ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Request for Class Creator Hosting for Yearbooks in flip PDF format

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 04/19/18 12:06 PM Views: 4894 Replies: 6
Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 12:06 PM

Having yearbooks on a site in standard multi page PDF format is not an exciting user experience. Where as having the animated page flip is so much more impressive and gets a lot of classmate kudos. I've been advised I cannot load the flip book file to class creator that i need to have a hosting site and place the files there and place a link to them on my Class creator website. The problem with this is I have to have yet another place for my Class information, another subscription to monitor and keep paid etc etc etc. and we only need a small amount of host space. (85 MG for a large yearbook) We are all getting older and I am trying to see that our class creator website of the 70 years of our school is able to continue should something ever happen to me. I have used class names for our wwww.burnabysouthrebels.com name registration (through you) so this is connected with class creator. Is there a way for Class Creator to make available the ability for us to store our flip PDF files on your server? Your Scott Mastenbrook has admin access to our site www.burnabysouthrebels.com if you would like to go in and view the yearbooks if have currently posted. If you would like me to send you the file(s) for a yearbook to review and try I will do so. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 2:22 PM - Response #1

Ron, I don't know if you are currently using YUMPU for your Flipbooks but we have found it to be the best solution. We have evaluated ISSUE, FlipSnack and Pubhtml5.com and found that YUMPU is the best and easist solution. It is also free for as many Flipbooks as one would like. I think we have about 15 Flipbooks loaded and more are coming. Users love it. If FlipSnack were free I would it but at $38 month I can live with the free YUMPU very easily. Since the Flipbooks are stored on the vendor's site very little CC vault space is used. A 200 page PDF takes about 30 seconds to format to a Flipbook on YUMPU. The HTML5 code is then generated, you paste it into your CC page and it's done.

Edited 04/19/18 2:41 PM
Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 4:38 PM - Response #2

Thanks Phil, Yumpu appears to be a good resourse that we were not aware of. Ron - The only good option that I can suggest to you is to host your files in a Dropbox or Google Drive and manipulate your embed code to point to the host server.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM - Response #3

I have Apple iCloud drive and asked apple about hosting there and they said not possible at this time. I can put the files up there but not link to them for others to run the flip books. Apple iCloud Drive is actually hosted on Google so Google may also not be an option. Has anyone used dropbox successfully to host a flip book and link from website? Like I stated my preference would be to have everything with one suppler e.g. classcreator so if I have to pass on the Admin duties with the responsibility to keep up payments they would not be dealing with multiple companies, renewal dates etc. I already have a host site that that I could use but I'm closing it down as it was my business site. It's also quite expensive just to use to host a number of flip books. I've seen companies selling school yearbooks so I'm also concerned that the yearbooks I put on a host is not used by the most company to sell to others. e.g. sell the yearbooks that I have put all the work into to Photograph, cleanup, convert to PDF and then convert to flip books.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 6:39 PM - Response #4

I had a look at YUMPU and from what I can see if I don't want advertising and I want private not open to the public I need to pay $19.95 US per month.

Like I stated previously I don't want venture into a monthly and preferably not annual hosting or software payment situation. I want to avoid any loss and confusion should I not be able to do things for a while or in the event of something happening to me and someone needs to take over. Even if they take over and do no further admin work at least with hosting and preferably on Classcreator server it would continue to operate and only one company to deal with.

What I'm striving for is the easiest possible transition/succession plan that would keep the site operating indefinitely. My multiyear site is for the 70 years the school was in existence. It's building into the history of the school. What I see as the easiest succession plan is;
1. Have nothing to do/pay etc and the site would continue as it exists and provided the last year covered by the site is a minimum of xx years in the past. e.g if the site was for school years to 2000 then in 1926 there would no longer be a charge and there would be no fear of the site going down for failure to pay a host etc.

or
2. A Second option would be to have the site continue as is but having to make a periodic (every 1, 5 or 10 years) payment to a single company. this could be prepaid for a lengthly period or covered by donations collected on the site and held as payment for the site services.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

Friday, April 20, 2018 at 12:31 AM - Response #5

There are a lot of "flip" sites. Here's one that is free with 30,000 opens a day. That's a LOT. Uses amazon aws for up to 100 GB storage. It's no ads and looks like only those with the link can find your files.

This one suits your specs:

http://anyflip.com/pricing/

Personally I think PDF file presented this way are extremely hard to read unless you go to full screen. And that's another hassle. Instead I opted to show PDF files directly on a page (with an option linked to a "flip" version).

The full page PDF is much much cleaner and easier to read. The compromise made for "exciting" imo is not worth it.

I showed on another post somewhere how to do that. Usually PDFs can be compressed a lot too. Some of mine shrunk 4X.

The advantage of storing in CC vs another site is that his is " easiest possible transition/succession" approach you desire. No need to get another account somewhere to track and manage. I'd forget the flip stuff and use the direct PDF display.

So now you have a single provider,plus the PDF is much easier to read and resize. Here's an example I made:

Here's the page showing a direct display of a PDF file. It's just a sample one I found.

Friday, April 20, 2018 at 4:03 AM - Response #6

Should anyone be looking for Flipbook type software here is a link to an evaluation of 10 of the most popular products:
Your text to link here...

At the end of the review the following chart lists user preferences of product: Your text to link here...

Edited 04/20/18 4:07 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.