ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

classmate changed their name upon joining

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/19/18 08:59 AM Views: 464 Replies: 2
Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:59 AM

This is a new one to me. Classmate joined website. He changed his name to another name, first and last too. It is another male name, just to be clear it wasn't a gender change. I have my setting to verify before I allow full access. So, with that said, I hope to be able to verify his information. I checked the profile to "not" show on class list for the time being. I mean, no one would know who the heck he is by this change. Has anyone else ever had this and how did you approach the situation? I am leery this is a legit person however, I did do an address check and it did show his classmate name as a resident there. Still, someone could just gather that information as well. If I do manage to contact him and he does want the "new" name how to I handle that on the site? Do I request any proof of a legal name change? You see I am dazed and confused on this one. Thanks for any input/tips on this one!

Edited 05/19/18 9:00 AM
Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 10:07 AM - Response #1

update: I further investigated via google, FB, etc. and I am pretty sure this was someone who "pretended" to be the classmate. This is so frustrating. I do have settings to verify before I grant full access but now I would like to suggest that no access be allowed until they are verified? Is this possible?

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 12:40 PM - Response #2

Hijacking a name to join is not common, but it does happen. It's a catch-22, since a list of names has to be available for someone to find their own and click on it to join. And as they join they do have the option to 'update' the name, add a nickname, etc. And even if they don't change the name, it's always a good idea to make sure a new join is who they say they are.

The good news is that with Admin Verify turned on, once they've finished joining, and until you verify them, they can't see anything more than they could before they joined. Profiles and locked pages are still not viewable, and they can't post anything. And if you're not able to verify who they are using the email address, phone number, etc, they entered (usually false if it's a hacker), a simple click in the admin verify process will restore that member to what it was to begin with - removing everything the hacker did.

Oh, and until you verify them, that name does not show up in the class profile list - or the missing list.

Edited 05/19/18 12:41 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.