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM - Response #7

As Frank said, you should scan at a higher resolution (at least 300 DPI), and then crop the photo and save the individual photo. Even though the screen resolution is only 72 DPI, you need the high resolution in order to have a larger photo.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 at 10:36 AM - Response #8
sample.jpg

It appears that you are displaying your pages as a
"FLASH video". I created an Album and posted each page in the Album. This allows the viewer to right click on the individual page and "view photo" which will then be viewed at the max size. I also cropped to each individual and posted the cropped photo in the persons profile page. Scanning at a higher resolution is correct, but would not make any difference in a "FLASH VIDEO" format. I was able to stop your flash video and "right click" on an area and "zoom in" and the attachment example is the result. This may suffice for your people.

Edited 09/03/11 10:45 AM
Monday, October 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM - Response #9

Regarding capturing photos from the yearbook, I had great success using Picasa software by Google (free). I came across it by accident. I scanned my yearbook and opened the scanned page with Picasa Editor. To my surprise it has facial recognition builtin. It actually created or auto-cropped the individual photos.

I just exported these individual photos to a separate folder and then uploaded/matched to the classmates list. Now that was the hard part...matching the photos to the names.

Here's the link: http://picasa.google.com/

Saturday, February 18, 2012 at 8:51 AM - Response #10

Russell - I have the pages of 10 photos per page. I see that I can identify people on each photo.
But how did you export the individual photos?
I can see where that would be a huge assistance - but I can't see how you did it!
Thanks!
Pat

Monday, February 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM - Response #11

Pat,
Sorry for my delayed reply. I had to look back myself to see if I could remember how.

Select the "People" folder/dropdown on the left. You should see all of the "faces" of your scanned pages. Select the faces one at a time (hold shift or Ctrl while selecting) or just use Ctrl A to select all.

Down at the bottom of the screen is a export icon. Use that to export the photos to a separate folder.

You can also use this to select the faces out of a group folder. Picasa has a collage feature that will build some fun collages of these photos.

Have fun playing with this...you can waste a lot of time with it. Smile

Russell

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 9:11 AM - Response #12

Russell,

Thanks so much - it does look like fun!

Regards,
Pat

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.