ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Defaults

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/30/16 11:19 PM Views: 838 Replies: 9
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 11:19 PM

Is there a way to make the default when editing NOT to send to all classmates unless I decide to check the box? I usually am very careful but have been searching for all old obituaries to add to each In Memory entry. We have 24 and wouldn't you know I missed unchecking the default box on one from 1982 and it went out to everyone as if a new entry. ??

Thanks,
Janie

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 12:40 AM - Response #1

On the PREFERENCES page, search for this section CLASSMATE NOTIFICATIONS

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 3:11 AM - Response #2

Kyle, thanks so much! I guess I haven't looked at that page in years! Good to review it. I made a couple of others changes as well.

Janie

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 10:10 AM - Response #3

A lot of the issues around the notification process for In Memory additions could be averted by a simple change in wording. I frequently supplement information in individual In Memory profiles. The next day the members are always notified that a new person was added to the In Memory section, when that didn't happen. Like with other notifications, this one should say that there was a new person added to the In Memory Section or supplemental information was added to an In Memory profile.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 4:49 PM - Response #4

Mike, Have you changed the settings for notifications under Preferences? As Kyle noted above, it is Classmate Notifications. When you select this:
Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving

You can make as many changes and/or additions as needed without a notification going out to your members. You will see a check box with this: (note, I use the word "alumni" on my site)
   Notify 983 Alumni of this update (if you are using Email The Class to send a separate notification, do not check).

When YOU check the box, only then will a notification go out to your members. Note: When you choose the option in Preferences, it now works the same on all pages, including announcements. It is a great option I've used since it became available.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 4:59 PM - Response #5

Thanks for the response. I want the class to be notified that changes have been made to a classmate's In Memory profile, I don't want them to be notified that this is a "new member" added to the In Memory. And I don't want to have to change anything, the default on these should always be that the class isn't notified, not the other way around. All I need is to have Class Creator change the statement that goes out to reflect what goes out when any other information is added or updated to the website.

Friday, September 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM - Response #6

You can change the default for the checkbox by going to the Preferences page and look for : CLASSMATE NOTIFICATIONS... and select... Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving

Friday, September 2, 2016 at 10:52 PM - Response #7

Maybe I need to be a little more clear about what I am asking for. I want a change in the notification that goes out when one adds more information to an existing In Memory profile. I want the statement to say that the In Memory profile has been added to or supplemented. Right now it says a new member has been added to the In Memory. I don't want that. I DON'T WANT THAT. I want the same notification that is made when modifying other sections of the website. Sheez.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 5:56 PM - Response #8

Makes perfect sense. Note, we'll need to add some new variables to the system to make this possible, i.e., on the first notice it needs to go out as is, on 2nd and subsequent updates the wording needs to change to reflect the fact that it's an update, not the initial add. Very good suggestion here. Thanks Michael.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM - Response #9

Thanks Brad. That change would help a lot. I am constantly adding new material to the In Memory profiles, like a photo of a gravestone, or a newly discovered obituary, or family photos that someone sends me.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.