ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can .wav files be added to a page?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/30/10 11:14 AM Views: 1933 Replies: 21
Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Just learned how to create .wav files with my computer and am wondering whether these can be added to a site web page and if so whether clicking on an icon might start playing the content of the .wav file.

We can put a lot of useful vocal instructions and questions for our classmates into a wav recording and then posting it to our site would be helpful.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 12:09 PM - Response #1

Yes.

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Click the Edit button next to any page
3) In your editor window click the chain link icon
4) Now click the File Vault button
5) Follow the directions on screen up upload your .wav file
6) Click the "Insert" link next to your wav file. This will automatically insert a clickable link to your .wav file on your page. When clicked it will launch the viewer's default music application, such as Windows Media Player on PCs or Quicktime on Mac.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 3:25 PM - Response #2

I have a .wav file of our school song and wanted to use our "running bulldog" on the home page to launch it. I linked it (I think) and it put a box around the bulldog graphic (which I don't want) and opened up a box that said "do you want to save this file?" Well, clearly that's not what I want. Any ideas? I would like the song either linked to a graphic or to the yearbook.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM - Response #3

Right click on your image, select image properties, and set the border to 0.

Other than that you've linked the wav perfectly. It's only asking if you want to save the file because your own computer doesn't know what to do with the .wav file type. That's pretty rare actually, most of the time the wav would just launch in the person's default wav playing application -- like Windows Media Player or Quicktime. If you want to see it work seamlessly, download Windows Media Player to your computer and install it, then try the process again.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM - Response #4
MS900431081[1].wav

Changing the border properties worked, and I have Windows Media Player installed, but I'm getting an error message with the file. I've attached it below but don't know if you can get it. If you can, would you mind giving it a try when you have time?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM - Response #5

I clicked the running dog and linked the file. Clicking on it now launches the file in the viewer's default .wav player.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM - Response #6

Sorry, Brad, but I am still getting a pop-up download box with the options to save or cancel. It says "The file you are downloading cannot be opened by the default program. It is either corrupted or it has an incorrect file type. As a security precaution, it is recommended that you cancel the download.

So, is it just me or will others get the same message. And how can I make the fix on my end and tell them how to do it on theirs.

I really appreciate your help. It's just a little thing, but I'd really like it to work.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 5:18 PM - Response #7

It's only on your end. Your computer doesn't know what to do with files that have the extension .wav. It's pretty rare like I said, most of the time this would launch somebody's Windows Media Player or Quicktime application. I'd reinstall Windows Media Player, which will fix your computer's ability to recognize the .wav file type (also called a MIME type), and then click the link again. You'll see this time it will play inside the Windows Media Player, which is what it will do for most other people now. Question for you: Would you rather have it work some other way, like having this music embedded on the page for instance?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM - Response #8

Actually, I would like it embedded so it just plays without opening a new window. I've "borrowed" this .wav link from the website of the school district, after requesting once that they send me an mp3 version and getting no response. And I only want it to play if a link/graphic is clicked, not to blare out everytime some logs on to the site. Should I just give up?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM - Response #9

It's very easy to make the sound play every time somebody loads the page, and it's also very easy to make the sound play in somebody's native wav player when the image is clicked, but making the sound play only when the image clicked without launching a third party player is a lot harder. For that you have to use JavaScript, which you can find on this page, or you have to build something like this in Flash and publish your own Flash file to embed on the page.

Alternatively, you might want to consider embedding a miniplayer with play button a slider directly under the image. This way people can click to play the sound and not leave the page, not to mention it will be more obvious to the viewer there is something to click on to hear a sound. I'd either do this, or use JavaScript, although JavaScript is probably more advanced than 9 out of 10 people here want to get into. The little player bar is easy though if you want me to help you do that. Let me know.

Edited 07/18/10 5:53 PM
Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 5:53 PM - Response #10

It's very easy to make the sound play every time somebody loads the page, and it's also very easy to make the sound play in somebody's native wav player when the image is clicked, but making the sound play only when the image clicked without launching a third party player is a lot harder. For that you have to use JavaScript, which you can find on this page -- http://www.jsmadeeasy.com/javascripts/Audio/list_test.asp -- or you have to build something like this in Flash and publish your own Flash file to embed on the page.

Alternatively, you might want to consider embedding a miniplayer with play button a slider directly under the image. This way people can click to play the sound and not leave the page, not to mention it will be more obvious to the viewer there is something to click on to hear a sound. I'd either do this, or use JavaScript, although JavaScript is probably more advanced than 9 out of 10 people here want to get into. The little player bar is easy though if you want me to help you do that. Let me know.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM - Response #11

Well, this ol' chick isn't touching Java Script. Could you put a little player right below the yearbook, and can you label the player "School Song?" Not that I'm asking for the moon or anything.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM - Response #12

We're still working on delivering the moon, but I'd be happy to help you with your school song. Have you uploaded it to File Vault?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM - Response #13
MHS School Song.htm

I am an idiot. I gave you wrong .wav file, and in fact have discovered I only have an html file, not a wav file of the school song. I did upload the html version to the vault, but I doubt that helps. Just tell me nicely that I am a nice idiot. Thanks for all the time you spent on this.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 10:58 PM - Response #14

The above isn't a URL to a website. Please post the website URL. If you have a URL where the song can be found, you can usually right-click on the music and say SAVE and save the WAV file to your hard drive. You can then take that WAV file and upload it to your file vault and then embed the music file on your website.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:12 PM - Response #15

Here's the url: http://www.mcpherson.com/418/alumni/song.html

I tried right clicking on it and can not access a wav file.

You guys are incredible...determined to help the helpless!

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM - Response #16

I see you can right click and get the source, but I can't tell where the source code begins and ends for the song. Maybe you can.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:24 PM - Response #17

On your home page, right below the Bull Dog and the cat, there is now a link that says "Click HERE for the FIGHT SONG". Click the link and see if that is what you want. It isn't actually a WAV file, it is a Quicktime Movie file. I haven't saved it to your File Vault, but it is still accessing the original on your high school district website.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM - Response #18

I uploaded the movie file to your File Vault (from a content editor, click the INSERT/EDIT LINK, then File Vault, then BROWSE, then UPLOAD). The file takes 4,473 KB, so it is QUITE LARGE. You can keep it there in the File Vault or continue to use the one in the link. The problem with using the link to your school district's website is that if they change the name of the file or move/delete the file, your link stops working.

Your File Vault is only 10% full (Currently storing 20.65 MB of available 200 MB (at 10.32% of File Vault capacity))

Sunday, July 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM - Response #19

Very cool, Kyle. Thank you so much. So let me ask you this. Can I link the running bulldog to the file and have it play without the window opening? That way I wouldn't be using the link from the website. I don't want to screw it up.

I've asked again for an mp3 file from the school IT person. If I get it, can I have that link to the running bulldog. You can see I am a little obsessed with making that bulldog play a tune!

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 12:23 AM - Response #20

There are only three options:
1. Have the running Bulldog open up a new window and play the fight song
2. Have clicking the running bulldog replace the contents of the current window with the music player and start playing the song
3. Have an embedded music player on the screen, but the bulldog doesn't start playing the song, the classmate needs to click the PLAY button. (I added an embedded player on your home page so you can see what it looks like)

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 11:48 AM - Response #21

The player option is perfect. Thank you so much!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.