ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Email Spam

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/13/18 07:41 PM Views: 462 Replies: 2
Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 7:41 PM

I don't know whether this was spam or not, but I received an email that appeared to come from our site and was advertising elder care. It came from elmertgeorge@elderville.org. I don't know who this is and what concerns me is that we've pushed our site with our classmates with the knowledge the site is secure and no one has access to them other than our classmates. Am I wrong? Have you heard of this? Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 11:50 AM - Response #1

My guess is that someone out there - probably one of your classmates - has malware installed on their computer. Many of the malware programs search for an address book or saved emails - and use what they find to 'spoof' the sender address, or create a spam email using parts of one of those saved emails they found.

I'll assume that you're running an anti-malware program and keep your PC up to date with security patches, but too many don't take the obvious precautions needed these days.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM - Response #2

My guess is that this was a contact form submission to your site. If the message included an IP address ( series of numbers formatted like this: 69.151.23.80) , then that was a contact form.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.