ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Multi years site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/05/09 02:09 PM Views: 1148 Replies: 2
Friday, June 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I posted this somewhere else and I think it got lost in the shuffle.
Is there a way for classmates to choose between all or view by year?
What I see is only the admin can turn this on, and it's one way or the other.
Another option would be for the list by year page to have a choice that says all.
Thanks Brad and all your elves.
Kathy
PAHS

Edited 06/05/09 2:11 PM
Friday, June 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM - Response #1

The multi system was originally intended for smaller schools -- schools often throwing all year reunions, where Classmates many years apart often knew each other very well. Within that structure, and based on the number of Classmates participating, the Admin can determine if it's best to display all Classmates on the same page, or break down the list by Class year.

Now here's the problem, and it's also the reason why we can't blanket offer the all option to Classmates on most of the multi sites. Many larger schools started also using the multi option, creating true alumni sites with the system. And the problem there is most of these schools have added many thousands of Classmates. The typical multi school is between 5,000 and 35,000 Classmates. That "all" option you're referring to in admin isn't even present for the vast majority of multi sites. The reason is technical. Just try loading 25,000 Classmates or so all on the same page. It's a huge query for the database, it's a massive drain on system resources, it's a gigantic load time for the end user, not to mention a usability barrier as Classmates have to scroll down 10 miles to see the entire list. Now throw in the little icons we use, and in addition to 25,000 Classmates we might also have to load 10,000 or so icons all on one page. Allowing this option at all, for 90% of our multi schools or so, would be a real disaster.

Just FYI, the cutoff limit in the system is 4,500. If you have more than 4,500 Classmates, the all option disappears completely due to the reasons above.

Edited 06/05/09 2:47 PM
Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 12:15 AM - Response #2

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Wasn't thinking of the effort involved. My school only has about a thousand names. Thanks for all the great work!

Edited 06/06/09 12:16 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.