ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New way to search classmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/08/14 02:59 PM Views: 997 Replies: 5
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

This has been my obsession the past few years and I discovered an additional method to finding classmates especially those who have moved out of town. Finally my 44 Year Real Estate Career has paid off! I will try to keep this brief but if anyone misunderstands please don't hesitate to contact me!

I found two sources that help me. The library here offers "Life Records" of Births, Deaths and Marriages going back to 1960. I also found Zabasearch (also sometimes has addresses) the best for getting a general idea on location. Example; Robert Cullen 100+ then filter the search to age (60-69) 22 show. Middle names or initials help.

Now loaded with Name & Spouses name suppose you find someone in Florida say in Naples. GOOGLE this question: "What County is Naples Fl in?" which is Collier County. Now Google "Collier County Clerks Office" Many of these are .gov, .org and almost never .com sites. Most County websites have a search bar that allows you to search the site. Search for Deeds, Public Records, Mortgages, etc. You may have to register but you never have to pay for "Viewing" this data. Almost ALL of them have some sort of public search of records. When you find this, put in the last name of the classmate (or Address if you have) and you get all public records of that person. If too many come up add their first name. If that still produces too many search under the spouses name only. Go to the most recent (by Date) record and you can see if they just bought, sold or mortgaged their house. Most of these records (except a few) will give the address of the property. A caveat will be someone who "sold" the property in say 1999 and no further records. This means they moved outside of that county. DON"T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR OWN COUNTY!!

I know this is a little confusing but these are all Public records and available for anyone to view. You then can compare the record to see that "Both" classmate and Spouse are listed. Now you can be 90% certain it's the right person.

BEWARE: sometimes your search will get you kicked off the County site and some of the "Pay Sites" pop up like "PublicRecords.com". Don't use these as they are a waste of time and don't get you anything. Go back to the County web site of that city.

I hope this helps anyone looking for classmates. If you need more info please respond to this email so evrybody can benefit from the information. Good Luck.

Edited 12/08/14 3:02 PM
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM - Response #1

Thanks, Bob!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM - Response #2

A pay site that I have had good luck with is:
Publicdata.com

I use it as a last resort however, because I am 'cheap.'

Not all states will sell them their databases, so be sure to check it out ahead of time as to what they have available.

(In Texas, when a female registers to vote, she is supposed to list her maiden name. When we started our CC site, I located around 40 ladies who had remarried but had not updated with us)

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM - Response #3

Thanks Steve. I try to avoid paying for information that is public (and free).
I also use the "Advanced" Legacy search in our local obituary listings. I will search the last name of a classmate and in the "Keyword box" I will put the first name of the classmate. This gives me their parents names and the obit usually lists the children. That also shows their spouses name, married name, and their children's names.
It's all like a big puzzle but it helps to drill down the list.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 2:46 PM - Response #5

I also found this site for the state of Florida. It might help to clarify leads. https://www3.myfloridacounty.com/ori/index.do
Again, this is public record stuff!

Edited 12/11/14 2:47 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.