ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Post Announcement link on a multi-year site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/07/14 12:36 PM Views: 746 Replies: 9
Monday, July 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Is it possible to deactivate/hide the Post Announcement link in our MEMBER FUNCTIONS menu? On our multi-year site we only use home page announcements for alumni association related announcements. We have 4900+ members and there is no way we can use this as if we were a single year class. Besides, we'd have a gigantic home page if we posted private and class announcements on the home page. It's also not relevant to everyone who visits since there are classmates spanning many years.

We had to create an explanation section for announcements because we are getting all kinds of requests for personal announcements, etc. See our HOW TO USE THIS SITE section:
http://www.sphsaa.org/class_custom.cfm?page_id=227811

The problem still exists because most alumni don't take the time to look up the instructions. They just push Post Announcement. Then we have to go through a process of explanation each time.

IT WOULD BE EASIER: if we could just turn this link off or hide it or have a pop-up explanation come up 1st when they click on it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Its one of the quirks we'd like to fix if possible.

Thanks,
Bruce

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM - Response #1

On a single year site at the bottom of the announcements page we have the following three options:

1. Allow Classmates to submit Announcements (all Classmate-submitted Announcements are added in an inactive state and must be activated by an Administrator)
2. Show the heading "ANNOUNCEMENTS" at the top of your Announcements board
3. Show bullet before each Announcement

I just don't select option 1. If you have the same setup that may solve your problem too.

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM - Response #2

F C Bock wrote:

On a single year site at the bottom of the announcements page we have the following three options:

1. Allow Classmates to submit Announcements (all Classmate-submitted Announcements are added in an inactive state and must be activated by an Administrator)

I just don't select option 1. If you have the same setup that may solve your problem too.

Yay! Thanks FC!. There are so many options in different places its easy to overlook something or forget about options. I clicked the #1 option off and assume that its inactive on classmate menus now. Problem solved! Thanks**

Edited 07/07/14 1:25 PM
Monday, July 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM - Response #3

Thanks, FC! Smile

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 6:03 PM - Response #4

FC & Gwen- I've been recently puzzled with this issue. I checked & I have always had OPTION 1 as "checked".
However, on 2 occasions announcements were posted by classmates & I, as admin, did not have the opportunity to activate them.
Fortunately, they were PG announcements. Rolling Eyes
Any idea how this happened?
Thanks, John

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 6:35 PM - Response #5

1. Allow Alumni to submit Announcements (all Alum-submitted Announcements are added in an inactive state and must be activated by an Administrator)

Above are the three options copied from my alumni site, John. I do NOT have a check in either. If you place a check in #1, you ALLOW your members to post announcements.

The key is NOT to check it. Smile

EDIT ADD: I erred as many of us do... I missed 'I, as admin, did not have the opportunity to activate them.' My apologies, John.

Reads that maybe this needs to be looked at. Looks like I am off to run a test on one of my sites... my penance for this error, eh?

Edited 07/07/14 6:43 PM
Monday, July 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM - Response #6

No problem, Gwen. Go & sin no more. Laughing
We really don't have an answer as to why the classmates posts went live without my activation.
I do want the alum's to post but I want the option to pre-read them and approve (activate) them for suitable/acceptable content. Confused

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM - Response #7

It worked for me, John.
1) I posted from my test member.
2) Logged back in as the admin.
3) Viewed the home page... the announcement is not on the home page.
4) The ability to approve it shows under the bounce back notification in the upper right.

Any questions? Cool

Monday, July 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM - Response #8

A thought, John.... do you have other admins on your site who have rights to approve announcements? If so, might that be how they are appearing? It is a thought...

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM - Response #9

I have 1 co-admin & I considered asking if he had approved the classmate posts but...he normally contacts me either before or after he takes any website actions.
I'll check with him and also do a post of my own as I, too, have a test member.
Many thanks for your replies, Gwen.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.