ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Where is Canada?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/11/08 01:34 PM Views: 1276 Replies: 10
Monday, August 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM

One of our classmates lives in Canada and doesn't appear on the map for Show Classmates on Map, she is feeling all neglected and sad about this... She can get Canadian beer for me real cheap so I want to try to make her happy Smile

Thanks for your help!
Hank
MHSN83.com

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM - Response #1

Rick can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was impossible (or at least difficult) to plot anybody outside of the US using Google Maps. It's one of the reasons that we made the map link optional. If there are too many Classmates living outside the US you may wish to turn off the map link. I'll drag Rick in here and see if he can shed some more light on this.

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM - Response #2

Our class reunion site in July 2010 is in Carcar,Cebu Philippines.
For now most of the attendees are in the United States so the map works. But if the no. of classmates (living in the Philippines )who can attend will equal or exceed those coming from North America, will that be enough to request you and Rick to consider to plug in a Philippine map and or map of Canada instead of turning the map off? Thanks!

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 3:06 PM - Response #3

Ok, Thanks Brad, so the issue is with Google Maps, not classcreator. Makes sense, thanks for the quick response!

Hank
MHSN83.com

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 3:36 PM - Response #4

The issue may be with Google maps. There may be other possibilities. As Rick Root set this up, the only one who can really speak knowledgably about this is him. I'll drag him in here as soon as he comes up for air.

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 8:47 PM - Response #5

How do we turn off the map feature?

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 9:03 PM - Response #6

How do we turn off the map feature?

Usually I'm more concerned with turning things on Laughing

Monday, August 11, 2008 at 9:05 PM - Response #7

As a general rule, if an object appears on your home page, you manipulate that object by clicking Edit Site Pages, and then clicking the Edit button next to your Home Page.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 12:59 AM - Response #8

Thanks Brad! I forgot about those boxes!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 1:32 PM - Response #9

our zip code database only includes latitude/longitude information for US zip codes, which is why we can't map Canadian classmates. it's probably something we could eventually do if we had a canadian zip code database. But for now, the mapping functionality is limited to classmates with US zip codes.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 3:12 PM - Response #10

Rick Root wrote:

our zip code database only includes latitude/longitude information for US zip codes, which is why we can't map Canadian classmates. it's probably something we could eventually do if we had a canadian zip code database. But for now, the mapping functionality is limited to classmates with US zip codes.

FYI for the future, they are called postal codes in Canada. I don't know if you get the zipcode database from USPS or not. If you do, you probably can get the Canadian postal code database from Canada Post.

Our postal code format is different than the US zipcode. Ours follow a letter/number method. A1B 2C3. Each province is identified by the first letter. For instance, postal codes starting with V are in BC, T Alberta, S Sask...etc.

I remember before postal codes were implemented in Canada, our address had a zone after it. We lived in Calgary 10.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.