ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Nametags

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/26/13 01:17 PM Views: 3963 Replies: 6
Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Hi guys,
I don't understand the majority of icons you've set up to order nametags. What I'd like to do is have a nametag (pin-on in a plastic clear card) with a yrbk picture of the alumnus on the top right. Then, across the card in bold script on 2 lines I'd like "St. Angela Hall Academy" and "Class of 1963". Under that. the classmate's maiden name & with a married name (ie. Barbara Ecker Haddock) in bold 'comic sans'.; Oh, a whaite card with a Maroon border. Is that too much on the card? And how do I insert those script, bols, and comic sans writing.
Please advise.
Barbara

Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM - Response #1

Barbara,

You aren't really "Ordering" nametags. You are creating a printable file (PDF) that you will print on your computer/printer onto some labels. You need to choose which labels you are going to use in your printer.

Make all of your choices at the top, then at the bottom, use the GENERATE PDF NAMETAGS button. It will create the PDF file which you can look at to see if it is what you want. If not, try again until you get what you want.

ClassCreator doesn't have a "nametag" order and print shop. It is a do-it-yourself option.

These are the currently supported label formats:
Avery 74461 Avery Clip Name Badges 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 - 8 badges per sheet Buy from Amazon
Avery 45395 (also listed as 5395 without the 4) Eco Friendly Adhesive Name Badges 2 1/3 x 3 3/8 - 8 badges per sheet Buy from Amazon
Avery 74652 Pin Style Name Badges 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 - 4 badges per sheet Buy from Amazon
Avery 74651 Clip Style Name Badges 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 - 4 badges per sheet

Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM - Response #2

To add to Kyle's info, I purchased our name badges at my local Staples. (I'm a hands on person.) If you go to Staples, Office Depot or Office Max, be sure to print and take a copy of Kyle's message above, Barbara. You will need to buy one of the sizes he shared above.

By the way, I purchased one extra package. The idea was to have one on hand but not open that package unless it is needed. My extra was returned. Smile

Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM - Response #3

May I suggest a little less on your name tag. The main thing you need is the classmates name/maiden name and maybe where they live now. If it's a one class only reunion - assume all will know the year AND the school. If the name tag is for a spouse I add that below the name of the "wearer" of the tag. Too much on the badge makes it harder to read. I make the name in large enough letters it can be read by someone a couple feet away. Just a thought. And that is from doing ours over the past 4 reunions.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 7:22 PM - Response #4

Excellent suggestion Laura.

Our name tags were 3” X 4”

We had a small line-drawing of our school,
Classmates name - maiden and married for ladies,
Sr. Photo

I had a separate database for registered spouses [that were not classmates as well], that did NOT have the line drawing or a picture, but their name, and ‘Wife of AAAA or Husband of BBBB.'

I printed tags for EVERY classmate, as we expected, and did have, some class member’s show up who paid at the door.

Deceased classmates tags were put on an In Memory table, with a votive candle in front of each.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 7:51 PM - Response #5
Name-Tag-Page.jpg

Another alternative for printing name tags is using photo software to compose them where you have total control over the design, text, font, special effects, logos, etc. Class Creator is now recommending PhotoShop and Serif PhotoPlus for changing your website design using the Advanced Design templates and this type of software also works well for name tags. I did all our name tags using Serif PhotoPlus, but not with their Starter Edition.

Our only requirement was to display the photo and name text as large as possible. Unfortunately our committee purchased the plastic holders and colored print paper a long time ago so we went with a 3.5" x 2.25" size. A larger size would have been preferable. I came up with numerous designs and passed them around to committee members to vote on. The attached image linked above shows the method.

I used one simple template for all the name tag types, shown in the upper left corner. (I have shown a pink background only to show the extent of the template). The template only has two layers: one for the editable name text and one for the basic template design. The blank space is where the yearbook photo is merged in on a separate layer below the template. You can also easily re-size the original photo if necessary. The light gray edge border is part of the template, but not displayed on the final name tag. It is used as a guide to cut out the name tag to exact dimensions. The second image is the final name tag used for printing and the third image just shows the final name tag, printed at home in black on blue paper. The guest, volunteer, teacher and blank name tags where all composed in a similar fashion. When I completed eight name tags I would merge them all on to an image sheet for printing. Serif does not export jpg images to a pdf format but there are numerous free online sites that can do this or your printer/copy service can do it for you. If you print at home you do not need to convert a jpg image to a pdf file.

The whole process was rather simple ... if you know how to use the software. It just takes a little practice but learning the techniques can be used to enhance your website in other ways down the road.

Edited 02/10/13 7:54 PM
Monday, February 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM - Response #6

The range of included elements in the nametags is pretty broad, but you also have the option of NOT including most of them. The nametags feature cannot possibly be broad enough to meet the design needs of all users, but I believe we have covered a reasonable range. We may make some adjustments in the future, but in the meantime there are instructions linked at the bottom of the nametags page which will allow you to do your own completely custom tags or provide the content to a contractor who can do it for you.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.