ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

photo width limitation?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/18/08 02:33 PM Views: 6352 Replies: 23
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 2:33 PM

Hi there, I am trying to upload/display a 3.2MB jpg of our class panoramic photo. Obviously, as with the nature of a panoramic photo, it causes the image to be quite wide. I am able to upload it, but then I get really strange behavior...sometimes it will display it as a large image that requires the viewer to scroll the window to see the entire image (the preferred behavior), other times you will return to the page and the image is missing (just the broken link box is displayed) and other times you go to the page and the image has been redisplayed so small that you really can't make out who the people are. Is there anyway I can either consistently obtain the preferred behavior (see above) or can make the small image a link that when clicked up it will display the full size image in another window?

Thanks for any assistance! Kami

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 10:59 PM - Response #1

Our system will resize all photos to the maximum allowable width so as not to blow out your site. I suspect the issues you're describing above happend because you either tried resizing that photo yourself with the handles before our system had a chance to resize it, or you possibly clicked on the back button to work with the image again, and our system had already resized it and saved it under a new name (thus you were basically working with a phantom image).

In any case, what you should do is upload a small version of that image. And then make it clickable to a large version that opens in a new window. I can help you with that, but first let's just get it to the server in a fashion that won't resize:

1) Go into edit mode for your page
2) Click the chain link icon
3) Click the Upload tab
4) Upload your image
5) Copy the path to your image and paste it back here in this forum.

Once I see your image is indeed up there on the server, then we'll hit step two, which will be linking a smaller image to then open your larger panoramic image in a new window.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 8:30 AM - Response #2

Hi Brad! Thank you very much for your assistance! I knew there had to be a way to do this! And I think you are right, I was editing the size of the image before the system renamed/resized it.

Here is the link:
/userfiles/File/GHS_Class89.jpg

Please let me know what you would like me to do next!

Thanks again, Kami

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM - Response #3

Ok great. I see your large panoramic image and it looks great. Next I want you to resize that image on your own local computer to a "preview" size of your choice. If you need an image resizing tool get a great free one at http://www.irfanview.com.

Go into edit mode for your page and upload this small preview image. I'm assuming you're going to make it smaller than our max allowable width, but for good measure after uploading go ahead and save your page. And then go back into edit mode by clicking the Edit button again (please don't press the back button on your browser).

Now, click on your image one time. And then click the chain link icon. Then copy and paste the link blow into your link area:

http://www.classcreator.com/userfiles/File/GHS_Class89.jpg

Go ahead and save your page again and test it out. Your small preview image now links to your large panoramic image. Let's get that working first, and then let me know if you want me to teach you how to open your link in a new window so you don't actually leave your site to see it.

Edited 11/19/08 11:09 AM
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM - Response #4

Done and it looks good - so far. Thanks!

Okay, so let's go for the separate window now. What do I do?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 12:09 PM - Response #5

Very good. Smile

By the way, change "below" to "above".

Ok, final step of opening the image in a new window: Go back into edit mode, and then click the Source button in the upper left corner. Look in your code and identify this string:

And after the call to the image add this to it:

target="_blank"

In other words that string should be replaced with this string:

That target="_blank" in there just tells the Classmate's browser to open the link in a new browser window. Simple as that. Smile

Edited 08/17/11 11:47 AM
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM - Response #6

Doh! Thanks for the correction on the image direction. Sometimes my fingers just have their own minds!

Awesome! Thank you very much for your help! I am still new to this but must say these tools are relatively easy and I am very excited for my classmates to see the picture.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 3:50 PM - Response #7

I was just coming to the forum to see how to do exactly this! Thanks Brad!

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM - Response #8

And that's exactly what these forums are for. Help one person = help more than one person. Smile

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 6:38 PM - Response #9

I have seen on other sites thumbnails that when you click on one, it will open in a designated space on the same page. So, each time you click on a different photo, it changes the image in the "larger" photo space on the page. Is that possible here. I have been searching for a code that does that... no luck so far. Do you have that info?

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM - Response #10

We have 3 photo gallery layouts launching in '09. Won't be too long now. That's what you're really looking for.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM - Response #11

Okay, thank you.

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 12:31 AM - Response #12

Here's a site that can produce a panoramic picture to place on your website.

I have several on the page 'Class Pictures' at:
http://www.classcreator.com/Brookfield-MO-1960/class_index.cfm.

It uses a quicktime file so I couldn't upload it on the Class Creator site but they will host the files for you.

Very inexpensive.

http://www.vmswebdesign.com

Click on Panorama for info.

Edited 02/20/09 12:50 AM
Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM - Response #13

Hi I followed these instruction and was able to upload my group class picture.

Is there any way to add a zoom button and scroll bar to the new brower window so the user can zoom and scroll through the picture?

Thanks,
Marion

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM - Response #14

Virtually all browsers will do that by default. I.E. if you upload an image that is taller or wider than the window, you can already scroll left and right, up and down, etc. In fact most browsers will size the image down so it fits on the screen, and then you can use the magnifying glass to blow the picture up to the regular size.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 8:02 PM - Response #15

Brad,
Is there another source that will work for Mac OS 10 ?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM - Response #16

What won't work in Mac OS10 exactly?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM - Response #17

Irfanview say software is for Windows.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:31 PM - Response #18

Sorry I'm unaware of anything free for Mac that's as good as Irfanview. Maybe try Adobe Photoshop LE. I believe it has a nominal fee.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM - Response #19

Thanks,
I'll continue my search. If I find anything I will pass it on. Classmate Jim

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM - Response #20

Will Magic Magnifyô v3.1 DEMO
work on class creator. Here is link to site:
http://www.sharesoftware24.com/free-downloads/linux/web-development/flash-tools/info/magic-magnify-41440.html Classmate Jim

Thursday, October 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM - Response #21

Sure, you can embed Flash objects on your site.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM - Response #22

Jim/Brad,

Here's a FREE program that has been available for Mac users for a little over a year now that you might find to be as good if not better than ifranview. <http://picasa.google.com/mac/thanks.html>

And if you don't mind paying $20 a program that I use all the time and really love it's simplicity is simply called "Downsize" Here's the free trial version: <http://downsize.en.softonic.com/mac>

Hope these help!

Edited 05/02/10 5:52 PM
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM - Response #23

Mac OS X comes with a program called Preview which allows viewing and resizing of images, color correction, and saving in different image formats including PDF.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.