ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Inappropriate ads

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/01/15 06:18 PM Views: 2360 Replies: 9
Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Ads-Only.jpg

Some of the ads on 'ads only' sites are misleading at best. Those which appear to be a site function like "You have Email Waiting" or "You have feedback - Click here" are confusing to members and potentially dangerous since they want the user to download and install something or register somewhere when clicked.

Examples attached.

Edited 11/01/15 6:23 PM
Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM - Response #1

Why does your PAID website have ads? Maybe you have malware on your computer.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM - Response #2

Luckily, I don't have ads on my site. I strongly doubt my classmates would appreciate these. And for the record, I run an MBAM scan every weekend and it was clean today.

These were brought to my attention yesterday, and as noted in my post, the screen snap was from an ads-only site. For those who don't mind a few ads to have a free site, it's a great choice. But when some of the ads are misleading or inappropriate or potentially dangerous, the ad choices need to change.

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM - Response #3

John - does the word at the bottom... the logo... say Chirpter? I need the publisher so I can ban the ad from appearing.

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 1:47 PM - Response #4
Mailchecker.jpg

Scott - the second one does say Chirpter at the bottom. I can see that in the screen snap.

The first one telling you that you have mail waiting does not have a 'logo' at the bottom of the ad, but clicking on it goes to www.getmailchecker.com (screen snap of resulting request to download and install attached). The bottom of that screen says Copyright2015Mailchecker.

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 2:54 PM - Response #5

WOW

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 3:05 PM - Response #6

Thanks John. We are able to turn off specific ad sources in our admin.

Monday, November 2, 2015 at 3:29 PM - Response #7

I blocked all ads coming from www.getmailchecker.com. Google is pretty good about not letting these types of things through but they're not perfect.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 12:21 AM - Response #8

Thanks for the quick response!
I'm sure there's always some 'trade-offs' to consider, and that some ads return more than others. But I'd push hard to eliminate anything that might appear to duplicate a normal site function - as these two did.

We try to educate our members about the things to watch for in incoming emails and when web surfing, and I'd be instantly suspicious of anything I'm not familiar with that wants me to download and install something.
Slightly lower on the list would be ads which ask me to register. I have several 'throwaway' email addresses I use when some web site insists on an email address before they let me get to what I wanted to see, and while I seldom check them, they tend to be full of spam.

Ads-Only sites are a great way for someone to get started - and upgrade later to a subscription when activity grows or a reunion gets closer. But to attract and keep your members, the ads need to be appropriate and safe. I hope you have a contact at Google who will understand that.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM - Response #9

We have a contact at Google yes. I already know what he will say if I call about this: "Block the ad." Which of course I've already done. Google screening is pretty good usually. Some of these odd things get through unfortunately. Over time we've blocked about 30 ads or so. So while it is an issue and I agree with you completely, it's a relatively small issue in the grand scheme of # of ads displaying. If anybody reports anything like this in the future we will block the ad immediately as we've always done.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.