ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

multple year classes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/02/09 09:46 AM Views: 2860 Replies: 16
Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM

We set up our website as a single year group when we are actually 2 years. Saw where to change to multiple years BUT it said once i change I can't go back--what does the multiple year look like? how would the 2 different classes be listed--all together merged alphabetically or will there be two different years listed? Anyone have a multiple year site he/she would be comfortable letting me look at?

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM - Response #1

Click on my Classes & Classmates link to see the separation of classes.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM - Response #2

I have 8 class years on mine --LOL
use agentsg@mchsi.com and password 123456 to log in as a guest

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM - Response #3

GREAT SITE--THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
KAREN LEE

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 12:01 PM - Response #4

GREAT SITE TOO!! (I FEEL LIKE SUCH AN UNDERACHIEVER!!)

THANKS

KAREN LEE

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM - Response #5

Here is another multi-year site if your interested. Wink

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM - Response #6

Hi
Feel free to look at mine..I had 2 years going and just added 2 on this weekend.

Trust me - it's much more organized now - and - I'm planning on clustering our tables at the reunion so that the alumni can sit at their alumni table. It's so much easier now to see the distribution AND it totally organizes it for the classmates on the site..since most of them want distinction by year.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM - Response #7

is it very hard..do you know..to go from single year to multi year? We have the 2 years entered with an asterisk by one year's names.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM - Response #8

Not hard..but somewhat time consuming depending on the number of classmates you need to move
First I went to Edit School/Logos link and added my new years.

Then - all of my names had been entered at "guests". I had to add the year to their manage classmates details pafe and click on the Show on Class List button.

Maybe someone out there knows a quicker way - but it worked for me...tedious..but well worth it.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM - Response #9

After converting to a multi year site the quickest way to add your Classmates is to use the Excel batch import sheet.

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 9:23 PM - Response #10

Hi guys
Did I miss something?
My Classmate Profiles page on our multi-year site has reverted to showing by class year, rather than by the complete list of names.
Thanks
Don

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 10:15 PM - Response #11

Did you possily just add a bunch of new Classmates to the system? If I recall you're trying to display thousands of names on one page, which ends of very bad for system performance, thus I suspect you most likely added more Classmates and went over the threshold again.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 8:03 AM - Response #12

Hi Brad

We started out with a large list made up from all of our yearbooks.
We haven't added many new names to the list at all; just the occasional person who finds us and asks to be added. Probably no more than 10 new names in the last six months. We'd love to go back to the full list view if its possible.

On another note, have you any recomendations for pda's that'll work well with our site? I'm using a blackberry 8700 right now, and its a real pita for reviewing profiles while I'm on the go.

Best regards,
Don

Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at 12:52 PM - Response #13

Ok, I increased the max Classmates by another 75, from 4500 to 4575. Shhhhhh, the programmers really don't like this super large queries. In fact we're already a thousand or so over where they wanted it, I actually set the limit in the past specifically based on your site. A single page querying thousands of names at a time, trying to load for the users, etc. really isn't good for usability.

I'm a big fan of the HTC Touch Pro 2. It's available from Sprint telesales (not in stores yet), Verizon, Tmobile, and AT&T (AT&T calls it the AT&T tilt, but it's the same phone). I could give a hundred reasons here why I love this phone, but leading the pack would be I can turn the phone into a wifi hot spot with a $29 app and dump the stupid expensive data cards or plugins. Cell phone companies have people fooled into believing they need to buy two separate Internet connections from them, one for the phone and one for the laptop. You can easily just get 1 and use it for both, all wirelessly. Oh, in case you do get this phone, definitely put on the SBC Mobile Shell instead of keeping the standard Touch Flo 3D interface. While Touch Flo looks cool, it's totally useless in my opinion. The SBP Mobile Shell will allow you to customize the phone on dozens of cools ways you can't do with anything else.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM - Response #14

Hi Brad

Thanks a lot for the review.
I'll have to go see if one of our Canuck carriers offers that phone... You guys have a lot more choices than we do here I'm afraid.

I checked our alumni numbers and they currently stand at 4439. So I'm unsure if numbers was what triggered the view change on our home page or not. Even after you increased our limit yesterday, today it still displays the same way. I can't see any place on my end to switch it back over. Maybe its something that we did, but I can't figure out what it could be.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Don

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM - Response #15

Touch Pro 2 Canada release.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 8:18 PM - Response #16

Thanks Brad!
I'll check that out with Telus tomorrow.
Cheers
Don

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.